Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 227014 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #315 on: April 05, 2008, 07:59:50 AM »
Check out the offspring of famous rockers competing in a new reality show:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080404/ap_en_tv/people_rock_the_cradle_2
And, a young woman from Danville is producing that new show:
www.contracostatimes.com/entertainmentnewsletter/ci_8779211?nclick_check=1

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 05, 2008, 11:15:35 AM »
This week's Classic Soul Train is from summer '83. Here's Klique doing their excellent cover of Jackie Wilson's "Doggin' Me Around" -- their lead singer Howard Huntsberry actually *played* Wilson in La Bamba.

And yet to come: a pre-diet Jennifer Holliday. And ah am TELLIN' you -- she's not starvin'!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 05, 2008, 11:32:47 AM »
This week's Classic Soul Train is from summer '83. Here's Klique doing their excellent cover of Jackie Wilson's "Doggin' Me Around" -- their lead singer Howard Huntsberry actually *played* Wilson in La Bamba.

And yet to come: a pre-diet Jennifer Holliday. And ah am TELLIN' you -- she's not starvin'!

Nice surprise: in the mid-'80s, Soul Train showed a '70s flashback clip in each episode, so here's a huge-afro-ed, early 1973 Jermaine Jackson (with all his brothers) doing "Daddy's Home".

And now here's Miss Holliday, doing "I Am Love" (NOT the J-5 hit), which was a huge R&B #2 but which never really crossed over to pop.

ETA: in the interview, Jennifer reveals that the song was produced by Maurice White, and co-written by White, David Foster, and Allee Willis!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 11:40:17 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 05, 2008, 07:09:26 PM »
Just watched a fine docu on VH-1: "The Night James Brown Saved Boston", about the concert JB gave at Boston Garden the night after MLK's assassination. Worth a look, and they're repeating it at 9pm tonite (and many more times, no doubt).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 19, 2008, 11:11:40 AM »
another Classic Soul Train from Spring '83: Con Funk Shun and Angela Bofill. And the dancers are groovin' to Prince's "Little Red Corvette".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 19, 2008, 11:31:20 AM »
another Classic Soul Train from Spring '83: Con Funk Shun and Angela Bofill. And the dancers are groovin' to Prince's "Little Red Corvette".

And here's another '70s-flashback clip: Herb Alpert horn-synching (blow-synching?) "Rise".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 19, 2008, 11:38:25 AM »
Ms Bofill just sang her '83 hit "Too Tough", and I was about to call it a Soul Train Narada -- and lo, she tells Don Cornelius it was written and co-produced by... Narada Michael Walden!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 19, 2008, 07:40:02 PM »
Just watched a fine docu on VH-1: "The Night James Brown Saved Boston", about the concert JB gave at Boston Garden the night after MLK's assassination. Worth a look, and they're repeating it at 9pm tonite (and many more times, no doubt).
Thanks for the heads-up on this; I'll seek it out!

Meantime, last night I tried to explain to Time's online arts & entertainment editor how Narada and Luther killed R&B in the '80s.  She wasn't buying my premise.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 26, 2008, 11:09:57 AM »
Oh. My. GAWD. Best "Classic Soul Train" EVAH!  A 1974 ep featuring George McCrae, Rufus/Chaka and Billy Preston!!  '70s soul heaven.  Mr McCrae doing "Rock Your Baby" as I write this, wearing a black, studded ensemble that would make any leatherman jealous.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 26, 2008, 11:45:03 AM »
Oh. My. GAWD. Best "Classic Soul Train" EVAH!  A 1974 ep featuring George McCrae, Rufus/Chaka and Billy Preston!!  '70s soul heaven.  Mr McCrae doing "Rock Your Baby" as I write this, wearing a black, studded ensemble that would make any leatherman jealous.

A 21-year-old, bare-midriffed Chaka doing 2 numbers: "Tell Me Something Good" and "You Got The Love".  Lawd!  And of course Mr Preston sporting the biggest 'fro in history.  A wonderful hour of funky flashbacks.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 26, 2008, 10:09:13 PM »

A 21-year-old, bare-midriffed Chaka doing 2 numbers: "Tell Me Something Good" and "You Got The Love".  Lawd!  And of course Mr Preston sporting the biggest 'fro in history.  A wonderful hour of funky flashbacks.

BTW, I *loved* the Rufus/Chaka song in this week's AT40 countdown.  Guess it's time I seek out a comp?  Once you get started ...
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 27, 2008, 03:28:35 PM »
BTW, I *loved* the Rufus/Chaka song in this week's AT40 countdown.  Guess it's time I seek out a comp?  Once you get started ...

forget the comp. just buy all five albums.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 03, 2008, 11:16:37 AM »
A Classic Soul Train from '82: Taste of Honey doing their lovely, underappreciated cover of Smokey's "I'll Try Something New". Yet to come: Jeffrey Osbourne, presumably singing "On the Wings of Love".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 03, 2008, 11:33:33 AM »
A Classic Soul Train from '82: Taste of Honey doing their lovely, underappreciated cover of Smokey's "I'll Try Something New". Yet to come: Jeffrey Osbourne, presumably singing "On the Wings of Love".

even better: Mr Osbourne sings his first solo single, "I Really Don't Need No Light (To See Thru You)".  But -- lawd! -- the mid-show '70s flashback is a clip of a young Al Green from '72 singing "Let's Stay Together". Sexy sexy sexy!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 10, 2008, 11:06:50 AM »
The most-recent Classic Soul Train yet: a late-'87 outing with Freddie Jackson, Lace (OHWs, and one of the glut of female trios at the time), and Whodini.

One of the dancers is actually wearing a Max Headroom facemask!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 11:09:18 AM by RGMike »