Author Topic: The Tech Thread (was "Buying tech stuff online")  (Read 44047 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Buying tech stuff online
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 03:19:26 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
i was pretty happy with t-mobile, but i don't remember why. maybe it was the picture of zeta on my phone. i had unlimited eves and weekends, too. for somewhere around $50.

Unlimited eves & weekends with CZJ for 50 simoleans?  Damn!  No wonder Michael Douglas is a sex addict...

that's a MILF even *i* could afford!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Buying tech stuff online
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 11:35:28 AM »
For those contemplating an HD Radio (is that KFOG 10@10 Channel broadcasting yet?), here's one that damn cheap (half the cost of its cheapest rival):

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/31/technology/31radio.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Buying tech stuff online
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 12:55:12 PM »
I guess this thread will work:

I am in the market for an MP3 player, but don't know all that much about them.  

Should I go iPod?  I don't have major philosophical objections to apple products, but don't want to pay a premium for the apple trademark either.  

All I want my device to do is play music.  I would think 2 Gigs would hold all the music I'll ever need.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Buying tech stuff online
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 01:25:59 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"

Should I go iPod?  I don't have major philosophical objections to apple products, but don't want to pay a premium for the apple trademark either.  

All I want my device to do is play music.  I would think 2 Gigs would hold all the music I'll ever need.

I am quickly becoming an expert on MP3 players.

Do you want it to have much in the way of display features?  Will you want to easily manage your content (adding, subtracting, making new playlists, etc) or will you just load it up once & then hit shuffle most of the time?

You can get 2GB in a small no-name player for under $40 at Fry's (I have one).
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Buying tech stuff online
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 02:36:04 PM »

I have a dinky Chinese knockoff courtesy of the unscrupulous street vendor who sold it to my roommate for about $20.  It doesn't play the MP3s I ripped from CD via iTunes (proprietary format? DRM thing?), it only holds about 50 songs, and the battery power's only good for at best 90 min. of playback (in other words, I can use it for the commutes to and from work or for a run, and that's it).

Which doesn't help you, I know.  But I'm warming to the idea that if you're gonna do it, do it right, and so when I've saved up the cash, I think I will go for a higher-end iPod.  For me, it's important to have 2hrs.+ battery power, ease of organizing files (oh yeah, this knockoff has no sorting function), and a directory as big as my audio appetite.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
MP3
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 02:40:48 PM »

I don't think I'm just being an Apple-phile here, so here's my advice:

At the minimum, get an iPod nano.  It's small, easy to carry around, and has lots of music.  Later on you might value having a huge jukebox at your fingertips, then get the classic.  The Touch and iPhone are awesome, but you seem to put out a utilitarian vibe on your request, so the nano will do just fine.  No other brand can be counted on to be around in two years.  I still have my 4GB iPod mini, now obsolete, and it works just fine.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Buying tech stuff online
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 04:20:08 PM »

Gotta say, I agree with Gaz. Even if you think you may only need two gigs now, that might change in a year or two. Two gigs is probably around 500+ songs,  depending on what bitrate you rip at and how long the songs are, and while that sounds like a lot, you might get tired of hearing the same songs--even if they only come up once a week or so. And the price bump from 2 gigs to, say, 8, is not that big.

Since you're not looking for huge capacity, stick with flash-memory players. Hard drive players have a lot more room, but I worry that one day it'll get dropped or something and suddenly your drive won't spin anymore.

Also, consider if you want any other features with it, like video (sounds like not) or maybe a radio. I got my first iPod (an 8gig Nano) a few months ago after having a 500MB player for a couple years, and the radio is the one thing I really wish it had. I love it otherwise, but when I want to tune in 10@10 or a ballgame, I gotta look elsewhere. But its sound is decent, it has good battery life (8-10 hours between charges), it's very light and portable. It holds about 2K songs, and it's pretty user friendly. (Btw, if you do consider an iPod, you have to use iTunes to load music on it, so make sure you like the iPod interface before you buy one, and also that your home system will accommodate it (the Windows version is a real memory hog). Oh, and plan on getting some aftermarket 'phones--I think the ones that come in the box kinda suck, and are very uncomfortable. I know some folks that don't mind 'em though.

But don't feel you have to get an iPod to get a quality player. Creative makes some really nice ones as well, and generally for less than your average iPod will run you. iRiver is another name to look at, as well as Samsung.

If you want to read up the various types out there (you knew this was coming, didn't you?), here's a link to the CNET MP3 player buying guide:

http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-player-buying-guide/?tag=dir
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Buying tech stuff online
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 09:26:22 PM »
I have the 4 gig iPod that I guess is obsolete and is now the nano. No complaints other than I maxed it out at almost 1,000 songs. I have a wireless FM tuner thing that lets me play it in the car. I have a mini speaker set up that travels or stays on my nightstand so I have it avail at home. Never use it that way tho.
I just perused the Apple site an man o man, the new "classic" iPod has 160 GB storage, 40,000 songs or 200 hours video. Wow, starting at $249. I'm still satisfied with what I have. My littlest rugrat keeps asking for an iPod and I keep saying no. I'm sure the time will come eventually. I already burn CD's for them. This way I control what they hear and train them appropriately  :wink:
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Buying tech stuff online
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 10:06:01 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
This way I control what they hear and train them appropriately  :wink:

You are such a cool mom!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Buying tech stuff online
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2007, 08:15:26 AM »
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Buying tech stuff online
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2007, 09:35:19 AM »
Wow, thanks everybody!  

I've been to Cnet's site, but the personal knowledge from people I trust is more helpful...

I had almost settled on a Samsung with 2 gigs, but 500 songs aint gonna cut it.  So I'll keep looking.

I forgot to mention that part of the reason I'm going to get one now is that my company just gifted me with $100 at Amazon for efforts above and beyond.  So it now looks like that is going to cost me another couple hundred.  But as Gaz points out, you get what you pay for.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
no substitute for trying something
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 11:14:52 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
A word of caution on the iPod Classic:

http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/ipod-classic-tests-reveal-audio-problems/

Rod, you should at least hear an iPod.  Check it out.  I just can't believe anything else can compete when you factor in everything iTunes does for you.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: no substitute for trying something
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2007, 09:53:23 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/ipod-classic-tests-reveal-audio-problems/

Rod, you should at least hear an iPod.  Check it out.  I just can't believe anything else can compete when you factor in everything iTunes does for you.

Well, I took the iPod plunge, the 8 gig Nano (second generation).  I liked it's simplicity, and the Cnet reviews were impressive.

I'll probably need a new computer at home now -- iTunes is going to crush my current pc.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2007, 08:18:44 PM »

Well, I took the iPod plunge, the 8 gig Nano (second generation).  I liked it's simplicity, and the Cnet reviews were impressive.

I'll probably need a new computer at home now -- iTunes is going to crush my current pc.

sounds like you got the practical sweet spot of the iPod line, cool.  What color?  When you eventually watch video on it, let me know if it looks any good.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2007, 09:24:40 AM »

sounds like you got the practical sweet spot of the iPod line, cool.  What color?  When you eventually watch video on it, let me know if it looks any good.

Black, like my, um, coffee.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing