Author Topic: RIP Glenn Frey, 67  (Read 4705 times)

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
RIP Glenn Frey, 67
« on: January 18, 2016, 02:16:40 PM »
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:07:45 PM by CapnJack »
Tuned to a natural E

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Glenn Frey, 67
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 02:55:31 PM »
Wow, this has been some week.  Don't have a link yet...

Damn. He was one of my favorite Age 14 artists ("Smugglers Blues", "The Heat Is On"). RIP

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 03:33:33 PM »
Wow, this has been some week.  Don't have a link yet...

There's a write-up on the Eagles FB page.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 04:56:29 PM »
That was me calling Webster to reminisce about seeing them in Cincinnati in '79 and requesting Seven Bridges Road.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 07:18:09 PM »
That was me calling Webster to reminisce about seeing them in Cincinnati in '79 and requesting Seven Bridges Road.

I'm rather surprised to see that they did a solid 2 hours of nonstop Eagles/Frey, since they really don't play them outside of 10@10 (unlike Bowie, who still shows up in regular rotay). And I guess Bowie provided the precedent -- they did 4 hours of  him last Monday morning.  I have to assume we'll get a Frye/Eagles 10@10 tomorrow.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 07:27:52 PM »

I'm rather surprised to see that they did a solid 2 hours of nonstop Eagles/Frey, since they really don't play them outside of 10@10 (unlike Bowie, who still shows up in regular rotay). And I guess Bowie provided the precedent -- they did 4 hours of  him last Monday morning.  I have to assume we'll get a Frye/Eagles 10@10 tomorrow.

I'm wondering what they'll do - obviously AL can focus on the Frey-heavy Eagles tunes, but as far as his solo work goes, it mostly leaned AC/Pop (not that that's necessarily bad). I have to think "Smugglers Blues" will make an appearance.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 09:40:31 PM »

I'm wondering what they'll do - obviously AL can focus on the Frey-heavy Eagles tunes, but as far as his solo work goes, it mostly leaned AC/Pop (not that that's necessarily bad). I have to think "Smugglers Blues" will make an appearance.

"Heat is on" has made multiple appearances (in the Morey era) and AL has played "Smuggler's" once; apparently the rest of his solo hits are MIA.  But I'd expect the set to be Eagles-heavy.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 10:57:24 AM »
If this spate of dying musicians continues they are going to have to call a moratorium on memorial sets. I now understand why DM sat said "we don't do death on 10@10." A rule he only deviated from twice that I can recall: for George Harrison and Maurice Gibb. AL has done many more,  but up until recently they weren't warranted but a couple times a year.

ETA: Forgive the typos in the above copy; was typing on my phone while waiting for the computer to show up.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 02:01:28 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 11:09:50 AM »
If this spate of dying musicians continues they are going to have to call a moratorium on memorial sets. I now understand why DM sat "we don't do death on 10@10." A rule he only deviated from twice that I can recall: for George Harrison and Maurice Gibb. ALSO has done many more,  but up until recently they weren't warranted but a couple times a year.

I think today's set worked as a nice compromise. Acknowledge the artist, but don't dwell on it. Particularly in the case of Frey, who, fine singer that he was, probably didn't really merit a full set.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 12:11:51 PM »
If this spate of dying musicians continues they are going to have to call a moratorium on memorial sets.

I was just thinking on this, as I expect we will see more rather fewer such sad occasions.  For example, Grace Slick turns 77 in October & Bob Dylan turns 75 in May (which should occasion a set for it's own sake).  In June, Paul McCartney turns 74 two days before Brian Wilson does, and a day later Ray Davies turns 72.  Ringo turns 76 and Mick turns 73 in July, with Keith also turning 73 before the end of the year.  Clapton, Townshend & Van Morrison all turn 71 this spring.

And Chuck Berry's 90th birthday is October.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 12:14:30 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010