Author Topic: The Tech Thread (was "Buying tech stuff online")  (Read 44301 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: no substitute for trying something
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2007, 09:28:30 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
A word of caution on the iPod Classic:

http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/ipod-classic-tests-reveal-audio-problems/
Rod, you should at least hear an iPod.  Check it out.  I just can't believe anything else can compete when you factor in everything iTunes does for you.
Well, I took the iPod plunge, the 8 gig Nano (second generation).  I liked it's simplicity, and the Cnet reviews were impressive.

I'll probably need a new computer at home now -- iTunes is going to crush my current pc.

sounds like you got the practical sweet spot of the iPod line, cool.  What color?  When you eventually watch video on it, let me know if it looks any good.

Black, like my, um, coffee.

"Ah likes mah iPods like ah likes mah men -- black and full of rhythm!"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Buying tech stuff online
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2007, 11:09:59 PM »
I took the leap today and bought the 80gig iPod.

80 gigs is a freaking lot of room.

Gaz is pleased.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Buying tech stuff online
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2007, 11:13:09 PM »
PS: I've only ripped a fraction of my CD collection, but here are the stats so far:

3,424 songs
14.81 GB used
playlist length: 8.8 days

This will be so lovely next weekend when I'm spending hours on Greyhound en route to Boston and then New Hampshire.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Buying tech stuff online
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2007, 12:06:18 PM »
Have any of you encountered or heard about any utilities that will export the data from iTunes into an Excel spreadsheet?  I've wanted to have a spreadsheet of my library for years now - both for convo/bragging with friends and for insurance purposes - but haven't wanted to type all that shit out.  This would be a great way and time to do it since I'm uploading much more of my library to my computer (and iPod) these days.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Buying tech stuff online
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2007, 12:30:24 PM »
Have any of you encountered or heard about any utilities that will export the data from iTunes into an Excel spreadsheet?  I've wanted to have a spreadsheet of my library for years now - both for convo/bragging with friends and for insurance purposes - but haven't wanted to type all that shit out.  This would be a great way and time to do it since I'm uploading much more of my library to my computer (and iPod) these days.

Not myself, but I will enquire of my coworkers whose business it is to know these things.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Buying tech stuff online
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2007, 12:30:44 PM »

Right click on Library | Music
Select Export Song List (only option)
Click save (defaults to Music.txt, in my documents)
Open Music.txt in Excel
Follow import wizard.

The export exports, by default, to tab delimited.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
iPhone
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2007, 05:43:49 PM »
I was being pushed out of my old phone by AT&T (can't stand them) so took the plunge, as a friend at Apple gave me his personal once-a-year discount.  It's pretty freakin' cool, but of course is only 8GB.  I'm barely scratching the surface of what it does, and it looks like next year they will open it to outside developers to really harness the power.  Right now, it's a beast caged up and only allowed to do certain things.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Buying tech stuff online
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2007, 09:29:27 AM »

Open Music.txt in Excel
Follow import wizard.

OMG!  Rod, I heart you so much right now.

Just exported.  If anyone's ever curious to see what's in the library, e-mail me.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Buying tech stuff online
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2007, 09:33:57 AM »

Open Music.txt in Excel
Follow import wizard.

OMG!  Rod, I heart you so much right now.

Just exported.  If anyone's ever curious to see what's in the library, e-mail me.

My cow orker Donald gave me essentially the same solution, but when I came back to post it, Rod had already checked in with it, shortly after you asked--well done, Rod, you ubergeek! Incredibly easy.

Gaz, I'm curious about the library, but get everything ripped that you intend to, then send.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Buying tech stuff online
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2008, 12:42:46 PM »
Not necessarily buying online but a tech question all of you might know something about.
On my personal computer I am 100% negligent about backing up. I want to get a back up device with software to get this done. Please tell me about how you back up or secure your data. I saw an iomega 160 gig(?) hard drive for about $130 that does the job I think. Please offer advice and recommendations. My hard drive has music, pictures, contact database and files that if lost would just devastate me.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2008, 02:47:18 PM »
Not necessarily buying online but a tech question all of you might know something about.
On my personal computer I am 100% negligent about backing up. I want to get a back up device with software to get this done. Please tell me about how you back up or secure your data. I saw an iomega 160 gig(?) hard drive for about $130 that does the job I think. Please offer advice and recommendations. My hard drive has music, pictures, contact database and files that if lost would just devastate me.

Don't feel too guilty--probably 90 percent of everyone doesn't back up their hard drives, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't--they'd all feel terrible if it went down and they lost everything. There are a number of external drives out there like the one you saw that come with the softeware to back up your documents and media files, either on a scheduled basis or whenever you think to click the backup button (def. smarter to go with the scheduled option). Iomega's as good as anyone but shop around--there are always sales, and you may be able to find a bigger drive for less.

I've got this one:
http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/maxtor-onetouch-iii-usb/4505-3186_7-31649966.html
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2008, 06:58:52 AM »

My current computer came installed with Sonic RecordNow, which I use to back up my files to CD 2-3x a year.  Very simple and functional program.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2008, 09:57:03 AM »

My current computer came installed with Sonic RecordNow, which I use to back up my files to CD 2-3x a year.  Very simple and functional program.

I was going to suggest a simple cd/dvd solution as well.  I burn to cd that which I care about very occasionally.  Not as often as I should.  A scheduled backup using the external drive is the better idea, but incurs cost and managing another device.  With cds, you burn them and file them.  Uncomplicated.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2008, 02:40:44 PM »

Don't feel too guilty--probably 90 percent of everyone doesn't back up their hard drives, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't--they'd all feel terrible if it went down and they lost everything. There are a number of external drives out there like the one you saw that come with the softeware to back up your documents and media files, either on a scheduled basis or whenever you think to click the backup button (def. smarter to go with the scheduled option). Iomega's as good as anyone but shop around--there are always sales, and you may be able to find a bigger drive for less.

I've got this one:
http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/maxtor-onetouch-iii-usb/4505-3186_7-31649966.html

Another option if you want to go the hardware route:  Next month costco is offering a Western Digital 1Terabyte (1000GB) external hard-drive with auto backup features for only $269 with coupon (one of which I can give you if you don't already have the Costco coupon book)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 03:43:53 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2008, 03:17:45 PM »

I've got this one:

Another option if you want to go the hardware rout:  Next month costco is offering a Western Digital 1Terabyte (1000GB) external hard-drive with auto backup features for only $269 with coupon (one of which I can give you if you don't already have the Costco coupon book)

Ooooh, a terabyte drive!  Shifting into uber-geek mode -- I so want one!  Even if I am only using less than half the 80 gigs on my home computer. 
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing