Author Topic: KFOG "Evolution"  (Read 10955 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
KFOG "Evolution"
« on: March 31, 2016, 11:27:06 AM »
What's going on?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG "Evolution"
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 11:36:17 AM »
What's going on?

see "KFOG but not 10@10" and today's 10@10 threads. (and the 'snipe page too)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 12:31:29 PM »
What's going on?

forgive me, I was aware it was commingled with other threads, but thought it might deserve a topic of its own.  We can just delete this topic if it's unneccesary.   

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 12:33:55 PM »
What's going on?

forgive me, I was aware it was commingled with other threads, but thought it might deserve a topic of its own.  We can just delete this topic if it's unneccesary.

I guess we can leave it since we can dissect the "new" format in this thread when it actually premieres on 4/20 (heh).

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 12:52:18 PM »
After catching up in the disparate threads, I put on KFOG to listen.  I'm on Spring Break, so I never listen live at this hour.  It's pretty unlistenable, but that might have been true for me anyway.  It's been going in the American Idol pop direction for longer than I can say.  But as far as the bumpers go, it's hard to say what it portends.  On the surface, I think we'd expect some sort of robotic radio experience. Funny how they say "four twenty" as if it's going to be a stoner station.  I'm in deep denial, and hoping they'll bring back the KMPX format!  Not bloody likely, eh?

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 12:47:09 PM »

What I don't understand is why "they" are waiting three weeks to start the new format.
Presumably this change was planned, so why isn't it happening on Monday, or some time
next week.  What's to be gained?

I realize there is some portion of the listeners who either haven't noticed everybody is
gone or don't care.  But for the rest, aren't they increasingly at risk of being alienated
and lost as listeners before the "Evolution" even arrives?  If the new format is something
completely different, such as EDM, then I guess it's expected that a new audience will
materialize out of the ether.  If it's anything resembling AAA, the delay means more
potential listeners may have drifted away.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 12:56:10 PM »
What I don't understand is why "they" are waiting three weeks to start the new format.
Presumably this change was planned, so why isn't it happening on Monday, or some time
next week.  What's to be gained?

The only thing I can think of is that yesterday was 3/31, the last day of the first quarter. Yep, a stretch.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 03:30:26 PM »

Presumably this change was planned, so why isn't it happening on Monday, or some timenext week.  What's to be gained?

I realize there is some portion of the listeners who either haven't noticed everybody is
gone or don't care.  But for the rest, aren't they increasingly at risk of being alienated
and lost as listeners before the "Evolution" even arrives?  If the new format is something completely different, such as EDM, then I guess it's expected that a new audience will materialize out of the ether.  If it's anything resembling AAA, the delay means more potential listeners may have drifted away.

I think it's a combination of

(a) consultants think nonstop "jockless" music attracts younger listeners who hate hearing people talk.

(b) they do, to an extent, WANT to drive away the older listeners who would seem to be the ones most attached to the personalities and 10@10 and Acoustic Sunrise. So, 3 weeks for the memory of the old airstaff to fade, I guess.