Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 228317 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #435 on: February 22, 2009, 12:18:07 PM »
Watching another Costello episode: Elvis steps aside and lets Elton John interview Diana Krall (aka Mrs. Costello).

DK: besides music, I love fashion -- I enjoy being a girl.

EJ: So do I !!

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 24, 2009, 08:26:40 PM »
Chris Isaak hosts a new music interview series Thurs nights on the Bio Channel. Guests in the next few weeks include Stevie Nicks, Glen Campbell, Smashing Pumpkins, Chicago, Cat Stevens(!). Article today:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/24/DD3T16388N.DTL

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 24, 2009, 08:40:49 PM »
Chris Isaak hosts a new music interview series Thurs nights on the Bio Channel. Guests in the next few weeks include Stevie Nicks, Glen Campbell, Smashing Pumpkins, Chicago, Cat Stevens(!). Article today:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/24/DD3T16388N.DTL

sounds like Chris has been watching Elvis' show...

Tonite at 9 on VH-1, part 1 of their 4-part series "Black to the Future", about black contributions to pop culture. Tonite's episode is about the '70s! I am totally there.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 25, 2009, 07:50:46 PM »
And girl drummers have come a long way since Karen Carpenter!

Ahem.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 25, 2009, 09:22:45 PM »
Tonite at 9 on VH-1, part 1 of their 4-part series "Black to the Future", about black contributions to pop culture. Tonite's episode is about the '70s! I am totally there.

The '70 ep was great, but tonite's look at the '80s is even funnier (it's basically the same format as "I Love the '80s" and "Best Week Ever"). Watchoo talkin' bout, Willis?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 01, 2009, 04:36:53 PM »
"ya know how I know you're gay?"

I'm watching the digitally remastered version of Liza with a "Z", Ms. Minnelli's legendary 1972 TV special.  It's rather bizarre to see her covering Joe Tex's "I Gotcha" (!) and Dusty's "Son of a Preacher Man" in full Bob Fosse mode.  But I believe it put her in that rather select club of people who've won an Emmy and an Oscar in the same year.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 10, 2009, 09:08:17 AM »
Apparently there's a fabulous Stax/Volt Revue show that PBS stations are showing this month -- not one of those oldies packages, this is vintage late-'60s footage not seen in decades.  Something to watch out for.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 10, 2009, 12:12:36 PM »
Apparently there's a fabulous Stax/Volt Revue show that PBS stations are showing this month -- not one of those oldies packages, this is vintage late-'60s footage not seen in decades.  Something to watch out for.

Didn't I post about this last week someplace? If I didn't I meant to. It aired here last week. Shot in '67 in Oslo Norway, features Sam & Dave, Otis Redding, Arthur Conley, possibly the Mar-keys but I missed them if it did. And Booker T. and the MGs & the Memphis Horns backing everyone. Definitely worth seeing and even worth enduring the pledge breaks.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 10, 2009, 01:08:36 PM »

Didn't I post about this last week someplace? If I didn't I meant to. It aired here last week. Shot in '67 in Oslo Norway, features Sam & Dave, Otis Redding, Arthur Conley, possibly the Mar-keys but I missed them if it did. And Booker T. and the MGs & the Memphis Horns backing everyone. Definitely worth seeing and even worth enduring the pledge breaks.

You probably did; I just heard it mentioned on WLNG this morning and knew it sounded familiar, somehow.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 12, 2009, 10:13:45 AM »
If you missed the "season premiere" of South Park last nite, catch the replay this evening. Great send-up of the Jonas Bros, Disney and purity rings.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 12, 2009, 11:05:16 AM »
If you missed the "season premiere" of South Park last nite, catch the replay this evening. Great send-up of the Jonas Bros, Disney and purity rings.

I saw some of the beginning before switching over to "Life on Mars" (which I would also recommend to viewers -- cool show, great music).  Funny stuff.  On the other hand, I am so out of the loop on the Jonas Brothers that I can't really relate on that level.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 12, 2009, 11:06:38 AM »
anyone watching Idol?  My wife & kids are into it, and so I can't entirely avoid it.  Tuesday night Paula had some horrible makeup mishap & was acting quite eratic.  If I cared more I suppose I'd google to see if the blogosphere had the same take, but really I don't.  Bashing her here is as far as I'm willing to go.   ;D
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 12, 2009, 11:25:38 AM »
anyone watching Idol?  My wife & kids are into it, and so I can't entirely avoid it.  Tuesday night Paula had some horrible makeup mishap & was acting quite eratic.  If I cared more I suppose I'd google to see if the blogosphere had the same take, but really I don't.  Bashing her here is as far as I'm willing to go.   ;D

This season my better nature has won out and I am not watching this year.  Usually i tune in at about this point, when the "finalists" start competing for "real", but I just don't feel the pull this year. 
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 12, 2009, 11:43:15 AM »

I saw some of the beginning before switching over to "Life on Mars" (which I would also recommend to viewers -- cool show, great music).  Funny stuff.  On the other hand, I am so out of the loop on the Jonas Brothers that I can't really relate on that level.

you know about the "sequel" to Life on mars, Ashes to Ashes, on BBC America?  (I Guess as long as Bowie keeps making music, they'll have sequel titles...)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 12, 2009, 11:59:54 AM »

you know about the "sequel" to Life on mars, Ashes to Ashes, on BBC America?  (I Guess as long as Bowie keeps making music, they'll have sequel titles...)

Yeah, I read Tim Goodman's review.  Set in '81 rather than '73, the music appreciation aspect just won't be the same.  And, I don't have BBC America on my cable package.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing