Author Topic: Snapshot reviews  (Read 7104 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Snapshot reviews
« on: February 21, 2005, 07:45:21 AM »
So I spent a good bit of Saturday night at my local Virgin Megastore: they have enough sets of headphones for CD test-drives that I like to use the place late at night as my listening library.  Didn't buy anything for myself but I thought I'd let y'all know what I heard:

Eisley, Room Noises.  Whimsical, keyboard-centric pop nuggets that are as influenced by the Cowsills as anything contemporary (they're also a family band of kiddies).  I would have bought it except that the lead vocalist's voice grated on me after a while: she sounds a lot like the singers of Sixpence None The Richer and the Cardigans, and I can't really take an entire CD of a relentless "girlie" voice.  (I need my female vocalists to be stentorian or domineering like Grace, Dusty and Cass to last an entire CD.)

Vanessa Williams, Everlasting Love.  A covers CD of '70s soft-soul chestnuts, tediously if tastefully recorded.  Quiet storm radio stations will love this, and no one else will.

Arcade Fire, Funeral.  I wanted to love this CD.  It's been recommended to me by at least three friends whose musical tastes I share, one of whom described it as the new generation's Talking Heads.  Oh, do I wish I could have heard that.  They're ambitious and diverse-sounding, traits I love in young'uns, but I had trouble hearing the *songs* in their songs.  I'm sure I'll give this another try but it didn't make a great first impact.

Tina Turner, "Open Arms."  One of the new songs on her latest greatest-hits comp.  When did it become 1988 again?  Stunning that this charted anywhere; Miss Tina's voice sounds great but the material is hopelessly dated.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Snapshot reviews
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 08:45:50 AM »
Have you anything to say about Tegan & Sara?  I've only heard the one song "Walking With A Ghost", which is now getting airplay on Live 105 & occasionally Channel 104.9.

The first time I heard it was back in November when I was in SoCal for our Disneylanbd trip, and it totally stopped me in my tracks because it just sounded so different (& since it is very repetitive the tune stuck in my head for weeks).  Sounds to me like one of those tunes that would have fit right in around 1986 on KROQ.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Snapshot reviews
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 09:07:16 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Have you anything to say about Tegan & Sara?  I've only heard the one song "Walking With A Ghost", which is now getting airplay on Live 105 & occasionally Channel 104.9.

The first time I heard it was back in November when I was in SoCal for our Disneylanbd trip, and it totally stopped me in my tracks because it just sounded so different (& since it is very repetitive the tune stuck in my head for weeks).  Sounds to me like one of those tunes that would have fit right in around 1986 on KROQ.

Little Steven has been playing a song of theirs called "Take Me Anywhere", quite a rockin' number which was his "Coolest Song on the World" some weeks back.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Snapshot reviews
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 08:54:55 PM »
I heard Tegan and Sara at the Bridge Benefit many years ago, and this past year too, http://www.bridgeschool.org/events/ev_stills.html. I don't recall which tunes they did but it was enjoyable.
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Snapshot reviews
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 07:41:10 AM »
I haven't heard Tegan and Sara at all.

But I highly approve of the new Patsy avatar.  Bottoms up, sweetie dahling!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
slow banana avatar
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 07:47:35 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

So, you don't like the slower banana I made for you?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: slow banana avatar
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 07:58:58 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

I saved it, I just haven't changed it yet.  Right now I'd rather have an avatar of a decapitated pope, but that's just me.   :evil:  :x  :evil:  :x

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: slow banana avatar
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 09:03:10 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

I saved it, I just haven't changed it yet.  Right now I'd rather have an avatar of a decapitated pope, but that's just me.   :evil:  :x  :evil:  :x
methinks it has gone beyond crankypants today! :lol:
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!