Author Topic: 12 June 2006: It's 1987  (Read 6239 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
12 June 2006: It's 1987
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 10:54:40 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
FWIW playing hooky to watch the World Cup was a waste of my morning.  A very listless US squad down 3-0 before I split.  If the US is anywhere near as good as they're supposed to be, then the Czechs are are just awesome, 'cause they disposed of the US with relative ease.  Hopefully they pull it together for the Italians on Saturday, or else this will be like '98 all over again.

So how crowded was the bar (or wherever you went), and what was the percentage of American-born fans watching, as opposed to immigrants, foreigners on vacay, etc?  Because generally it seems that most Americans could care less, despite ESPN's best efforts.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 11:04:37 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "mshray"
FWIW playing hooky to watch the World Cup was a waste of my morning.  A very listless US squad down 3-0 before I split.  If the US is anywhere near as good as they're supposed to be, then the Czechs are are just awesome, 'cause they disposed of the US with relative ease.  Hopefully they pull it together for the Italians on Saturday, or else this will be like '98 all over again.

So how crowded was the bar (or wherever you went), and what was the percentage of American-born fans watching, as opposed to immigrants, foreigners on vacay, etc?  Because generally it seems that most Americans could care less, despite ESPN's best efforts.

I was hanging out in the bar of the Santa Clara Hilton (across from the convention center, and only a block from my office),  I was the only one there, although various hotel staff & waiters from the adjacent restaurant kept popping in to check the score.  It bears mentioning, though, that not one of them was a native-born anglo-american.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2006, 11:27:58 AM »
So I just flipped back to KFOG in time for "Alex Chilton", anybody catch what the other choices were for the bonus track?  

nice, some Zep to follow.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
my favorite cover of this song
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2006, 12:10:25 PM »
Now I like Chris Isaak, really. But this cover of "Heart Full of Soul" was unnecessary and dull.

Fleetwood Mac, from Mystery to Me.  If you ever have a chance to play it on big speakers loud, do it.  Drum beat is big and low.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
list
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2006, 12:14:30 PM »
6/12/2006 - Monday....Let's make it better with...1987!!!

1.   Roger Waters - Radio Waves      
2.   George Harrison - Devil's Radio      
3.   Squeeze - Hourglass      
4.   Sting - Englishman in New York      
5.   Cure - Just Like Heaven      
6.   Rock & Hyde - Dirty Water      
7.   Love & Rockets - No New Tale to Tell (BEST OF SET!!)
8.   Fleetwood Mac - Little Lies      
9.   Chris Isaak - Heart Full of Soul      
10.   World Party - All Come True      

BONUS TRACK:  The Replacements - Alex Chilton
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: list
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2006, 12:25:42 PM »
6/12/2006 - Monday....Let's make it better with...1987!!!

Now THERE'S an oxymoron.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2006, 01:44:11 PM »
well, not a breakout (I don't think) but a welcome rarity:Sting's ode to Mr. Crisp,  "Englishman in NY", BOS. Dave getting in the Pride Month spirit early.

Which reminds: TWO theme sets next week, Pride and First Day o'Summer.

I thought about suggesting a Juneteenth set for Friday, but thought better of it.

As for the World Cup, it's been a big attraction here in Manhattan.  Working at 47th and 3rd, I find all the nearby pubs filled to capacity at lunchtime, with seemingly every country getting representative rooters.  I could care less about soccer, but I did see some of the U.S. game while eating lunch; they looked, in a word, lethargic.  It's almost a pleasure to see the U.S. fail in light of our country's overwhelming and frequently unsportsmanlike sense of entitlement w/r/t global athletic events.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”