Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499880 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1395 on: October 14, 2009, 08:49:15 AM »
I'm curious about who is (or isn't) looking forward to Where the Wild Things Are... who among our group grew up reading the book?  I didn't (I'm a bit too old to have) but many younger than I claim to revere it.  And what about those of you with kids of your own?  The movie is getting mixed reaction so far, but I found this interesting clip of an attempt by Disney to try animating it -- in 1983!  Directed by then-unknown John Lasseter, who is now guru of Pixar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvIDRoO8KnM&feature=related
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: October 14, 2009, 10:53:24 AM »
I'm curious about who is (or isn't) looking forward to Where the Wild Things Are... who among our group grew up reading the book?  I didn't (I'm a bit too old to have) but many younger than I claim to revere it.  And what about those of you with kids of your own?  The movie is getting mixed reaction so far, but I found this interesting clip of an attempt by Disney to try animating it -- in 1983!  Directed by then-unknown John Lasseter, who is now guru of Pixar.

I read it (or had it read to me) and I'm really looking fwd to it!
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1397 on: October 23, 2009, 07:43:53 PM »

did you see this?:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/23/us/23sfmetro.html
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: October 26, 2009, 02:23:05 PM »

did you see this?:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/23/us/23sfmetro.html

Yes -- the MovieBears are pretty famous at this point.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: October 26, 2009, 02:26:41 PM »
Oh. My. GAWD. Or perhaps I should say "Oy Vey!" -- Saw the new Coen Bros flick today, A Serious Man and LOVED it. One of their great ones, don't read anything about it, just GO.  Almost nobody you've heard of is in it, and it's all the better for that. 

It's getting some great reviews, but a sizable minority really hate it -- one critic called it "loathsome", and I'm totally gobsmaked how anyone could say that.

More fabulous Coen Bros news:  they're fast-tracking their remake of True Grit in hopes of a 2010 release. 

Jeff Bridges in the John Wayne role.
Matt Damon in the Glenn Campbell part.
Josh Brolin as the bad guy.

They haven't cast the girl yet.

This could end up as part of the answer to the trivia question  "have different actors ever won Oscars for playing the same role in separate films?"

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: October 30, 2009, 11:25:35 AM »
Who's going tonight, 8PM Friday 10/30, to the beautiful Paramount Theatre above 19th St BART in Oakland, to celebrate Halloween for just $5.00 with 1948's Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, also starring Bela Lugosi as Dracula and Lon Chaney Jr as the Wolfman!  Event includes live Wurlitzer organ, Dec-O-Win game, vintage newsreel/cartoon/coming attractions and main feature!  I'll be there. Details: http://www.paramounttheatre.com/schedule.html  Get there by 7:30pm to explore the restored art-deco lobby and theatre.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: October 30, 2009, 01:49:37 PM »
Who's going tonight, 8PM Friday 10/30, to the beautiful Paramount Theatre above 19th St BART in Oakland, to celebrate Halloween for just $5.00 with 1948's Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, also starring Bela Lugosi as Dracula and Lon Chaney Jr as the Wolfman!  Event includes live Wurlitzer organ, Dec-O-Win game, vintage newsreel/cartoon/coming attractions and main feature!  I'll be there. Details: http://www.paramounttheatre.com/schedule.html  Get there by 7:30pm to explore the restored art-deco lobby and theatre.

If I wasn't helping out at the Palace Hotel Ghost Tour (6:30, 2 New Montgomery St in downtown SF -- FREE!!) I might go to this.  The Paramount is one of the really spectacular deco specimens in the Bay Area, if not the nation.

Get there early and look around!
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: November 01, 2009, 09:15:20 PM »
I'm curious about who is (or isn't) looking forward to Where the Wild Things Are... who among our group grew up reading the book?

Belatedly replying - I was aware of WTWTA as a kid but honestly associated Maurice Sendak with Really Rosie, which Carole King set to music (I seriously need to buy that video for about 16 friends' kids).  I'm planning to go to it with my friend Andy, a WT aficionado (he's been wearing those images for as long as I've known him) - I made him wait for me while I was in SF.  Will report back.

Meantime, I saw Paranormal Activity this weekend.  I don't know what I can say that wouldn't be a spoiler.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: November 02, 2009, 07:40:42 AM »

Meantime, I saw Paranormal Activity this weekend.  I don't know what I can say that wouldn't be a spoiler. 

part of me wants to see PA because it's a pop-cultural phenom, but I *HATED* Blair Witch and don't want to be burned that way ever again.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: November 02, 2009, 07:47:35 AM »
tried to see Nightmare Before Christmas on Sat night, but missed it and instead went to Zombieland.  Enjoyed it a lot, nice cameo surprise in there...
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: November 02, 2009, 08:22:06 AM »
tried to see Nightmare Before Christmas on Sat night, but missed it and instead went to Zombieland.  Enjoyed it a lot, nice cameo surprise in there...

Indeed -- I knew it was coming, and it was still funny -- I can only imagine how cool it was if you didn't know ahead of time.  Irony of ironies: the cameo was orig supposed to be Patrick Swayze!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: November 02, 2009, 08:36:19 AM »

Indeed -- I knew it was coming, and it was still funny -- I can only imagine how cool it was if you didn't know ahead of time.  Irony of ironies: the cameo was orig supposed to be Patrick Swayze!

I can see that.  Swayze was sort of this generation's Robert Goulet:

The producer of a low budget film is trying to convince the newly hired director of the quality of the work by telling him the big names they've gotten for the cast.

"First of all," he tells him, "We've got Gibson in the lead."

The director is surprised, "You got Mel Gibson?"

"Well, no," the Producer responds, "we got Marvin Gibson, he's a distant cousin who lives in Queens, but he's very up and coming. And besides, we've also got Redford."

"You got Robert Redford?" the director asks.

"No, we got Jeremy Redford, but he's very talented and has lots of acting experience from years of dinner theater. But," he says enthusiastically, " we've got Streisand and in a singing role."

"Barbara Streisand?" he asks.

"No, Elizabeth Streisand." The Producer responds. "But she's got a great voice. AND we've got Goulet."

"You got Robert Goulet?" the director asks.

"Yes," the producer replies, "we got Robert Goulet."

(w apologies to Robert and Patrick)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 08:39:02 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: November 02, 2009, 09:35:08 AM »

I can see that.  Swayze was sort of this generation's Robert Goulet:

The producer of a low budget film is trying to convince the newly hired director of the quality of the work by telling him the big names they've gotten for the cast.

"First of all," he tells him, "We've got Gibson in the lead."

The director is surprised, "You got Mel Gibson?"

"Well, no," the Producer responds, "we got Marvin Gibson, he's a distant cousin who lives in Queens, but he's very up and coming. And besides, we've also got Redford."

"You got Robert Redford?" the director asks.

"No, we got Jeremy Redford, but he's very talented and has lots of acting experience from years of dinner theater. But," he says enthusiastically, " we've got Streisand and in a singing role."

"Barbara Streisand?" he asks.

"No, Elizabeth Streisand." The Producer responds. "But she's got a great voice. AND we've got Goulet."

"You got Robert Goulet?" the director asks.

"Yes," the producer replies, "we got Robert Goulet."

(w apologies to Robert and Patrick)

Hah! I once saw David Johansen doing his Buster Poindexter schtick, and he told that same joke.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: November 02, 2009, 09:36:45 AM »
Hah! I once saw David Johansen doing his Buster Poindexter schtick, and he told that same joke.

YES!  he told it on the Tonight Show, as I recall, and Johnny Carson *loved* it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: November 02, 2009, 10:29:24 AM »

YES!  he told it on the Tonight Show, as I recall, and Johnny Carson *loved* it.

I saw that too!  (or maybe I saw Buster do it in his act, which I caught in 88 or 89.)
~CPL593H~