Author Topic: The "Let's Enjoy YouTube While We Can" Thread  (Read 197705 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The "Let's Enjoy YouTube While We Can" Thread
« Reply #165 on: January 03, 2008, 07:51:50 AM »
Oh you guys are gonna love this one for so many reasons, which means for all seasons:

Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, "Just Dropped In to See What Condition My Condition Was In," which some fan married to footage of some CRAZAY Soul Train couples dancers

But which SJ&TDK album is that song on? I'm not seeing it on the 3 CDs listed at Amazon.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 03, 2008, 09:03:08 AM »
Oh you guys are gonna love this one for so many reasons, which means for all seasons:

Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, "Just Dropped In to See What Condition My Condition Was In," which some fan married to footage of some CRAZAY Soul Train couples dancers

But which SJ&TDK album is that song on? I'm not seeing it on the 3 CDs listed at Amazon.
Good question.  I had to consult Wikipedia on this:

"Following the album, three 45's of note, not included on the album where also released. What If We all Stopped Paying Taxes, released in 2002 just ahead of the U.S. Election, was a militant anti-war statement denouncing the Iraq War. Genuine (parts 1 & 2), in 2004 was an uncompromisingly hard funk record which firmly kept the interest of enthusiasts and their cover of Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In), released in 2005 but which was apparently recorded for a KFC commercial in 2002 but was never used."

ETA: Man, is that "glow" feature on this board ugly!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 03, 2008, 09:10:55 AM »
Man, is that "glow" feature on this board ugly!

You meanTHIS?   ;)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2008, 03:10:33 PM »

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 16, 2008, 02:17:34 PM »
This one's for Gaz: the original "Who Do You Think You Are" (yes, the Bo Donaldson version was a cover!) by Candlewood Green, early 1974, when it peaked at #21 on the UK chart...

http://www.yamelo.com/videoclip/9634_candlewick_green_who_do_you_think_you_are.html

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 16, 2008, 02:41:57 PM »
This one's for Gaz: the original "Who Do You Think You Are" (yes, the Bo Donaldson version was a cover!) by Candlewood Green, early 1974, when it peaked at #21 on the UK chart...

http://www.yamelo.com/videoclip/9634_candlewick_green_who_do_you_think_you_are.html

O.
M.
F.
G.

That video is one of the most insane things ever.  Especially when they bop out in Kermit and Fozzie costumes toward the end.

Moreover, THANK YOU for cluing me in to that site!  Holy hell, is that a trove of vintage clips.  I could easily spend hours just discovering Euro pop oddities from the early '70s.

(PS: I think BD&tH's version was an improvement over this, though.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2008, 02:57:21 PM »
THANK YOU for cluing me in to that site!  Holy hell, is that a trove of vintage clips.  I could easily spend hours just discovering Euro pop oddities from the early '70s.

total accident -- the song is on the UK chart that CG is counting down next week (March '74, The Hollies at #2 with "Air That i Breathe") and I figured it had to be the same song, so some Googling and... voila! 

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 16, 2008, 04:39:14 PM »
THANK YOU for cluing me in to that site!  Holy hell, is that a trove of vintage clips.  I could easily spend hours just discovering Euro pop oddities from the early '70s.

total accident -- the song is on the UK chart that CG is counting down next week (March '74, The Hollies at #2 with "Air That i Breathe") and I figured it had to be the same song, so some Googling and... voila! 

A great find.  And they led me to D-I-V-O-R-C-E, which in turn led me to:

http://www.yamelo.com/videoclip/4434_klf__tammy_wynettejustified_and_ancient.html

All bound for Mu Mu Land!!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2008, 04:11:51 PM »
Nina Simone live in Harlem, 1969:

"Ain't Got No / I Got Life"

Did she garner appearances on talk shows and such in the '60s and '70s?  I have no idea how mainstream or cultish she was during her prime.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2008, 04:36:30 PM »
"I had a reputation of not showing up."

"How did that reputation come about?"

"From not showing up."

Sly Stone on the Mike Douglas show, 1974

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2008, 05:02:40 PM »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2008, 11:31:48 PM »

Hey: Play this, close your eyes, and imagine that's Dusty Springfield singing.  It's remarkably similar!  So lovely.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2008, 11:48:40 PM »
Wow, I can't believed I stumbled upon this:

Redbone, "We Were All Wounded at Wounded Knee"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 25, 2008, 12:00:43 PM »
R Dean Taylor, "There's a Ghost in My House". I've commented on this one before, but I just heard it again on CG (it was a UK hit). I still can't believe The Four Tops didn't record this, it so clearly seems to have been written (by Taylor, w/Holland-Dozier-Holland) with Levi Stubbs in mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g67graJuwos&feature=related