Author Topic: 10@10 club Glossary  (Read 24431 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
10@10 club Glossary
« on: July 31, 2006, 11:20:01 AM »
http://www.10at10club.com/poc/glossary.html

check it out, comment, email POC or me for updates.  I have no idea how to settle disputes.  Perhaps something along the lines of that beer commercial about 'man rules' or whatever it's  called?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 10@10 club Glossary
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 11:25:07 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

check it out, comment, email POC or me for updates.  I have no idea how to settle disputes.  Perhaps something along the lines of that beer commercial about 'man rules' or whatever it's  called?

well, "Narada" is missing (a song that Dave plays frequently that the listener does not ever remember hearing at the time during the year in question).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 11:30:20 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

well, "Narada" is missing (a song that Dave plays frequently that the listener does not ever remember hearing at the time during the year in question).

For one thing, I don't really think Narada has stuck, but I remember it as a Katrina subset, but OK, since it's really cool.  Nonetheless, it deserves to be in the glossary.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 11:33:40 AM »

For one thing, I don't really think Narada has stuck, but I remember it as a Katrina subset, but OK, since it's really cool.  Nonetheless, it deserves to be in the glossary.

amended definition:

Narada -- a song that Dave plays frequently that the listener does not ever remember hearing at the time during the year in question. Named for Narada Michael Walden, whose "I Should Have Loved Ya" is a Dave favorite that no one remembers hearing back in the day.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 11:52:28 AM »

amended definition:

Narada -- a song that Dave plays frequently that the listener does not ever remember hearing at the time during the year in question. Named for Narada Michael Walden, whose "I Should Have Loved Ya" is a Dave favorite that no one remembers hearing back in the day.

added!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 12:56:38 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

amended definition:

added!

OK folks, here's a lesson about how to co-manage an html file.  Earlier, I corrected the spelling of 'Alison' (one L instead of 2) but this correction was overwritten when POC updated the Narada listing.  I should have notified her of my change, and it's always good to see if the version one has on the hard disk is the same as the one you're about to update!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 02:08:54 PM »

Zeitgeist: a song that truly evokes for the listener the original time and place where they used to hear it.  (i.e. most any Disco takes Alicat back to the roller skating rinks of her adolescence). Not quite the same as a Sledgehammer, & not a comment on the song-in-question's overall listenability.

Sledgehammer: A song that truly evokes for the listener a very specific & personal emotional experience.  (i.e. Jackson Browne's "That Girl Could Sing" never fails to make Mshray relive a breakup from his junior year of college).  Not quite the same as a Zeitgeist, & not a comment on the song-in-question's overall listenability.

Turkey:  A Dave Morey original term for a song that is "dumb, but tasty", and which is the subject of an annual review, usually the day before Thanksgiving.  Traditional examples include "Mah Nah Mah Nah", "Safety Dance" & "Tubthumping".  Not to be confused with a Guilty Pleasure or a Hit From Hell.

Guilty Pleasure:  a song that a majority of listeners would by consensus term a HFH, but which you the individual are still fond of and are willing to declare so publicly (regardless of the recriminations).  A Guilty Displeasure is the contrapositive, a song you can't stand that is by general consensus highly regarded, and you are willing to state this for the record even at the risk of your rock-critic credibilty.  An example of the former is Mshray's continued enjoyment of all things Wang Chung, while his distaste for the Double Fantasy album constitutes the latter.

And I propose ammending the HFH entry:

HFH (Hit From Hell): A former hit song that now makes everyone cringe, quintessentially represented by Debbie Boone's "You Light Up My Life".  A subset in this category is the HFH - WGAGB (When Good Artists Go Bad):  a Hit From Hell created by a Hall-of-Fame caliber artist, quintessentially represented by the Michael Jackson & Paul McCartney duet "The Girl Is Mine", (all together now "...that dog-gone girl is mine...")
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
10@10 club Glossary
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 02:21:34 PM »
also:  the Fake Jazz entry can keep the reference to "The City", but you must add BTO's "Blue Collar", which was Razsty's original inspiration.

...and if we have a Fake Jazz entry, then in all fairness we need a Fake Reggae entry, again credited to Razsty, and spotlighted by 10CC's "Dreadlock Holiday".

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
10@10 club Glossary
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 09:27:09 PM »
I'd elaborate a little bit on an Allison: It's a song that contains its album's title in its lyrics but does not itself share the album's title.  (A special category could be created for Culture Club, whose "Miss Me Blind" used the title of their previous album in its lyrics.

Also, the basic BOS needs to be added for newbies.  Alas, I can't add more, because I can no longer tell what is and isn't an inside joke among us.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
10@10 club Glossary
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 09:30:20 PM »
Also, maybe add "breakout" and "bustout" as synonyms for Gomer (which I'd forgotten about, but I like).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
10@10 club Glossary
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 07:10:48 AM »
done!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
10@10 club Glossary
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 07:39:32 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Also, maybe add "breakout" and "bustout" as synonyms for Gomer (which I'd forgotten about, but I like).

I don't think they're synonyms, actually. "Breakout" and "bustout" are simply songs the deejay in question has never played before on 10@10. I always thought a Gomer connoted some element of surprise -- a song we never expected to hear played. (Like if Ginger played something really cheezy or if Dave played something from Southside Johnny's first LP :-))

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
10@10 club Glossary
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 10:05:52 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
I'd elaborate a little bit on an Allison: It's a song that contains its album's title in its lyrics but does not itself share the album's title.  (A special category could be created for Culture Club, whose "Miss Me Blind" used the title of their previous album in its lyrics.

Also, the basic BOS needs to be added for newbies.  Alas, I can't add more, because I can no longer tell what is and isn't an inside joke among us.

Hey Gaz, I just revisited that ILM thread on the Alison subject (http://ilx.p3r.net/thread.php?msgid=4908308 for anyone else who's curious), here's a couple of MMB's from XTC, although I think the lyric came before the album title:

Or then there's XTC's habit of taking album titles from lyrics that appeared in previous albums.
"Oranges and Lemons" --> Skylarking "Ballet for a Rainy Day"
"Apple Venus" --> Nonsuch "Then She Appeared"

Also Jimmy Buffett's song "Nautical Wheelers" contains the lyric Living and Dying in 3/4 Time, which was his previous album.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
10@10 club Glossary
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 05:44:13 PM »
Another submission:

Nugget: Derived from Nuggets, the 1972 collection compiled by Lenny Kaye (and the subsequent Rhino box sets based thereon), it refers to a song that's rarely played and almost forgotten--perhaps a one-hit wonder--but one that, at its first notes, evokes a certain time, mood, or emotion. Always a great song, and usually a highlight of the set.
Let's get right to it.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
10@10 club Glossary
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 06:03:06 PM »
Yo, can somebody make this thread sticky (always at the top)?  Is that possible with phpBB?  And what does ETA mean?  (The reason I searched for this thread in the first place.)

Thanks!