Author Topic: The TV Thread: Networks, cable, shows on DVD.  (Read 105716 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows on DVD and/or cable
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 02:10:20 PM »
Geoff might be interested to see that Paul Gross, who was in one of his favorite shows, Due South,

and then turned up in Slings & Arrows, is now playing the Jack Nicholson "Devil" role in a TV-reworking of Witches of Eastwick, called simply Eastwick, which premieres tonite on ABC. Tim Goodman gave it a "meh" review today.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 06:50:36 PM »
Geoff might be interested to see that Paul Gross, who was in one of his favorite shows, Due South,

and then turned up in Slings & Arrows, is now playing the Jack Nicholson "Devil" role in a TV-reworking of Witches of Eastwick, called simply Eastwick, which premieres tonite on ABC. Tim Goodman gave it a "meh" review today.
thanks for the tip!  Sounds like something I'd never watch, but if Paul is going to be in it...
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 08:42:04 PM »
thanks for the tip!  Sounds like something I'd never watch, but if Paul is going to be in it...

I meant to mention he was also Brian in Tales of the City.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 09:09:22 PM »

I meant to mention he was also Brian in Tales of the City.
Well, "Tales" was pre-DS, so it doesn't really count for me!
 ;)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 01:17:03 PM »
If any of you don't have IFC on your cable menu --- demand it ASAP. I discovered last nite that they're showing all the old episodes of The Prisoner -- 3 eps back-to-back every Friday.  (Of course, this serves as a promo for the remake coming in November on AMC.)  But IFC also has a 6-hour documentary this month, an all-new "definitive history" of Monty Python. AND they're going to be running Arrested Development reruns on Sunday nites.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 10:10:42 PM »
anyone else with cable notice that the Weather Channel's picture froze in the middle of a forecast at 2:09am Friday and has remained frozen ever since?  It's going on 48 hours at this point...  I called Comcast around noon today and was connected to someone (who clearly was not speaking to me from inside the US) and they said it would be fixed  "shortly". Hah!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:08:04 AM by RGMike »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 10:28:36 PM »
anyone else with cable notice that the Weather Channel's picture froze in the middle of a forecast at 2:09am Friday and has remained frozen ever since?  It's going on 48 hours at this point...  I called Comcast around noon today and was connected to someone (who clearly was not speaking to me from inside the US) and they said it would be fixed  "shortly". Hah!
mine's working at this hour.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:08:26 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 10:06:50 AM »
mine's working at this hour.

It was restored late Sunday afternoon -- only took 2-1/2 DAYS to fix it!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:08:39 AM by RGMike »

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 11:11:12 AM »
anyone else watch "Lie To Me"?  It's on Mondays on Fox, and if you don't know, I highly recommend it.  It was a mid-season replacement last spring & arguably the best of the lot, but what interests me here is the types of 'ripped from the headlines' topics that they are adressing.  The season premier made a reference to "running of to Argentina with your girlfriend" and generally they are tackling issues in a very non-Fox way.  Which is great, but I just wonder when someone is going to tell Rupert about it.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The TV Thread: Networks, cable, shows on DVD.
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 10:48:53 AM »
From a duplicate TV Thread that has now been deleted:

In case you weren't keeping up with the late night shenangingans at NBC, here is a really funny summary in animated style from a Taiwan news broadcast.  You don't need to speak chinese to find it hysterical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ9m1an-pQ8

similar to the Tiger Woods stuff they did last month that got extensive play on Olbermann's show.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 10:01:21 PM »
recently watched the entire series of "Spaced" (only 14 eps of 24 min each, two DVDs from Netflix).  Highly recommended! 

Simon Pegg co-stars and co-wrote this series.  Lots of great editing, sharp & funny writing, many MANY pop culture and sci-fi references and allusions.  (I would recommend watching the DVD with the second subtitle feature on, which tells you what the references are.)

The protagonists include an aspiring writer, and aspiring comic book artist (Pegg), and aspiring artist (played by mark Heap) it's got somewhat of a cult following -- I found it by just searching for highly rated British comedies on Netflix.  well worth it!
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 11:15:29 PM »
recently watched the entire series of "Spaced" (only 14 eps of 24 min each, two DVDs from Netflix).  Highly recommended! 

Simon Pegg co-stars and co-wrote this series.  Lots of great editing, sharp & funny writing, many MANY pop culture and sci-fi references and allusions.  (I would recommend watching the DVD with the second subtitle feature on, which tells you what the references are.)

The protagonists include an aspiring writer, and aspiring comic book artist (Pegg), and aspiring artist (played by mark Heap) it's got somewhat of a cult following -- I found it by just searching for highly rated British comedies on Netflix.  well worth it!

Was Pegg the guy who played the title role in Shaun of the Dead? He's good--I've run across him in a few other things since then. I'll add that to our (ever lengthening) Netflix queue.

We just got Moon, the scifi flic directed by Duncan (Zowie Bowie) Jones. Looking forward to seeing it.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2010, 07:40:07 AM »

Was Pegg the guy who played the title role in Shaun of the Dead? He's good--I've run across him in a few other things since then. I'll add that to our (ever lengthening) Netflix queue.

We just got Moon, the scifi flic directed by Duncan (Zowie Bowie) Jones. Looking forward to seeing it.

yes, and Pegg was also Scotty in the Star Trek reboot.

Moon is one of my fave underseen flicks of 2009. Hope ya like it. And as long as you're adding to the NetFlix list:

Sugar
District 9
Summer Hours
The Hurt Locker
In the Loop
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 07:45:44 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2010, 11:57:54 AM »
TBS: Very Funny. And now even funnier, as Conan bypasses FOX to sign with Mr Turner's channel:

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/12/conan-obrien-will-do-a-late-night-show-on-tbs/?hp

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2010, 11:04:13 PM »
TBS: Very Funny. And now even funnier, as Conan bypasses FOX to sign with Mr Turner's channel:

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/12/conan-obrien-will-do-a-late-night-show-on-tbs/?hp

I was kinda baffled by that.  It's like if Matt Holliday had signed with the Pirates.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”