Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 226916 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #360 on: August 09, 2008, 11:19:31 AM »
CST gives us a rerun of an early-'74 classic I saw earlier this year: Sylvia, doing one of her follow-ups to "Pillow Talk", and duetting with the Moments, who also do their own "Sexy Mama".  Bonus: an appearance by Ecstasy, Passion & Pain!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 09, 2008, 11:38:59 AM »
Bonus: an appearance by Ecstasy, Passion & Pain!

And again may I say that EP&P are most impressive. The lead singer, Barbara Roy, a tall Gloria Gaynor lookalike with a huge 'fro, is also the guitar player. (Don Cornelius to Barbara: "Well, I guess you must be Ecstasy..." LOL!)

Also of note in the Soul Train Dancers segments, 2 then-current singles that never crossed over: Martha Reeves covering Joe Simon's "Power of Love", and an early Herbie Hancock instrumental, "Chameleon".

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 09, 2008, 11:25:51 PM »
Bonus: an appearance by Ecstasy, Passion & Pain!

And again may I say that EP&P are most impressive. The lead singer, Barbara Roy, a tall Gloria Gaynor lookalike with a huge 'fro, is also the guitar player. (Don Cornelius to Barbara: "Well, I guess you must be Ecstasy..." LOL!)

Also of note in the Soul Train Dancers segments, 2 then-current singles that never crossed over: Martha Reeves covering Joe Simon's "Power of Love", and an early Herbie Hancock instrumental, "Chameleon".

Don't know the Reeves cover, but the Herbie Hancock tune rocks--a great jazz/funk workout from his seminal Head Hunters album, which was covered by several jazz outfits--including Maynard Ferguson!
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 10, 2008, 12:18:39 PM »
the Herbie Hancock tune rocks--a great jazz/funk workout from his seminal Head Hunters album, which was covered by several jazz outfits--including Maynard Ferguson!

It def sounded familiar to me, and turns out it just missed the pop Top 40, peaking at #42, while getting into the R&B Top 20.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 21, 2008, 04:17:41 PM »
The Banana Splits are getting a Cartoon Network "makeover":

http://www.luxuriamusic.com/blog/djpyro/the-banana-splits-in-tv-comeback

Tra La La... somebody notify the Bob Marley estate.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 23, 2008, 11:36:09 AM »
A Summer-of-'78 CST, with the Dells (in fab matching salmon-pink suits) doing a disco-fonky "Super Woman" (NOT the Stevie Wonder tune). And the Brothers Johnson appear, with Don Cornelius presenting them with a platinum LP before they perform "Ain't We Funkin' Now".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 28, 2008, 05:35:45 PM »
Stevie Wonder live at the DNC, doing a song unfamiliar to me ("If My Eyes Were to See"?) backed-up by what sounds like Take 6.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #367 on: August 28, 2008, 07:07:03 PM »
Stevie Wonder live at the DNC, doing a song unfamiliar to me ("If My Eyes Were to See"?) backed-up by what sounds like Take 6.
we went out for a ride and missed Michael McDonald; did anyone catch it?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 28, 2008, 08:33:24 PM »
Didn't take the YouTube community long at all.  Fears can't put dreams to sleep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvvTO9tATBk
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 28, 2008, 09:13:28 PM »

I was watching MSNBC and they chose not to show Mr. McD.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 28, 2008, 09:20:14 PM »
The entire event was shown on C-Span. Here's Michael McDonald:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSTBCF-3Lb8&feature=user

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 28, 2008, 10:04:58 PM »
BTW, did everyone notice the song they played immediately after Obama's speech?  No, it wasn't Springsteen, it was "Only in America" by... Brooks & Dunn.  Curious choice, playing something so, um, white at that exact moment. But more interestingly, country acts are notoriously conservative/Repub, and I can't imagine the Dems would've used the song without permission, so if B&D are endorsing Obama, that's impressive and newsworthy.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 30, 2008, 02:44:14 PM »
Sadly, WGN pre-empted CST this week, so I missed out on an ep featuring the Staple Singers.

But VH-1 Soul is repeating their all-Prince-all-the-time weekend; right now it's an hour of "Prince's Women" -- we've had Vanity, Apollonia, and OMFG it's Sheena Easton's "Sugar Walls"! and her "Strut" too! I'm awash in delightfully cheezy '80s-ness.

Meanwhile, over on Fuse, they're doing a Top 20 Boys of Summer countdown (all male-dominated videos from the past 4 months). Everyone from Flo Rida to Foo Fightas. I'm assuming the Kid Rock tune that samples Zevon & Skynyrd will show up at some point.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 06, 2008, 11:17:57 AM »
A CST from the summer of '86 headlined by Run-DMC -- I'm wondering if Aerosmith will make a cameo appearance.  Meanwhile the dancers have been grooving to a couple of forgotten semi-hits: Nu Shooz's "I Can't Wait" follow-up, "Point of No Return" (a Gaz fave iirc, or have I confused it with the Expose tune of the same name?); and James Brown's "Gravity". 

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 06, 2008, 04:43:31 PM »
Sadly, WGN pre-empted CST this week, so I missed out on an ep featuring the Staple Singers.

But VH-1 Soul is repeating their all-Prince-all-the-time weekend; right now it's an hour of "Prince's Women" -- we've had Vanity, Apollonia, and OMFG it's Sheena Easton's "Sugar Walls"! and her "Strut" too! I'm awash in delightfully cheezy '80s-ness.

Did you get "Manic Monday"?  I went on a Bangles kick yesterday, listening to their greatest-hits comp and marvelling at the Beatliciousness of "Hero Takes a Fall."

And it's the Expose "Point of No Return" I dig, not the Nu Shooz one.   8)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”