Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 229237 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #300 on: February 23, 2008, 11:38:59 AM »
Classic Soul Train: Don Cornelius interviews Jacques "Village People" Morali (in fractured, French-accented English), who is promoting Can't Stop The Music! Good luck with that, Jacques. And now it's his other creation, The Ritchie Family (I'd forgotten he did them too), with their flop from the film, "Put Your Feet to the Beat". 

OMFG! as if Jacques Morali weren't enuf, this is the Soul Train ep where Captain & Tennille do "Do That To Me One More Time"! And Toni looks Fab. Yoo. LUSS.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 23, 2008, 05:34:08 PM »
Talk about your Must-See TV: VH1 Classic is running a BBC docu series called Soul Deep: The History of Black Popular Music and damn is it good. Just caught 2 eps, one about Southern Soul (Stax, Otis, Aretha) and another called "Ain't it Funky", about JB, Sly, and the post-'68 "social comment" Motown stuff of Norman Whitfield & Co.  Amazing vintage performance and interview clips I've never seen before. HIGHLY recommended!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 01, 2008, 11:22:09 AM »
a classic Soul Train from late '77: Sister Sledge, pre-Chic, doing a flop ballad called "Baby It's the Rain", new to me.  And the ST Dancers are groovin' to Tavares's version of "More Than a Woman".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 01, 2008, 11:35:41 AM »
a classic Soul Train from late '77: Sister Sledge, pre-Chic, doing a flop ballad called "Baby It's the Rain", new to me.  And the ST Dancers are groovin' to Tavares's version of "More Than a Woman".

funkier still: Brick doing their "Dazz" follow-up "Dusic" and the even-better low-charter, "Ain't Gonna Hurt Nobody".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 01, 2008, 11:45:37 AM »

funkier still: Brick doing their "Dazz" follow-up "Dusic" and the even-better low-charter, "Ain't Gonna Hurt Nobody".

OMFG! just 10 mins after the ST dancers did a slow number to Stevie's "As", here's Sister Sledge doing a cover of same. "until the day that 8 times 8 times 8 is 4..."

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #305 on: March 01, 2008, 08:32:10 PM »
just kina stumbled onto another PBS music fund raiser I thought I'd seen, but it turns out to be new to me.  60's oddities, like the guy who sang "Green Tambourine", the guy who sang "Kind of a Drag", and Mark Stein from Vanilla Fudge doing "You Keep Me Hanging On."  Silly and simoultaneously interesting.  Now Iron Butterfly doing "Inna Gadda da Vida"
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 01, 2008, 10:01:13 PM »
just kina stumbled onto another PBS music fund raiser I thought I'd seen, but it turns out to be new to me.  60's oddities, like the guy who sang "Green Tambourine", the guy who sang "Kind of a Drag", and Mark Stein from Vanilla Fudge doing "You Keep Me Hanging On."  Silly and simoultaneously interesting.  Now Iron Butterfly doing "Inna Gadda da Vida"

caught a bit of that earlier, between periods of the Sharks game; saw Sonny Geraci doing "Time Won't Let Me", apparently without the rest of the Outsiders. He looked pretty good -- I'm assuming he's gotta be 60ish.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 07, 2008, 09:37:59 PM »
Duet of the Week: John Legend, appearing on The Colbert Report to flog his support for Obama, has a mock argument with Stephen about who loves America more. Cut to commercial, after which they return and sing "The Girl is Mine"! (the "girl" being the Statue of Liberty). Oh that dogggone Colbert!

(I'm assuming it's on the Comedy Central website; YouTube isn't allowed to post CC stuff.)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 08, 2008, 11:22:15 AM »
A very interesting Classic Soul Train from late-'75: Betty Wright doing the new-to-me "Slip And Do it" -- a dandy "he gives you his money but he gives me his lovin'" number that I can't believe wasn't a hit.

And now the dancers are groovin' to one of George McCrae's many "Rock Your Baby"-soundalike follow-ups, "Honey I".  With the wicked Wilson Pickett yet to come!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 08, 2008, 11:39:50 AM »
With the wicked Wilson Pickett yet to come!

and here he is -- with another non-hit, "The Best Part of a Man (is His Woman)", his first single on the ill-fated Wicked Records, his short-lived custom label.

followed by the ST Dancers cuttin' a rug to a minor but enjoyable Spinners hit, "Love or Leave".
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 11:43:16 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 08, 2008, 09:54:31 PM »
wow, right now on KQED: Clash Live!, a 90-minute compilation of concert clips.  Great stuff, and a nice companion piece to the recent Joe Strummer documentary. I'm sure various PBS stations will be repeating this in weeks to come.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 19, 2008, 08:57:28 PM »
a couple weeks after duetting with Obama supporter John Legend, Stephen Colbert welcomes... Carole King! She plugs her support of Hillary and does "I Feel The Earth Move", 'cause apparently they're re-releasing yet another version of Tapestry with more bonus tracks.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 22, 2008, 11:33:20 AM »
A Fall 1980 Classic Soul Train features a too-old-to-be-bare-chested Tyrone Davis doing a cover of "How Sweet it Is", with Teena Marie comin' up.

But first the dancers are groovin' to Diana's "I'm Comin' Out"! One of Don Cornelius' "closet classics", I hear. ;)

And now here's Lady T., doing "I Need Your Lovin" -- and that's the bottom line!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 01, 2008, 09:21:16 PM »
Dunno if they get American Idol in Spain, but the princesss should know that Dolly was the "guest coach" tonite. I shudder to think which contestant got to sing "I Will Always Love You".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 03, 2008, 08:53:36 PM »
Newly-minted Peabody Award Winner Stephen Colbert (no joke!) welcomes REM, and after an hilarious interview, the band performs "SupercalifragilisticSuperserious". Super Duper!