Author Topic: The TV Thread: Networks, cable, shows on DVD.  (Read 105733 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The TV Thread: Networks, cable, shows on DVD.
« Reply #150 on: August 21, 2011, 08:38:55 PM »
So I've been watching the Mary Tyler Moore reruns on MeTV (Comcast Ch 31) and every nite in the credits I see

Camera Coordinator...................Don Bustany

Gee, couldn't possibly be the same Don Bustany who co-created and produced AT40 with Casey Kasem, could it?

Yup!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Bustany
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2011, 09:09:29 PM »
Attention!  Tonight 10pm to 11pm on KOFY-TV20 Retro Night its Rocky, Bullwinkle & Friends!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2011, 07:07:32 PM »
Now I've seen everything: They're now selling digitally inserted product-placement in reruns of old shows.  I'm sitting here watching an old "How I Met Your Mother", and on the wall behind them in McClaren's Bar is a poster for "Our Idiot Brother", the Paul Rudd movie that opens this week!  And sure enuf, in the closing credits they inserted a "promotion consideration: the Weinstein Co" acknowledgement.  Un-fucking-believable.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2011, 11:14:24 PM »
Hard to believe there are THREE (count 'em) cheezy horror movie fests on, all at the same time, each worse than the other: "Wolfman Mac" on Retro-TV is showing Horror of Party Beach, "Svengoolie" on MeTV is unspooling Tarantula, and our own local "Creepy KOFY MovieTime" has Wolfman vs. the Vampire Woman.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 18, 2011, 06:54:21 PM »
Granted, last year's Emmys was the best show in years, thanks to Jimmy Fallon, but what a woefully mixed bag so far tonite. Some funny bits mixed in but that snarky announcer making, er, snarky comments (a bit stolen from John Hodgman who did it far better last year) is just horrid. "My favorite Marx Brother is Richard"? Oy.

Oh, and Anna Paquin is taller than Scott Caan? Holy fuck.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 06:58:01 PM by RGMike »

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2011, 09:44:11 AM »
It's good to see that Peter Dinklage won for his role as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones.  On the other hand, it goes to show that if you have the best role, it's easier to win.  Tyrion is easily the most interesting character in the story.  Dinklage does well to, uh, measure up to the role.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2011, 09:52:41 AM »
It's good to see that Peter Dinklage won for his role as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones.  On the other hand, it goes to show that if you have the best role, it's easier to win.  Tyrion is easily the most interesting character in the story.  Dinklage does well to, uh, measure up to the role.

And he's the only guy on H'wood that Scott Caan is taller than.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2011, 07:28:38 PM »
the new Fall Schedule at Comedy Central:  adding 30 Rock reruns... good. Moving the Daily Show/Colbert Report replay to 6pm (from 7)... bad idea.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2011, 09:33:32 PM »
the new Fall Schedule at Comedy Central:  adding 30 Rock reruns... good. Moving the Daily Show/Colbert Report replay to 6pm (from 7)... bad idea.
are they going to change the HD broadcast time?  It's been great to be able to see it at 8PM
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 22, 2011, 12:00:42 PM »
If you were thinking of watching the Charlie's Angels reboot tonite... Tim Goodman says Don't. Even. Go. There.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/charlies-angels-tv-review-238843

I especially love his comments about Minka Kelly -- so much for Derek Jeter's taste in women! (tho' I guess he didn't date her for her, um, acting ability.)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:19:30 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 22, 2011, 08:29:40 PM »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 22, 2011, 08:51:29 PM »
If you were thinking of watching the Charlie's Angels reboot tonite... Tim Goodman says Don't. Even. Go. There.

I especially love his comments about Minka Kelly -- so much for Derek Jeter's taste in women! (tho' I guess he didn't date her for her, um, acting ability.)

Goodman certainly didn't mince words. On the other hand, did anyone think that piece was a tad brief? I'm sure Tim could have easily dissected it even further (and would have joyfully done so) had he been allowed a bit more length. Are all reviews in the Reporter that succinct?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 22, 2011, 09:00:50 PM »

Goodman certainly didn't mince words. On the other hand, did anyone think that piece was a tad brief? I'm sure Tim could have easily dissected it even further (and would have joyfully done so) had he been allowed a bit more length. Are all reviews in the Reporter that succinct?

A lot of them *are* that short because he posts multiple pieces each day, esp at this time of year when there are dozens of new shows -- he's trying to hit them all, unlike in his Chron days when he had to be selective. OTOH, the HR is ALL ABOUT H'wood. As often as I disagree with him, he's really nailed some stuff lately -- I totally agreed with his assessment of the mediocre Emmy Show, which I was shocked to see a lot of critics were quite kind to.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 09:03:01 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 29, 2011, 08:07:33 PM »
So I've been watching the Mary Tyler Moore reruns on MeTV (Comcast Ch 31) ...

God-DAMMITT! Channel 31 (actually channel 50 from Santa Rosa, KFTY) has been sold and they just switched to AztecaAmerica today. No more MTM, Newhart, etc. And the "Chuckles Bites the Dust" ep of MTM was coming up this week.  I'm majorly pissed right now.

ETA: rumor has it that Channel 42 (KTNC, currently Spanish) and Channel 38 (KCNS, currently running RTV, which is similar but inferior to Me-TV) are both "possibly interested" in picking up Me-TV.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:45:46 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 30, 2011, 08:49:33 PM »

A lot of them *are* that short because he posts multiple pieces each day, esp at this time of year when there are dozens of new shows -- he's trying to hit them all, unlike in his Chron days when he had to be selective. OTOH, the HR is ALL ABOUT H'wood. As often as I disagree with him, he's really nailed some stuff lately -- I totally agreed with his assessment of the mediocre Emmy Show, which I was shocked to see a lot of critics were quite kind to.

and so as soon as I think Tim Goodman's taste is improving... I'm watching Suburgatory, about which he raved... and it is PAINFUL. And the promos for that new Tim Allen sitcom... OY.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 08:53:12 PM by RGMike »