Author Topic: 9 Aug 2006--it's 1978  (Read 14146 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
When I was young...(cue Eric Burdon)
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2006, 08:50:10 AM »
Quote from: "SFGuy"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Davefish"
A rather unfortunate turn to "Lights".
aw shucks, I'll give it a VHM for sentimental reasons.  Journey got much worse in the '80s.
I used to like Journey when I was growing up in the 80's. Then I listen to it 20+ years later and wonder why in the heck I ever liked that group. Open Arms today gives me a headache.

Some say people just romanticize the music they listen to when they were young, as if all music is equal in quality.  I'm not going to get in trouble by slamming some of your favorite bands, but do you think that's really true?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: When I was young...(cue Eric Burdon)
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2006, 09:06:46 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "SFGuy"
Quote from: "Davefish"
A rather unfortunate turn to "Lights".
aw shucks, I'll give it a VHM for sentimental reasons.  Journey got much worse in the '80s.
I used to like Journey when I was growing up in the 80's. Then I listen to it 20+ years later and wonder why in the heck I ever liked that group. Open Arms today gives me a headache.

Some say people just romanticize the music they listen to when they were young, as if all music is equal in quality.  I'm not going to get in trouble by slamming some of your favorite bands, but do you think that's really true?

Of course it's true. Every generation needs something to call their own; they latch onto the new and convince themselves that it's good, even great... and over time that becomes accepted as fact.

Our parents hated rock; when our generation came of age and started writing about it seriously and analytically, that sealed the deal -- we proved rock was "important" by simply saying so. Same thing happened when hip-hop came along. Most people over 40 not only hate it but have legitimate, well-thought-out arguments as to why it's "not music". But the hip-hop generation has just done what we did -- produced writers who are capable of detailing its merits. So-and-so's "beats" are better than that guy's; Rapper X's "rhyming skillz" are better than Rapper Y's, and so on.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2006, 09:55:47 AM »
Of course it's true. Every generation needs something to call their own; they latch onto the new and convince themselves that it's good, even great... and over time that becomes accepted as fact.

Our parents hated rock; when our generation came of age and started writing about it seriously and analytically, that sealed the deal -- we proved rock was "important" by simply saying so. Same thing happened when hip-hop came along. Most people over 40 not only hate it but have legitimate, well-thought-out arguments as to why it's "not music". But the hip-hop generation has just done what we did -- produced writers who are capable of detailing its merits. So-and-so's "beats" are better than that guy's; Rapper X's "rhyming skillz" are better than Rapper Y's, and so on.

When I was in K.C. my mom went through their files and gave me a bunch of folders of letters & stuff of mine that they'd saved for me over the years, which I was shocked to see included a draft of my Master's thesis on Rap music. I had no reason to expect that they'd have a copy & the floppy disc it was on has long since been corrupted, so it was like finding a long-lost child.  I wrote it in 1992, and what you are saying was pretty much one half of my argument, the other half being that by studying rap we could better understand socio-historical truths of the people making the music.  My first page was killer (if I do say so myself).
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
9 Aug 2006--it's 1978
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2006, 09:56:52 AM »
8/9/2006 - Midweek!!! Let's go to...1978!!

1.  Talking Heads - Thank You for Sending Me An Angel  
2.  Peter Gabriel - D.I.Y.  
3.  Pablo Cruise - Don't Want to Live Without it  
4.  ELO - Jungle  
5.  Journey - Lights  
6.  Olivia Newton John & John Travolta - You're the One That I Want  
7.  Bee Gees - Night Fever  
8.  Elvis Costello - The Beat  
9.  Genesis - Deep in the Motherlode (BEST OF SET!!)  
10.  Exile - Kiss You All Over  

BONUS TRACK:  Jefferson Starship - Count On Me
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2006, 12:30:32 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
When I was in K.C. my mom went through their files and gave me a bunch of folders of letters & stuff of mine that they'd saved for me over the years, which I was shocked to see included a draft of my Master's thesis on Rap music. I had no reason to expect that they'd have a copy & the floppy disc it was on has long since been corrupted, so it was like finding a long-lost child.  I wrote it in 1992, and what you are saying was pretty much one half of my argument, the other half being that by studying rap we could better understand socio-historical truths of the people making the music.  My first page was killer (if I do say so myself).

Any chance that you might someday scan and share?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2006, 09:12:02 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Definitely, when I get a round tuitt.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2006, 09:13:45 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Definitely, when I get a round tuitt.

You knew this was coming:

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round