Author Topic: 24 Aug 2006: 1971!  (Read 9383 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
24 Aug 2006: 1971!
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2006, 12:08:55 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "urth"
BOS1 Bowie, Oh You Pretty Things!! FAB!!

Well, y'know, it was always rumored that Bowie was a Homo (Superior).

Didn't Bianca famously start that rumor?

I think David himself started it, and if not him, then his ex Angie.  At any rate, he did nothing to discourage such talk while it was benefitting his image; then he disavowed it all when he realized there were other ways to make money and burnish creds.  "A closeted heterosexual," he would refer to himself in those days as during one '90s interview.

PS: I'd give my BOS to the Kongos track.  Any of you ever hear the remake by the Happy Mondays, retitled "Step On"?  Great music from less-than-great people.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2006, 12:16:58 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
PS: I'd give my BOS to the Kongos track.  Any of you ever hear the remake by the Happy Mondays, retitled "Step On"?  Great music from less-than-great people.

we've discussed before, no?  It shows up on CG occasionally.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2006, 12:38:33 PM »
BOS Michael & Bros. Clifton Davis's career peak (unless you really liked That's My mama)!

well, i thoroughly enjoyed its spinoff, that's my white mama!, a short-lived mad tv skit.

but then he wasn't so bad as the reverend in amen.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2006, 12:44:21 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
BOS Michael & Bros. Clifton Davis's career peak (unless you really liked That's My mama)!

well, i thoroughly enjoyed its spinoff, that's my white mama!, a short-lived mad tv skit.

princess! check out the streep!

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/arts/theater/profiles/18845/index.html

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2006, 12:44:22 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

Wasn't "That's My Momma" the show Randy Watson had a cameo appearance in, in Coming to America?

Sex'shul Choclit!!!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2006, 02:46:17 PM »
Any of you ever hear the remake by the Happy Mondays, retitled "Step On"?  Great music from less-than-great people.

"Step On" is an awesome tune!  I had no idea how it related to this thread until you said so.  Please elaborate (on both that & the 'less-than-great-people' bit).
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
woulda been my BOS
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2006, 10:03:39 PM »
Ten Way Tie!!! (actually counting Pharm Chem & Sounds of the City this is a 12-way tie)

Jackson 5 - "Never Can Say Goodbye", believe it or not, Dave hasn't played this for over 3 years, although Gloria Gaynor's version has cropped up twice in the interim.
Isn't there and Isaac Hayes version?  Our old band used to do that song.  I really enjoyed playing bass on it.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: woulda been my BOS
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2006, 10:22:19 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Ten Way Tie!!! (actually counting Pharm Chem & Sounds of the City this is a 12-way tie)

Jackson 5 - "Never Can Say Goodbye", believe it or not, Dave hasn't played this for over 3 years, although Gloria Gaynor's version has cropped up twice in the interim.
Isn't there and Isaac Hayes version?  Our old band used to do that song.  I really enjoyed playing bass on it.

Yes, it was on the charts at the same time, and peaked at 22 (while the J-5 got to number 2). This was 6 months before "Shaft". The Communards charted it (with the G.Gaynor disco arrangement) in 1988.

SFGuy

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2006, 01:38:16 AM »
BOSwhatever Timothy!! Rupert Holmes at his very best!!

Isn't Rupert Holmes the guy who did that awful song later in this decade about Pina Coladas??

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2006, 07:12:10 AM »
Quote from: "SFGuy"

Isn't Rupert Holmes the guy who did that awful song later in this decade about Pina Coladas??

indeed -- tasty cheeze to some; a Hit-From-Hell to others. But he's had an amazing career and his mid-'70s stuff (like Widescreen) is pretty amazing, smart adult pop.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2006, 08:56:39 AM »

indeed -- tasty cheeze to some; a Hit-From-Hell to others. But he's had an amazing career and his mid-'70s stuff (like Widescreen) is pretty amazing, smart adult pop.

To add to his strange legacy: He sang lead on a 1970 bubblegum pop number called "Jennifer Tompkins," credited to a studio assemblage called Street People.  Amazing that it charted at all; it's a horribly recorded and ill-thought-out number that combines bgum's perkiness with a story-song-crisis lyric.

On the other hand, it'd be beneficial if someone, somewhere, would play his "Pina Colada" follow-up, "Him," once in a while.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2006, 09:00:15 AM »
Any of you ever hear the remake by the Happy Mondays, retitled "Step On"?  Great music from less-than-great people.

"Step On" is an awesome tune!  I had no idea how it related to this thread until you said so.  Please elaborate (on both that & the 'less-than-great-people' bit).

Well, their other near-hit, "Kinky Afro," has one of the bleaker lyrics I've ever known, enough so that it gives me shivers every time I hear it (http://www.lyricsfreak.com/h/happy+mondays/kinky+afro_20064317.html for the words).  But AMG says it better than I could:

Unwittingly or not, Happy Mondays personified the ugly side of rave culture. They were thugs, purely and simply -- they brought out the latent violence that lay beneath the surface of any drug culture, even one as seemingly beatific as England's late-'80s/early-'90s rave scene. Under the leadership of vocalist Shaun Ryder, the group sounded and acted like thugs, especially in comparison with their peace-loving peers, the Stone Roses. Ryder's lyrics were twisted and surrealistic, loaded with bizarre pop culture references, drug slang, and menacing sexuality. Appropriately, their music was as convoluted. Happy Mondays were one of the first rock bands to integrate hip-hop techniques into their music. They didn't sample, but they borrowed melodies and lyrics and, in the process, committed rock blasphemy. For a band that celebrated their vulgarity and excessiveness, Happy Mondays appropriately were undone by their addictions, but they left behind a surprisingly influential legacy, apparent in everyone from dance bands like the Chemical Brothers to rock & rollers like Oasis.

With their second album, 1988's Bummed, Happy Mondays became British superstars, particularly Ryder. Pills 'n' Thrills and Bellyaches, released in 1990, marked the height of the band's popularity, creativity, and influence; although the record made the Top 100 albums chart in America, it didn't establish them as stars in the U.S. After that, the fall was quick. By the time they released their last studio album, Yes, Please, Manchester had disappeared from public consciousness; it sold respectably, but the group didn't have the commercial impact that they had just two years before. Besides the lack of public interest, Shaun Ryder had become addicted to heroin, tearing the band apart in the process. At a high-level record contract meeting, Ryder walked out for some "Kentucky Fried Chicken," which was the band's slang for heroin. He never returned and the group quickly fell apart.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2006, 09:01:38 AM »

To add to his strange legacy: He sang lead on a 1970 bubblegum pop number called "Jennifer Tompkins," credited to a studio assemblage called Street People.  Amazing that it charted at all; it's a horribly recorded and ill-thought-out number that combines bgum's perkiness with a story-song-crisis lyric.

On the other hand, it'd be beneficial if someone, somewhere, would play his "Pina Colada" follow-up, "Him," once in a while.

gaz, I've probably asked before, but how familiar are you with Widescreen and his 2 other Epic releases from '74 thru '76?  Some genius stuff there, IMHO.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2006, 09:03:34 AM »
gaz, I've probably asked before, but how familiar are you with Widescreen and his 2 other Epic releases from '74 thru '76?  Some genius stuff there, IMHO.

Not familiar in the slightest, I'm afraid.  What've I missed?  Know if the stuff's in print?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2006, 09:06:52 AM »

Not familiar in the slightest, I'm afraid.  What've I missed?  Know if the stuff's in print?

long outta print, but some wonderful, clever adult pop (not for nothing was he called "the thinking man's Barry Manilow"; Barry covered his "Studio Musician" on his live LP).  There is a Rupert Holmes Collection best-of on CD that has most of the pertinent tunes, but a few good ones remain MIA.