Author Topic: The TV Thread: Networks, cable, shows on DVD.  (Read 106453 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The TV Thread: Networks, cable, shows on DVD.
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2010, 12:51:37 AM »
TBS: Very Funny. And now even funnier, as Conan bypasses FOX to sign with Mr Turner's channel:

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/12/conan-obrien-will-do-a-late-night-show-on-tbs/?hp

I was kinda baffled by that.  It's like if Matt Holliday had signed with the Pirates.

Speculation is, although they haven't disclosed terms yet, Ted T. busted out the checkbook and gave him approximately as much as he was getting from his old NBC contract. Frankly, I'd much rather he be on TBS than on Fox. It's a smart move for them, too. He'll be on at 11, so getting a half-hour jump on Leno & Letterman. I found it ironic though, that George Lopez is doing for TBS exactly what Conan refused to do for NBC--move his show back to accomodate somebody else.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010, 02:42:19 PM »
Anyone else here been watching Treme on HBO? last nite was the next-to-last ep of the season (it's been renewed) and the was a semi-gobsmacking plot turn that I'm sure threw some viewers for a loop.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2010, 10:41:32 AM »
Anyone else here been watching Treme on HBO? last nite was the next-to-last ep of the season (it's been renewed) and the was a semi-gobsmacking plot turn that I'm sure threw some viewers for a loop.

I am watching (thanks to On Demand, because I go to bed early on Sundays).  I like it a lot, and have a deeper appreciation of NO music than I've had before.  Lot's of The Wire alumni make it fun too.  I saw the plot turn you mention coming, but was hoping they would find a way not to go there...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 10:51:12 AM »

I am watching (thanks to On Demand, because I go to bed early on Sundays).  I like it a lot, and have a deeper appreciation of NO music than I've had before.  Lot's of The Wire alumni make it fun too.  I saw the plot turn you mention coming, but was hoping they would find a way not to go there...

**SPOILER AHEAD**

Well, they did enuf "foreshadowing" that it wasn't a shock.  But I wondered all season why his name wasn't in the opening credits (his part was as big as Steve Zahn's. or Melissa Leo's, or any of 'em). So a couple weeks ago I guessed that something was gonna happen to that character before the season ended, tho' I was thinking more "heart attack".  And I didn't know that the real-life person he was based on also died after Katrina.  the Treme blog on the NO Times-Picayune website has been very helpful:

http://www.nola.com/treme-hbo/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:56:42 AM by RGMike »

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2010, 09:19:49 AM »

**SPOILER AHEAD**

Well, they did enuf "foreshadowing" that it wasn't a shock.  But I wondered all season why his name wasn't in the opening credits (his part was as big as Steve Zahn's. or Melissa Leo's, or any of 'em). So a couple weeks ago I guessed that something was gonna happen to that character before the season ended, tho' I was thinking more "heart attack".  And I didn't know that the real-life person he was based on also died after Katrina.  the Treme blog on the NO Times-Picayune website has been very helpful:

http://www.nola.com/treme-hbo/

He was first on the after credits, and all on his own, where the rest of the cast (or maybe just guests?) are in bunches moving really quick.  His rants were great -- he'd go into full The Big Lebowski mode.  I think I'll change my sig quote....
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 08:55:33 AM »
I continue to be surprised and pleased at how funny Hot in Cleveland, the new sitcom on TVLand has turned out to be. (And not just because eveybody loves Betty White.)  An old-school set-up, yes, but sharp writing, delivered by pros. Last nite Miss White dated Carl Reiner; next week Huey Lewis guest stars as a RnRHoF bad-boy (well, it *is* Cleveland) who once had a steamy affair with the Wendie Malick character (who's a former soap star). Wonder if they'll mention Huey's infamous, er, you know.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:57:08 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2010, 08:07:39 PM »
IFC has resurrected the much-beloved but ratings-challenged Judd Apatow series Freaks & Geeks.  James Franco! Seth Rogen! Jason Segel!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2010, 07:53:39 AM »
IFC has resurrected the much-beloved but ratings-challenged Judd Apatow series Freaks & Geeks.  James Franco! Seth Rogen! Jason Segel!

I've been meaning to catch up on that.  The IFC network often surprises me.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2010, 11:32:55 AM »
which comcast channel?  I probably don't have it.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2010, 12:03:31 PM »

IFC is ch. 503 on Comcast Digital.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2010, 09:59:51 PM »

IFC is ch. 503 on Comcast Digital.
Alas, our package doesn't include that.  I hate to sound like an old fogey (hard to help at times!) but jeez, it seems like Comcast charges a shitload of money to run a wire into your house!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2010, 11:05:46 AM »
Holy crap! KOFY TV20 is now showing The Flying Nun in the 11am slot.  I think I need to get outta the house.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2010, 08:37:51 PM »
Line of the week: a character on Futurama just gave someone the Vulcan Death Grip, and after the victim fell to the floor, Death Grip Guy said: "Mama said Spock you out!"

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2010, 02:08:42 PM »
Line of the week: a character on Futurama just gave someone the Vulcan Death Grip, and after the victim fell to the floor, Death Grip Guy said: "Mama said Spock you out!"
;D

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2010, 11:12:06 AM »
Mad Men season premiere Sunday nite!  3 seasons of Sterling-Cooper pickup lines in a convenient montage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjhvtNs48SE&feature=player_embedded