Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 227051 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #330 on: May 10, 2008, 11:25:17 AM »
And here's Lace: total Vanity/Appollonia knock-offs, right down to the outfits. "My Love is Deep", pretty much their only hit, and it never got around to charting pop.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 11, 2008, 05:33:35 PM »
Meant to mention this last week, but TCM is doing a Sinatra salute all month (10th anniv of his death). Besides a bunch of films, they're showing his "A Man & His Music" specials from the mid-'60s. Tonite it's "AM&HM Pt 2", featuring daughter Nancy, a vision in pink knee-high leather boots, covering Cher's "Bang Bang", "On Broadway", and (in a duet with dad) "Downtown".  Fab stuff -- they're repeating it at 8pm tonite.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 17, 2008, 11:07:47 AM »
it's a Classic Soul Train from early '82: Ray Parker Jr (who will surely do "The Other Woman") and Sister Sledge (whose mid-charting remake of "My Guy" was their only record of note at the time).

But the dancers are groovin' to D-Train's fab "You're the One for Me", which never charted pop but was one of the biggest records of the year on NYC urban formats.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 17, 2008, 11:25:17 AM »
it's a Classic Soul Train from early '82: Ray Parker Jr (who will surely do "The Other Woman") and Sister Sledge (whose mid-charting remake of "My Guy" was their only record of note at the time).

Ah, but the "Soul Train History Book" flashback to '73 tops 'em all: Smooth Smokey, pre-frozen gumbo, with "Baby Come Close".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 21, 2008, 09:18:55 PM »
I'm watching an ep of Futurama that's new to me -- Beck, spoofing himself at the "Monsters of Vaguely Folkish Alterna-Rock" concert.

"Bender, that was the best 40-minute washboard solo I've ever heard"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 24, 2008, 11:08:43 AM »
A Classic Soul Train from the spring of '84. The Dazz Band and Run DMC promised, but the first record the dancers are groovin' to is "Lovelite" by O'Bryan:

who was famously rumored to be Don Cornelius's down-low boy-toy (!) The song actually reached #1 on the R&B chart.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 24, 2008, 11:42:06 AM »
Sadly, by '84 the Soul Train '70s Flashback clip had been replaced by a current video. And bizarrely, this week's vid is Huey Lewis's "Heart of Rock'n'Roll" (!)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 03, 2008, 08:15:28 PM »
Fred Schneider, on "The Daily Show", sing-reading excerpts from Scott McClellan's book to the tune of "Love Shack". Hilarious.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 07, 2008, 11:19:25 AM »
A late-summer/early fall '82 Classic Soul Train. Vanity 6 seductively synching "Nasty Girl", with a post-"MammaJamma" Carl Carlton yet to come. And the dancers were gyrating to a young Janet Jackson ("Young Love") and OHW Bobby Nunn's "She's Just a Groupie" -- he's a Rick James sideman doing a creditable RJ imitation, on Motown. Not sure if Rick wrote and/or produced it, but it sure sounds like it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 07, 2008, 11:33:40 AM »
The "Soul Train History Book" opens to a 1978 clip of Frankie Valli doing "Grease" (!?!)

Then Carl Carlton appears to do a disco-synth cover of "Baby I Need Your Lovin'" -- don't remember this at all.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 08, 2008, 12:21:27 PM »
VH-1 Soul is showing hour-long blocks of Prince videos this weekend. They appear to be in chronological order; this hour began with the Batman stuff: "BatDance", "Partyman", "Scandalous"...  sadly, no "Arms of Orion", but instead here's the unjustly forgotten "Thieves in the Temple".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 14, 2008, 11:17:52 AM »
Oh. My. F---ing. GAWD!  A Classic Soul Train from 1980 features Yellow Magic Orchestra, performing their delightfully wacky synth-oriented cover of "Tighten Up"! Haven't heard this in ages; a big "turntable hit" on NY radio at the time, as well a significant club record. Ryuichi Sakamoto in his pre soundtrack-scoring days. Amazing that they got booked on this show. Highlight of my weekend.

Good Heavens, Mr Sakamoto!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 11:23:40 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 14, 2008, 11:46:23 AM »
Also on the Train: a post-TOP Lenny Williams, doing a very nice cover of "Oooh Child" that's new to me, tho' it apparently charted in '80. Followed by more YMO, doing an instrumental that doesn't sound familiar.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 16, 2008, 09:25:39 AM »
Oh. My. F---ing. GAWD!  A Classic Soul Train from 1980 features Yellow Magic Orchestra, performing their delightfully wacky synth-oriented cover of "Tighten Up"! Haven't heard this in ages; a big "turntable hit" on NY radio at the time, as well a significant club record. Ryuichi Sakamoto in his pre soundtrack-scoring days. Amazing that they got booked on this show. Highlight of my weekend.

Was flippin' through channels and caught the wrap-up of this.  I don't remember YMO at all, and the bit of "Tighten Up" I saw was a WTF moment if ever there was one.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 16, 2008, 12:20:31 PM »

Was flippin' through channels and caught the wrap-up of this.  I don't remember YMO at all, and the bit of "Tighten Up" I saw was a WTF moment if ever there was one.
The full clip's on YouTube, for those who missed and are curious.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”