Author Topic: KFOG A-to-Z 2016  (Read 15539 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KFOG A-to-Z 2016
« on: January 04, 2016, 08:52:16 AM »
Been listening for about an hour; we're in the "All" songs. First mild surprise of the day: "All Mixed Up", which is not one of the half-dozen Cars songs that KFOG plays 27 times a week. Once again we're getting songs that show up on 10@10 but not in regular rotay -- here's Henley's "All She wants to Do is Dance"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG A-to-Z 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 09:47:33 AM »
Once again we're getting songs that show up on 10@10 but not in regular rotay...

Which resulted in the odd coincidence of hearing the Hooters twice in an hour: "All You Zombies" and "And We Danced"

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 11:10:26 AM »
Once again we're getting songs that show up on 10@10 but not in regular rotay...

Which resulted in the odd coincidence of hearing the Hooters twice in an hour: "All You Zombies" and "And We Danced"

Not that KFOG would ever play her in this context, but on our 2015 road trip, where I had my iPOD loaded alphabetically, we heard Neneh Cherry's "Buddy X" followed by her "Buffalo Stance".... 20,000 total songs, only about 25 of which are from Cherry - what are the chances?

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 04:51:26 PM »
Currently Jack Johnson, "Breakdown".  Webster said there were a couple of them, so I'm assuming Tom Petty is next.  This A to Z is skewing way towards newer things, however, so maybe not.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 05:00:06 PM »
I'm seeing a tad more '70s than last time, though it could just be the luck of the draw. in the past hour:

Brooce, Born to Run
J Browne, Boulevard
Bohemian Rhapsody
Dead, Box of Rain.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 05:05:48 PM »
I'm seeing a tad more '70s than last time, though it could just be the luck of the draw. in the past hour:

Brooce, Born to Run
J Browne, Boulevard
Bohemian Rhapsody
Dead, Box of Rain.

Just goes to show how much attention I am able to pay while I'm working.  The songs are playing, but nobody's home.  I tend to find myself with random songs stuck in my head on the way home from work, with no idea how they got there.

BTW, for those scoring at home, Tom Petty was indeed next, and then we had some breakfast at Tiffany's.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 07:51:49 AM »
Woke up today to the "Come" songs. Heh. NoName, who used to work at KOME, was quite amused.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 09:10:55 AM »
Woke up today to the "Come" songs. Heh. NoName, who used to work at KOME, was quite amused.

Speaking of NoName, one morning last week my alarm clock woke me right when Renee was playing someone doing "Helplessly Hoping".  It was a very nice, pretty straightforward version, the harmonies very precise.  NoName says he likes it, thought it reminded him of "Crosberry Stills and Young".  Renee pointed out that it was of course a cover of CS&N.  NoName at least had he good grace to admit how embarrassed he was ...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 09:44:19 AM »

Speaking of NoName, one morning last week my alarm clock woke me right when Renee was playing someone doing "Helplessly Hoping".  It was a very nice, pretty straightforward version, the harmonies very precise.  NoName says he likes it, thought it reminded him of "Crosberry Stills and Young".  Renee pointed out that it was of course a cover of CS&N.  NoName at least had he good grace to admit how embarrassed he was ...

He's still smarter than the Mind the Gap contestants today.  (all the answers began with "C", of course)  The geezer had never heard of Creed (the movie) and they played the hipster a clip from Caddyshack (she had no clue) and when they played the Clash covering "I Fought the Law" and asked her to ID the band, she said "Creedence".

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 11:03:18 AM »
Whatever else you might say about A-Z, at least we don't get any of the small roster of
Coldplay, Imagine Dragons, etc. songs that are usually played immediately after 10@10.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 11:10:15 AM »
Dirty Vegas - “Days Go By” - surprised to hear it on KFOG. Although, something tells me this has appeared on A-Z before and I was surprised to hear it then too.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 12:24:35 PM »
Dirty Vegas - “Days Go By” - surprised to hear it on KFOG. Although, something tells me this has appeared on A-Z before and I was surprised to hear it then too.

It's made a couple of 10@10 appearances, which seems to be prerequisite for any song not in regular KFOG rotay.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 10:00:01 AM »
Yesterday I awoke to the "Come" songs; now before 10@10 it's the "Head" songs. Hrm.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 10:00:22 AM »
hey-oh-ma-ma-ma: we're in the L songs.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 03:51:03 PM »
We're in the Ms. 

Mexican Radio > Mickey

Kind of an odd juxtaposition of two rather odd songs.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing