Author Topic: The TV Thread: Networks, cable, shows on DVD.  (Read 105760 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: The TV Thread: Networks, cable, shows on DVD.
« Reply #210 on: December 22, 2011, 06:12:44 PM »
As promised: Me-TV is back on cable!  Comcast ch. 196 beginning today.
Thanks for the heads up Mike.  Watching "The Rifleman" right now, with Sammy Davis Jr as a "fast draw artist" with a secret.  Awesome. ;)

ETA:  It was really cool.  They pretty much ignore Sammy is black in the late 1800s.  They just treat him as another gunfighter, as if the color of his skin did not matter.  It's like he was playing Hamlet -- just an actor, playing a character.  Not a black actor playing a black character.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 09:51:55 PM by Lightnin' Rod »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 22, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »
As promised: Me-TV is back on cable!  Comcast ch. 196 beginning today.
Thanks for the heads up Mike.  Watching "The Rifleman" right now, with Sammy Davis Jr as a "fast draw artist" with a secret.  Awesome. ;)

ETA:  It was really cool.  They pretty much ignore Sammy is black in the late 1800s.  They just treat him as another gunfighter, as if the color of his skin did not matter.  It's like he was playing Hamlet -- just an actor, playing a character.  Not a black actor playing a black character.

That was his "secret" -- nobody knew he was black!

Just in time for Christmas -- Me-TV is showing (among other things) on Saturday the "He-Man and She-Ra Xmas Special" (!), "The Fat Albert Xmas Special" (!!) and my all-time fave "Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol".  Ho Ho Holy crap!

« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 04:03:16 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 24, 2011, 04:40:17 PM »
It's not quite "Scrooge's Rock'n'Roll Xmas" but Me-TV is showing a 1995 animated version of The Snow Queen --really cheap, crappy-looking animation and voices by the likes of Helen Mirren and Hugh Laurie.  When I was 5 or 6, there was a beautiful Russian version of "Snow Queen" that got released in US theaters -- it was very Disney-ish and they got Americans like Sandra Dee and Tommy Kirk to dub the voices. I don't think it's been seen anywhere in decades.

ETA: and now it's the 1968 Rankin/Bass "Little Drummer Boy" -- I haven't  seen it since then, probably. It's no "Rudolph". And unlike the other Rankin/Bass classics... which have consistently been rerun on network TV and digitally spruced-up... this one looks like it needs a good cleaning.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 07:13:18 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 25, 2011, 05:34:47 PM »
KMTP's schedules shows "Christmas Special" from 6-to-9 tonite, with no description.  Not sure if it involves "Scrooge's Rock'n'Roll Xmas" but my fingers are crossed.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 31, 2011, 08:59:58 PM »
Cee-Lo singing "Imagine" on CNN. Not bad. But jeezus Kathy Griffin Will. Not. Shut. UP! It's one thing to be Anderson Cooper's foil on these annual shows, but let the guy get a word in edgewise. Sheesh.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 01, 2012, 07:04:08 PM »
Sy-Fy's Twilight Zone marathon climaxes tonite with "To Serve Man" at 10:30 and the Shatner classic "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" at 11:30.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 02, 2012, 10:31:34 AM »
Versus officially becomes NBC Sports Network today. And they'll celebrate with a Sharks game at 5:00.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 07, 2012, 12:59:03 PM »
Cee-Lo singing "Imagine" on CNN. Not bad. But jeezus Kathy Griffin Will. Not. Shut. UP! It's one thing to be Anderson Cooper's foil on these annual shows, but let the guy get a word in edgewise. Sheesh.

Even tho' I was watching on NYE, I missed the Cee-Lo lyric switch. So "Fuck You" Mr Green...

http://www.billboard.com/news/cee-lo-green-adds-religion-to-imagine-fueling-1005775352.story#/news/cee-lo-green-adds-religion-to-imagine-fueling-1005775352.story 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 08, 2012, 08:16:31 PM »
Jeez, this is an exceptionally bad Simpsons episode tonite -- parodying Glenn Beck about 3 years too late. WTF?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 21, 2012, 04:46:36 PM »
OMFG: a 6-hour "Dudley Do-Right" marathon starts at 5 on KOFY TV-20. 

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Slipping into something
And out of something else

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #221 on: February 13, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
This one could be interesting.

http://news.yahoo.com/bill-clinton-struggled-deal-lewinsky-affair-film-says-190417178--abc-news.html
I can't believe anyone would use what that perv-weasel Dick Morris would say.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 24, 2012, 09:18:48 PM »
My wife and I are watching Season 1 of Damages, and it is way over the top, like all TV dramas, but I appreciate how it shows that it actually takes time to build a case. Like a whole season's worth of episodes. Most legal dramas skip through all of the pre-trial stuff because it's assumed to be boring and go from incident to trial within the same episode. Damages is able to create drama from the pre-trial process, which can be interesting at times, even in real life. Of course, liberally sprinkling that process with crime and evil helps the drama along.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 28, 2012, 08:30:12 PM »
If you've not watched Key & Peele, Comedy Central's new sketch show starring a black duo (formerly of MadTV), it's quite funny. They just did a rap-video parody called "Shot in the Dick" that was hilarious.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 14, 2012, 11:57:18 AM »
If you've not watched Key & Peele, Comedy Central's new sketch show starring a black duo (formerly of MadTV), it's quite funny. They just did a rap-video parody called "Shot in the Dick" that was hilarious.

lat nite Key & peele did a bit called "Bobby Mcferrin vs Michael Winslow" that was (IMHO) genius:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFfia3Zs3lE

and in other news, Seth McFarlane is rebooting The Flintstones. Yabba dabba Giggity? Oy.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/03/12/flintstones-show-reboot-seth-macfarlane?hpt=hp_bn13