Author Topic: RIP Paul Kantner, 74  (Read 3061 times)

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
RIP Paul Kantner, 74
« on: January 28, 2016, 05:27:05 PM »

Paul Kantner, one of the giants of the San Francisco music scene, died Thursday of multiple organ failure.
Mr. Kantner, a founding member of the Jefferson Airplane, was 74 and had suffered a heart attack this week.

http://www.sfgate.com/music/article/Jefferson-Airplane-s-Paul-Kantner-dies-at-74-6791483.php
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Paul Kantner, 74
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 11:14:30 PM »
as you old-timers may recall, Gaz & I were already friends before this club got off the ground.  We'd each just moved to the City & wound up temping at Schwab together.  Among the many commonalities we quickly discovered was how highly we both esteemed Jefferson Airplane/Starship.  We both said that our favorite track was probably not one that the other would guess, but in fact it was the same song, "Fast Buck Freddie" from the Red Octopus album, which was also one of the first LPs we each remembered buying (thank you Columbia House).

So a proxy for Gaz on this one.  I think I know how he feels.  And to borrow the last line from that song...

Sing it now while you still have a song!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 07:23:11 AM »
In contrast to their gushing tributes to Bowie and Frey, I didn't hear any mention of Kantner this morning from the KFOG crew.  Unless they do something later on. Anyone know if it got a mention from Webster or Dred yesterday?

ETA: I see they both mentioned it on FB, but I'm wondering how much (if any) Airplane /Starship music got played.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 07:30:20 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 08:22:29 AM »
In contrast to their gushing tributes to Bowie and Frey, I didn't hear any mention of Kantner this morning from the KFOG crew.  Unless they do something later on. Anyone know if it got a mention from Webster or Dred yesterday?

ETA: I see they both mentioned it on FB, but I'm wondering how much (if any) Airplane /Starship music got played.

Given how strongly he was identified with The city,  I'd hope his passing would warrant some sort of observance. But given the large number of rock star deaths of late,  this could be that point where they draw the line. If so, too bad. He deserved better.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 12:30:07 PM »
RIP...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 05:59:02 PM »

Given how strongly he was identified with The city,  I'd hope his passing would warrant some sort of observance. But given the large number of rock star deaths of late,  this could be that point where they draw the line. If so, too bad. He deserved better.

Per Tune Genie there was no Airplane/Starship last nite, and this morning at 7am they played (wait for it...) "Somebody to love".  And that was the entirety of their Kantner tribute.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round