Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 228425 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #345 on: June 21, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »
Lawd! a Classic Soul Train from late '78 with everyone in full disco regalia and Cheryl Lynn doing "Got to Be Real". And again ah say: Lawd!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 21, 2008, 01:48:57 PM »
Lawd! a Classic Soul Train from late '78 with everyone in full disco regalia and Cheryl Lynn doing "Got to Be Real". And again ah say: Lawd!

and the WTF-of-the-Day belongs to Joe Simon, attempting a disco comeback wearing a blue sequinned suit, a sparkly earring the size of a Swiss Army knife, and an afro he appears to have borrowed from Gloria Gaynor! LOL!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 01:51:38 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 05, 2008, 11:13:43 AM »
A rare late-'80s Classic Soul Train (circa 1988) features the late great Jermaine Stewart doing his shoulda-been-bigger "Say it Again". And yet to come: Pebbles (presumably doing "Mercedes Boy") and the underrated black rock act The Busboys.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 05, 2008, 11:25:49 AM »
A rare late-'80s Classic Soul Train (circa 1988) features the late great Jermaine Stewart doing his shoulda-been-bigger "Say it Again". And yet to come: Pebbles (presumably doing "Mercedes Boy") and the underrated black rock act The Busboys.

a theme emerges: Stewart was a former Soul Train dancer, and so was the leader of The Busboys. Not familiar with the number the Busboys are doing, it's much more late-'80s funk/dance than their New Wave rock material from earlier in the decade. It also didn't chart.

SFGuy

« Reply #349 on: July 05, 2008, 10:34:23 PM »

What network or station televises these old Soul Train?

I only remember the Busboys from an appearance in the movie 48 Hours.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 06, 2008, 11:15:41 AM »

Yes! they were in that movie, that was when they were still doing New Wavish rock.

Soul Train is on WGN the Chicago Superstation, which is Ch. 33 on Comcast -- they usually run it at 11am Pacific time on Saturday morning (with occasional switches for Cubs or White Sox baseball). Locally, TV 20 (cable 13) runs it at 2am Sat nite/Sun morning.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #351 on: July 06, 2008, 02:19:29 PM »

Yes! they were in that movie, that was when they were still doing New Wavish rock.

Soul Train is on WGN the Chicago Superstation, which is Ch. 33 on Comcast -- they usually run it at 11am Pacific time on Saturday morning (with occasional switches for Cubs or White Sox baseball). Locally, TV 20 (cable 13) runs it at 2am Sat nite/Sun morning.
Good question SFGuy!  I often wondered where Mike was groovin' to the old Soul Trains!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 12, 2008, 11:22:01 AM »
This week's CST (it was about time for an acronym, no?) is from '77: Enchantment doing the gorgeous ballad "Gloria", with BT Express and someone named Letta Mbulu still to come.

SFGuy

« Reply #353 on: July 14, 2008, 12:58:06 AM »
This week's CST (it was about time for an acronym, no?) is from '77: Enchantment doing the gorgeous ballad "Gloria", with BT Express and someone named Letta Mbulu still to come.

I never caught any of these classic episodes but I think it would be interesting just to see the hairstyles and clothes worn by everyone in that era.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 17, 2008, 08:35:45 PM »
OMG -- Rush just became 10% cooler by perforing live on Colbert!

"It's their first TV appearance in 30 years -- they're the JD Salinger of Canadian prog rock!"

ETA: they did "Tom Sawyer", and it went. on. forever.  -- indeed, Colbert made fun of the fact that the song went on longer than the segment they appeared in.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:04:38 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 19, 2008, 11:27:51 AM »
One of the best CSTs evah! Al Green, circa early '74, doing two obscure LP cuts so far (including "Jesus is Waiting" -- and this was pre-grits tragedy).  Even with his arm in a sling, still the epitome of sexy.

All this and the post-Curtis M. Impressions too!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 19, 2008, 11:52:52 AM »
One of the best CSTs evah! Al Green, circa early '74, doing two obscure LP cuts so far (including "Jesus is Waiting" -- and this was pre-grits tragedy).  Even with his arm in a sling, still the epitome of sexy.

All this and the post-Curtis M. Impressions too!

in the 2nd half: Rev. Al (with a large back-up ensemble, 10 or 12 pieces) did "Livin For You" and "Here I Am (Come And Take Me)", while the Impressions impressed with their fine, Marvin Gaye-ish "Finally Got Myself Together".  One for the time capsule.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 24, 2008, 08:51:50 PM »
Colbert features rapper Nas, who led a protest against racism at FOX News.

Colbert: "Nas may have street cred, but I have gated-community cred."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 01, 2008, 09:51:04 PM »
coming up at 10pm tonite, Sundance Channel is showing "You're Gonna Miss Me", the docu about Roky Erickson. I missed it last year at the Roxie; hope I can stay up long enuf to check it out.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 02, 2008, 11:13:28 AM »
This week's CST is another late-'78 disco-fest: Brass Construction and Peaches & Herb, shakin' their collective groove thanhgs.