Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 536085 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #615 on: April 02, 2007, 03:59:38 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
goodbye, america - the al lewis um...documentary, i guess. terribly moving. what an amazing life!!! what an amazing man! power to the people. from the people.

Is this the movie:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0943381/

no. surprisingly, it's not listed in imdb, at all. and i couldn't find much online about it, either. i figured it would be banned from the big theatres in the states, but i hadn't counted on almost complete censorship.

here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llSAWdgPOb4

maybe it just hasn't been released in the states, yet. it should still be listed in imdb, though.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #616 on: April 07, 2007, 08:44:38 PM »
Thanks to the Independent Film Channel, I just saw (for the first time, amazingly) Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, the "legendary" 1970 Russ Meyer film (screenplay by Roger Ebert!).  Dear god, what an awful movie. Talk about a dirty-minded middle-aged man's idea of what those crazy, sexually liberated under-30's were up to in the California of the late '60s! (yes, I realize that Ebert was barely 30 himself at the time, but he was a film nerd who probably saw working with Meyer as a great way to meet hot chicks with big tits). There are also songs performed by the film's notion of an all-girl rock band, The Carrie Nations, some of which are decent knock-offs of the Calif rock of the time.

I have a very low tolerance for bad camp, and I totally do not "get" Meyer, nor do I understand the cult following he has.  Granted, naked women with humongous breasts were a rarity in those pre-VCR, pre-internet days, but that's really the only selling point his badly acted, ridiculously plotted films have (with the possible exception of The Seven Minutes, the courtroom drama FOX made him do as penance for BTVOTD).  "Beyond"'s one saving grace: a cameo by the Strawberry Alarm Clock.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #617 on: April 08, 2007, 01:16:37 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
"Beyond"'s one saving grace: a cameo by the Strawberry Alarm Clock.

"girl from the city?"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #618 on: April 08, 2007, 07:37:02 PM »
"Beyond"'s one saving grace: a cameo by the Strawberry Alarm Clock.

"girl from the city?"

uh, they did "Incense & Peps" and (I think) one other song during a party scene; damned if I can name it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #619 on: April 12, 2007, 08:24:10 AM »
From a hollywood-elsewhere.com posting, in a thread about the forthcoming Get Smart! movie starring Steve Carrell (the script is rumored to be just f--ing awful):

"How about Steven Soderburgh's 'Barney Miller', with George Clooney as Barney, Don Cheadle as Harris, Elliott Gould as Fish, Vince Vaughn as Wojo, Salma Hayek as Wentworth, Benecio Del Toro as Chano, Mark Ruffalo as Dietrich, Jack Nicholson as Inspector Lugar and --through the magic of CGI -- Jack Soo returns as Yemana!"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #620 on: April 17, 2007, 12:27:54 PM »
Eric Bana we hardly knew ye...

They're doing another "Hulk" movie, this time starring... Edward Norton!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/logout?blogid=3&entry_id=15424

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #621 on: April 17, 2007, 12:35:04 PM »
From a hollywood-elsewhere.com posting, in a thread about the forthcoming Get Smart! movie starring Steve Carrell (the script is rumored to be just f--ing awful):

"How about Steven Soderburgh's 'Barney Miller', with George Clooney as Barney, Don Cheadle as Harris, Elliott Gould as Fish, Vince Vaughn as Wojo, Salma Hayek as Wentworth, Benecio Del Toro as Chano, Mark Ruffalo as Dietrich, Jack Nicholson as Inspector Lugar and --through the magic of CGI -- Jack Soo returns as Yemana!"

I'd have Lucy Lui as Yemana, in a surprise twist.  But then, I think Lucy Lui should be in every movie. :wink:
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #622 on: April 20, 2007, 06:02:56 PM »
The princess will be especially excited to know that Terrence Howard will by playing Charley Pride in a forthcoming biopic.

Oh and there's a Jerry Garcia flick in development: Jack Black, Paul Giamatti anf Sean Penn are all seen as potential Jerrys.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #623 on: April 20, 2007, 08:10:08 PM »
Oh and there's a Jerry Garcia flick in development: Jack Black, Paul Giamatti anf Sean Penn are all seen as potential Jerrys.

I would've cast Horatio Sanz.

This is why I have an unnodding relationship with film.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
The Movie Thread
« Reply #624 on: April 20, 2007, 09:45:49 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

I would've cast Horatio Sanz.

This is why I have an unnodding relationship with film.
:(
I'm not sure any of the mentioned actors could do it.  Horatio? Jeez!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #625 on: April 24, 2007, 10:13:22 PM »
saw Fracture today on my lunch hour, highly recommendable.

...but speaking of actors recommended for which parts in a remake...have you seen that Hairspray has come full circle, from movie to musical to movie-musical?  And have you seen who is cast in the Divine role?  Literally had me LOL in the theater, and I had to hold onto the armrest not to ROTFL.  Truthfully.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #626 on: April 25, 2007, 04:24:28 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

...but speaking of actors recommended for which parts in a remake...have you seen that Hairspray has come full circle, from movie to musical to movie-musical?  And have you seen who is cast in the Divine role?  Literally had me LOL in the theater, and I had to hold onto the armrest not to ROTFL.  Truthfully.

travolta and latifah together, at last!

i'm scurred.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #627 on: April 25, 2007, 08:50:34 AM »

They passed the time on the set trading closet stories.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #628 on: April 25, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »

They also played an impromptu card game with Paul Carrack and his band, who were smoking dro throughout.  They won, because two Queens beats Ace high.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #629 on: April 26, 2007, 12:49:50 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

They also played an impromptu card game with Paul Carrack and his band, who were smoking dro throughout.  They won, because two Queens beats Ace high.

i have a feeling you've been waiting for a loooooooooong time to use that one.