Author Topic: The TV Thread: Networks, cable, shows on DVD.  (Read 105582 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The TV Thread: Networks, cable, shows on DVD.
« Reply #225 on: March 24, 2012, 10:00:19 AM »
hearing spots on CKRU indicating that ABC Family is re-branding itself as "ABC Spark" in  Canada. Guess the Canucks finally got sick of Pat Robertson.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 07, 2012, 12:04:32 PM »
Centric is doing another "Soul Train" marathon today. HAAAAY!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 19, 2012, 08:47:56 PM »
Me-TV has resurrected The Mothers-in-Law, which I surely haven't seen since it aired in the late '60s. They're showing the pilot episode -- even preceded it with the NBC peacock!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 21, 2012, 07:58:36 PM »
More Me-TV summer hi-jinx: They're showing the first 2 episodes of Batman at 8:00, and at 9 the very first Get Smart!

OMG: the first Batman was partially filmed at the New York, er I mean Gotham City World's Fair of 1965! (well OK it's stock footage but still, it brought back childhood memories.)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:06:42 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 30, 2012, 12:46:38 PM »
Magic Johnson's new "Aspire" cable channel, aimed at black families, premiered yesterday, and it's available here on Comcast ch. 480 -- most interesting are the old shows, like the first Bill Cosby sitcom (the gym teacher one) which also airs on RetroTV, and reruns of Flip Wilson (yay!) and Diahann Carroll's Julia which I haven't seen in decades.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 07, 2012, 11:06:26 AM »
in addition to the Andy Griffith marathon on TVLand, I noticed that Retro-TV (Comcast ch. 21) is showing old Soupy Sales shows at 2pm on Saturdays.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 07, 2012, 10:19:24 PM »
Me-TV has been running some VERY old "Svengoolie" episodes on Sat nites. Tonite they're showing one with Jean Vander Pyl (voice of Wilma Flintstone) and Janet Waldo (Judy Jetson) and Miss Vander Pyl died in 1999!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 07, 2012, 10:46:26 PM »
Mike --are you watching Newsroom on HBO?  I like it quite a bit though it has problems (mainly, for me, believability -- lots of coincendences in the 1st episode), but I really dig the characters.  The writing is crisp if self-serving, and the message resonates.  I have absolutely no hope that it will open anyone's eyes.  In our bi-polar political world, the best we can hope for is preaching to the choir.

"I don't know ... Yosemite!?!" 

Such a great answer.

and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 08, 2012, 09:24:27 AM »
Mike --are you watching Newsroom on HBO?  I like it quite a bit though it has problems (mainly, for me, believability -- lots of coincendences in the 1st episode), but I really dig the characters.  The writing is crisp if self-serving, and the message resonates.  I have absolutely no hope that it will open anyone's eyes.  In our bi-polar political world, the best we can hope for is preaching to the choir.

"I don't know ... Yosemite!?!" 

Such a great answer.

Yes -- I'm watching and enjoying. It's typical Sorkin, which is what I was expecting. You either like and agree with him or you don't. The plotlines involving the younger characters' love lives are less interesting to me than the political stuff.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 09, 2012, 09:21:19 AM »
"Newsroom" has been very good through three episodes, if not exactly at warp speed. As RGMike relates, I could go without the romantics involving Allison Pill (although she is pleasant to look at).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 09, 2012, 10:20:14 AM »
"Newsroom" has been very good through three episodes, if not exactly at warp speed. As RGMike relates, I could go without the romantics involving Allison Pill (although she is pleasant to look at).

as I wasn't home last nite and won't be tonite, I won't catch up with Ep 3 until later in the week. One of the young actors, John Gallagher Jr is a guy I've now seen 3 times on stage: in Spring Awakening on B'way in 2007; in American Idiot at Berkeley Rep 2 years ago and last year on B'way in Jerusalem. He's talented (and clearly has a good agent).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 15, 2012, 11:50:19 AM »
FYI, KCNS ch. 38 in San Francisco (21 on Comcast cable) has dropped Retro TV (RTV) in favor of Mundo Fox, the new Spanish language service of Fox Television. So, no more Naked City or Soupy Sales. But if you wanna see American Dad dubbed en espanol... now you can!

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 02, 2012, 06:52:08 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 14, 2012, 10:52:20 AM »
Magical Mystery Tour -- whcih I've never seen -- will be on PBS tonite. Check local listings.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile