Author Topic: R&R HOF inductees announced  (Read 34213 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: R&R HOF inductees announced
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2009, 09:14:42 AM »
Bob Shannon just interviewed Little Anthony on WLNG -- damn, he's pushing 70 and sounds like a kid. And then Shannon played Anthony's cover of Neil Sedaka's "The Diary", NTM are quite superior to the orig IMHO.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2009, 06:40:14 AM »

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2009, 07:39:43 AM »
Announced this morning (so Kiss, Donna Summer, Red Hot Chili Peps didn't make this cut).
ABBA, Genesis among Rock Hall inductees
CLEVELAND – The 1970s Swedish pop group ABBA is dancing its way into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, along with Genesis, Jimmy Cliff, The Hollies and The Stooges.
The list of the next class of inductees was released Tuesday by the hall, which is based in Cleveland.
ABBA — whose hits included "Dancing Queen" — and the Stooges made it in this time after being nominated previously but then not making the cut.
The rock hall also has announced that an award for non-performers will go to music industry executive David Geffen, the songwriting teams of Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil and Ellie Greenwich and Jeff Barry, and individual songwriters Jesse Stone, Mort Shuman and Otis Blackwell.
The 25th annual induction ceremony is scheduled for March 15 in New York City.
On the Net: http://www.rockhall.com/induction2010/
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:41:41 AM by Wayback »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2009, 08:18:53 AM »
Finally! The Hollies! I am most thrilled about that. Maybe next year 3DN and Johnny Rivers?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2009, 12:06:56 PM »
Wow, they're giving the Brill Building songwriters big play this year--five of the seven songwriters inducted sprung from its halls. Can I assume that since Mort Shuman is being inducted as a solo that Doc Pomus is already in? And it's too bad Ellie Greenwich didn't live to be inducted either.

As Mike said, big props for the Hollies' induction. They're finally getting paid back, with interest!
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2009, 02:08:44 PM »
Wow, they're giving the Brill Building songwriters big play this year--five of the seven songwriters inducted sprung from its halls. Can I assume that since Mort Shuman is being inducted as a solo that Doc Pomus is already in? And it's too bad Ellie Greenwich didn't live to be inducted either.

As Mike said, big props for the Hollies' induction. They're finally getting paid back, with interest!

yes, for too long they've been King Midas in reverse when it came to the HoF..    ;D
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2010, 08:29:26 AM »
interesting/amusing LA Times piece on why the RnRHoF shouldn't ignore prog rock. DUDE!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/01/06/DDHM1BD7UO.DTL

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2010, 10:46:01 AM »
interesting/amusing LA Times piece on why the RnRHoF shouldn't ignore prog rock. DUDE!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/01/06/DDHM1BD7UO.DTL

tee hee!  the Rush fans are out in force in the comments..  (well, a small force so far)

trxlt
1/6/2010 8:20:47 AM
I think a case can be made for Rush to make the HOF. Like Genesis, they were a prog band at first, but then dropped the excess and became strictly a rock band.

flappy
1/6/2010 10:44:03 AM
I'd vote for Rush. Dude!

obamania
1/6/2010 10:06:54 AM
Rush belongs in the Hall.
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2010, 09:09:38 AM »
Rock HoF nominees announced: Alice Cooper, Bon Jovi, J Geils Band, Donovan, Dr John, Neil Diamond, Donna Summer, Beastie Boys, Tom Waits, Chic, Joe Tex, LL Cool J, Darlene Love:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/09/28/entertainment/e073409D81.DTL&tsp=1

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2010, 10:00:31 AM »
A short video report featured on today's yahoo:
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's biggest snubs: While one musician has been inducted three times, some artists are still waiting for their invitation: http://whoknew.news.yahoo.com/?nc&vid=23485158

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2010, 01:42:49 PM »
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's biggest snubs: While one musician has been inducted three times, some artists are still waiting for their invitation: http://whoknew.news.yahoo.com/?nc&vid=23485158
"Hello! Hooray! Let the show begin, I've been Elected."

Congrats, Alice!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2010, 02:10:54 PM »
"Hello! Hooray! Let the show begin, I've been Elected."

Congrats, Alice!
I guess Cleveland's not ready for LL's six pack abs!  Haha  ;)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2011, 11:25:15 AM »
Here's an online petition to induct Big Star into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame:   

http://www.petitiononline.com/bigstar/petition.html

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2011, 06:32:10 AM »
Elton John, Paul Simon, Neil Young among Rock Hall presenters
(02-08) 05:31 PST NEW YORK, (AP) -- Elton John recently made an album with his longtime idol, Leon Russell. Now he'll do the induction honors when Russell is ushered into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next month.  Russell and John are up for a Grammy award for their work on the joint album "The Union."
John won't be the only Rock and Roll Hall of Famer honoring the 2011 class on March 14.
Paul Simon will induct Neil Diamond, and Neil Young will induct Tom Waits.
Also, Rob Zombie will induct Alice Cooper while John Legend will induct Dr. John. And Bette Midler will pay tribute to Darlene Love. John Densmore of The Doors will induct Elektra Records founder Jac Holzman.
The induction ceremony will be in New York City and will air March 20 on the Fuse network.
Online: www.rockhall.com

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2011, 12:02:58 PM »
Carole King would have been a better inductee of Mr. Diamond.  Or Micky Dolenz.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”