Author Topic: 21 Nov 2016: it's... 1976  (Read 3840 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
21 Nov 2016: it's... 1976
« on: November 21, 2016, 10:33:06 AM »
With one or 2 exceptions, very much a standard-issue bunch of songs.  A set I really don't need to hear.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Nov 2016: it's... 1976
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 11:40:01 AM »
Just took a quick look at the list and I'm not quite as down on it as Mike, but yeah, there's a lot of  FFs here, and nary a bustout I'm fairly certain. Also, I think "I'm Not In Love" is from '75, not '76, so there's that. And Couldn't Get It Right, while it was released in 76, didn't chart until '77. 

(Has DW ever expressed a preference for release date or chart date when placing songs' chronology? Or does he play both sides of the fence?)

ETA: Also, the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers debut album, while not a huge hit at the outset, is probably one of the best debut albums of the 70s. There are lots of great, great songs on there -- "Strangered in the Night," "Fooled Again," "Luna," to name just three, but there are several others. Couldn't we hear one of those once in a while rather than "American Girl" or "Breakdown" for the umpteenth time this month?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 12:08:18 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 12:12:33 PM »
Just took a quick look at the list and I'm not quite as down on it as Mike, but yeah, there's a lot of  FFs here, and nary a bustout I'm fairly certain. Also, I think "I'm Not In Love" is from '75, not '76, so there's that. And Couldn't Get It Right, while it was released in 76, didn't chart until '77. 

(Has DW ever expressed a preference for release date or chart date when placing songs' chronology? Or does he play both sides of the fence?)

ETA: Also, the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers debut album, while not a huge hit at the outset, is probably one of the best debut albums of the 70s. There are lots of great, great songs on there -- "Strangered in the Night," "Fooled Again," "Luna," to name just three, but there are several others. Couldn't we hear one of those once in a while rather than "American Girl" or "Breakdown" for the umpteenth time this month?
Here in SF, "American Girl" had a phenomenal radio presence on KSAN.  I saw their first show at the Old Waldorf. 
As far as dates go, when DW included "Time Has Come Today" in my 1967 set, it was a release date issue. DM always put it in 1968, for chart reasons.
And yes, I'd say it was a pretty FF affair, though somewhat pleasant.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 12:26:06 PM »
I have just reached the end of the set, and really really enjoyed hearing George Benson's (Hi, POC!) loooooong version of "This Masquerade," written, as wel all know, by the recently departed Leon Russell. So why the hell did DW not mention that in the backsell?
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 12:29:22 PM »

Here in SF, "American Girl" had a phenomenal radio presence on KSAN.  I saw their first show at the Old Waldorf. 
As far as dates go, when DW included "Time Has Come Today" in my 1967 set, it was a release date issue. DM always put it in 1968, for chart reasons.
And yes, I'd say it was a pretty FF affair, though somewhat pleasant.

Heard it a lot on KZAP and KSFM in Sacramento around then, too. (I suspect there was quite a bit of cross-pollination between those stations' playlists back in that era.) And then, it almost seemed like Breakdown got more play than AG, although they were both FM hits.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 10:17:32 PM »
1. Boz Scaggs, Lowdown
-News: Bicentennial
2. Fleetwood Mac, Over My Head
3. The Runaways, Cherry Bomb
4. 10cc, I’m Not in Love
-TV: The Muppet Show
5.. Climax Blues Band, Couldn’t Get it Right
6. Kiss, Detroit Rock City – Destroyer
7. Thin Lizzy, Cowboy Song – Jailbreak
-Movie: The Enforcer
8. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, American Girl
9. Al Stewart, Year of the Cat
10. George Benson, This Masquerade (The LOOONG version!)
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 08:24:01 AM »
I love 76 and I'm just starting now, not looking at list.

"Lowdown" was a mind-blowing song for me then. "What's with the funny voice? And that bass riff?" I didn't realize I was witnessing the birth of disco.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 09:42:48 AM »
10 CC's "I'm Not In Love" was a favorite in those days too.

Could never tell what the whispered interlude was. Something about "because it's too quiet".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 10:08:26 AM »

Could never tell what the whispered interlude was. Something about "because it's too quiet".

"Big boys don't cry..."

as was pointed out above, it's actually from 1975. Ooops.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 10:12:09 AM »

"Big boys don't cry..."

as was pointed out above, it's actually from 1975. Ooops.
Oh yeah, I know now ;-).  This set is extremely Morey-esque, but they're my favorites. "Year of the Cat" very sledge-hammer-y. Not for any specific event, but just taking me back to that early high school time.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 10:16:51 AM »
I remember being very impressive by George Benson's scatting along with his guitar solo. Talented guy. And good song.