Author Topic: I didn't know that!  (Read 65056 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: I didn't know that!
« Reply #150 on: October 21, 2016, 10:01:06 AM »
Just heard Ronnie Laws' cover of "Tell Me Something Good" (Rufus & Chaka Khan had the hit in '74) on WTF (which is back on the air, btw). In looking it up, because I couldn't ID who was covering it, I learned that the song was written by Stevie Wonder. I had no clue.

I think the story was they were recording in adjoining studios and he heard Chaka's voice and wrote her a song on the spot -- which she rejected. So he wrote this one.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 21, 2016, 11:11:33 AM »
Just heard Ronnie Laws' cover of "Tell Me Something Good" (Rufus & Chaka Khan had the hit in '74) on WTF (which is back on the air, btw). In looking it up, because I couldn't ID who was covering it, I learned that the song was written by Stevie Wonder. I had no clue.

I think the story was they were recording in adjoining studios and he heard Chaka's voice and wrote her a song on the spot -- which she rejected. So he wrote this one.

I'd believe that. Man, that dude just exuded great songs back then, pretty much like breathing.  Wonder what the song was that she turned down?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 21, 2016, 11:45:27 AM »

I'd believe that. Man, that dude just exuded great songs back then, pretty much like breathing.  Wonder what the song was that she turned down?

per Songfacts:

The story Chaka Khan tells is that Wonder was going to bring them a song in the studio, and when he dropped by and played her the song, she stunned her bandmates by telling the mighty Stevie Wonder she didn't like it; Chaka says she was 19 and pregnant, so she was a little prickly at the time. Wonder asked her astrological sign, and when she told him Aries, he delivered "Tell Me Something Good." According to Chaka, she loved it and they worked out the song together in the studio, although Stevie is the only credited writer on the song.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round