Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 226973 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #420 on: February 08, 2009, 05:14:17 PM »
Anyone else watching the Grammys tonight?  Poor Whitney - why did she even take the stage in that condition?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 08, 2009, 06:47:51 PM »
Anyone else watching the Grammys tonight?  Poor Whitney - why did she even take the stage in that condition?

Thanks for the heads-up! (Only the Oscars and the Super Bowl are live to us West Coasters.) I'll watch the first hour or so just to see what you're talking about. I'm watching the BAFTAs now. One of the winners was a guy named Steve McQueen -- who turned out to be a black Scotsman!  And they just gave their version of the Lifetime Achievement Award to Terry Gilliam.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 06:50:23 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 08, 2009, 07:29:40 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up! (Only the Oscars and the Super Bowl are live to us West Coasters.) I'll watch the first hour or so just to see what you're talking about. I'm watching the BAFTAs now. One of the winners was a guy named Steve McQueen -- who turned out to be a black Scotsman!  And they just gave their version of the Lifetime Achievement Award to Terry Gilliam.

Mick Jagger showed up at the BAFTAs to present the Best Film award. "In case you're wondering why I'm here, I'm part of the Rock Star/Movie Star Exchange Program -- later tonight, Sir Ben Kingsley will be performing 'Brown Sugar' at the Grammies, and Sir Anthony Hopkins is currently in the recording studio with Amy Winehouse."

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #423 on: February 08, 2009, 08:16:41 PM »
I dug U2, of course, and it really seemed like an homage to Subterranean Homesick Blues!

And yeah, Whitney looked trashed!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 08, 2009, 08:18:20 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up! (Only the Oscars and the Super Bowl are live to us West Coasters.) I'll watch the first hour or so just to see what you're talking about.

Just saw it -- yikes. The woman cain't help herself. 

But (except for U2, who I kinda dug in an over-the-top way, and now I know what the lyrics are to that "Boots" song) the entire first 10 minutes was craptastic. Jennifer Hudson proving that a death in the family guarantees a win (Raphael Saddiq wuz robbed!); Dwayne Johnson -- WTF?; and will somebody please tell me why people love Justin Timberlake?  Let Al Green sing the song his own damn self.  Oh, and BoyzIIMen did an album of Motown covers? Did anyone actually buy it?

And coming up: Kid Rock! Miley Cyrus! Sheesh. I'm outta here.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 08, 2009, 08:35:55 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up! (Only the Oscars and the Super Bowl are live to us West Coasters.) I'll watch the first hour or so just to see what you're talking about.

Just saw it -- yikes. The woman cain't help herself. 

But (except for U2, who I kinda dug in an over-the-top way, and now I know what the lyrics are to that "Boots" song) the entire first 10 minutes was craptastic. Jennifer Hudson proving that a death in the family guarantees a win (Raphael Saddiq wuz robbed!); Dwayne Johnson -- WTF?; and will somebody please tell me why people love Justin Timberlake?  Let Al Green sing the song his own damn self.  Oh, and BoyzIIMen did an album of Motown covers? Did anyone actually buy it?

And coming up: Kid Rock! Miley Cyrus! Sheesh. I'm outta here.
But wait!  Who is Carrie Underwood's hot  blonde guitar player?  She shreds with the best of the big hair boys!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 08, 2009, 09:42:23 PM »

WTF?; and will somebody please tell me why people love Justin Timberlake?  Let Al Green sing the song his own damn self.

Apparently that was a last second switch.  Rihanna was supposed to be in that slot, and her boyfriend Chris Brown was supposed to be on later, but both cancelled less than an hour before, because he got himself in police custody after assault charges were filed against him.  Late breaking news didn't say whom he assaulted, or exactly why Rihanna no-showed, or if the two things were related.  I'm sure when I wake up in the morning it will be all over the news.

So in that case I'm willing to cut Timberlake some slack.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 09, 2009, 07:13:38 AM »

WTF?; and will somebody please tell me why people love Justin Timberlake?  Let Al Green sing the song his own damn self.

Apparently that was a last second switch.  Rihanna was supposed to be in that slot, and her boyfriend Chris Brown was supposed to be on later, but both cancelled less than an hour before, because he got himself in police custody after assault charges were filed against him.  Late breaking news didn't say whom he assaulted, or exactly why Rihanna no-showed, or if the two things were related.  I'm sure when I wake up in the morning it will be all over the news.

So in that case I'm willing to cut Timberlake some slack.

I'm sickened by this news - Rihanna used to be a semi-regular at the restaurant my ex-roommate used to work at, and he got to know her a bit over several months.  I met her once there - she was genuinely friendly and downright radiant.  Hate to think that anyone might have raised a hand to her in violence.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 09, 2009, 08:05:42 AM »
I'm sickened by this news - Rihanna used to be a semi-regular at the restaurant my ex-roommate used to work at, and he got to know her a bit over several months.  I met her once there - she was genuinely friendly and downright radiant.  Hate to think that anyone might have raised a hand to her in violence.

FWIW, E! reports he did indeed "rough her up":

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b99069_police_looking_chris_brown_after.html

Da ladiez dey loves da gangstaz. ::)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 09, 2009, 09:50:42 AM »

Glib, cruel, and unfair.   :(

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 09, 2009, 09:54:01 AM »

Glib, cruel, and unfair.   :(

No it's not -- I'm sorry she's with a guy who hits her, but it's hardly unusual, sadly. That was my point.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 11, 2009, 09:04:58 PM »
I'm watching the Elvis C show on Sundance Channel (this week's guests include Zooey Deschanel and Jakob Dylan) and he opened with a very cool cover of the Dan's "Show Biz Kids" -- appropriate, given Zooey's and Jakob's lineage.

Zooey Deschanel is also 1/2 of the duo She & Him, and watching her sing, I thought, "she should *totally* star in a Linda Ronstadt biopic!"

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 09:16:18 PM by RGMike »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 11, 2009, 10:08:03 PM »
I'm watching the Elvis C show on Sundance Channel (this week's guests include Zooey Deschanel and Jakob Dylan) and he opened with a very cool cover of the Dan's "Show Biz Kids" -- appropriate, given Zooey's and Jakob's lineage.

Zooey Deschanel is also 1/2 of the duo She & Him, and watching her sing, I thought, "she should *totally* star in a Linda Ronstadt biopic!"
I got the same Ronstadt vibe, especially in the kind of dress she was wearing.  I really dug the father/daughter drum duo as well.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 12, 2009, 07:47:51 AM »

I got the same Ronstadt vibe, especially in the kind of dress she was wearing.  I really dug the father/daughter drum duo as well.

Totally -- her hair, the dress -- she was Linda in 1975.  And girl drummers have come a long way since Karen Carpenter!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 20, 2009, 10:05:36 PM »
Just watched the latest episode of the Costello show -- just Elvis and Smokey Robinson for an hour. Fabulous stuff.