Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 226925 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #285 on: December 08, 2007, 06:16:34 PM »
Hey Rod -- KPIG just played a very cool cover of Patty Loveless' "Nothing But the Wheel", which turned out to be Peter Wolf (with Jagger on backing vox). New to me; no idea where that's from or how old it is.

It's on Wolf's album Sleepless, from around 2000.  I have the cd around here somewhere, and have already added to my iPod.  The entire cd is very nice.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 08, 2007, 06:39:34 PM »
Not sure if this is old hat, but I'm really diggin' Eric Clapton Crossroads Festival on KTEH right now.  Fundraiser of course.  Dig the set list:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/crossroads2/songlist.html

Prior to showing that tonite, KQED is showing a "Dylan at Newport '63/'64/'65" special that's pretty amazing, especially since I saw I'm Not There recently and (TANC) just heard Joan Baez doing "Diamonds & Rust" on the Casey Kasem Klassic this morning.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: Summer of Love music
« Reply #287 on: December 09, 2007, 08:38:23 PM »
on cable 13, they're showing this summer's concert in the park.  Lester Chambers right now doing "Time Has Come Today."  My memory is that Joe sang it!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Summer of Love music
« Reply #288 on: December 09, 2007, 09:12:28 PM »
on cable 13, they're showing this summer's concert in the park.  Lester Chambers right now doing "Time Has Come Today."  My memory is that Joe sang it!

Your memory's not failing you.  Lester was the guitarist, but sings the song when he's performing solo.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 18, 2007, 08:21:17 PM »
Joe Jackson's "We Can't Live Together (but we can't stay apart)" was used on FSN to open the Sharks game tonite, with Ducks/Sharks footage.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 23, 2007, 08:45:29 PM »
OMFG! for the second year, Channel 32 KMTP is showing "Scrooge's Rockin' Xmas", the Worst. Holiday. Special. EVAH.  3DN, Paul Revere & the Raiders, America, Merilee Rush and others singing holiday tunes while Scrooge (the late Jack Elam) watches them thru a crystal ball. Non-existent production values -- it looks like somebody's community college class project. The true meaning of "camp". Oh how I wish Gaz could see this...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 23, 2007, 09:06:29 PM »
OMFG! for the second year, Channel 32 KMTP is showing "Scrooge's Rockin' Xmas", the Worst. Holiday. Special. EVAH.  3DN, Paul Revere & the Raiders, America, Merilee Rush and others singing holiday tunes while Scrooge (the late Jack Elam) watches them thru a crystal ball. Non-existent production values -- it looks like somebody's community college class project. The true meaning of "camp". Oh how I wish Gaz could see this...

And -- how could I have forgotten -- Bobby Goldsboro, wearing what looks like Tony Orlando's hair and 'stache!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 05, 2008, 11:54:50 AM »
A fabulous episode of "classic Soul Train" this morning, from late '78 -- the height of disco, with Gloria Gaynor performing "I Will Survive", Gino Vanelli (looking like Neil Diamond's long-lost brother) doing "I Just Wanna Stop" & "Wheels of LIfe", and the dancers groovin' to "Haven't Stopped Dancin' Yet", "Keep on Dancin'", and "Aqua-Boogie". Quite the flashback.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 27, 2008, 05:13:48 PM »
Performing at -- of all things -- the NHL All-Star Game, The Hives, doing "Tick... Tick... Boom", which now qualifies as one of the most overexposed songs of the decade.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 03, 2008, 05:23:42 PM »
Let me be the first to say that Petty & Co were workmanlike and... dull. Most pedestrian video effects ever. Is my memory playing tricks on me, or did Prince play significantly longer last year than the 12 mins Petty was alotted?  Prince remains the SB Halftime champ IMHO.

Oh and Haddaway's very annoying "What is Love?" was used in a very annoying commercial. Commercials underwhelming so far.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 04, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
Let me be the first to say that Petty & Co were workmanlike and... dull. Most pedestrian video effects ever. Is my memory playing tricks on me, or did Prince play significantly longer last year than the 12 mins Petty was alotted?  Prince remains the SB Halftime champ IMHO.

Oh and Haddaway's very annoying "What is Love?" was used in a very annoying commercial. Commercials underwhelming so far.

It is what it is.  Tom's never had what you might call "wow" factor.  Probably not the best venue for the Heartbreakers, but I enjoyed it.  The need to keep the songs short also inhibited the bands forte -- building songs up and bringing them on home.  Springsteen would have similar issues (though he's more high energy -- Tom's laid back).
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 09, 2008, 11:55:48 AM »
On this week's classic "Soul Train": the Spinners, circa early-1980, doing "Working My Way Back to You". Also on the show: Vallejo's own ConFunkShun, who (TANC) were also on Kasey's Klassic Kountdown today.

And this blew my mind: Don Cornelius promoted the following week's show, which was to feature... The Captain & Tenille (!) doing "Do that To Me One More Time" (!!). I checked to see if they ever charted R&B, and that song was their only soul-chart single, peaking at #58. Nice try, Casablanca.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 16, 2008, 11:14:08 AM »
Another Saturday, another Classic Soul Train: this week it's late '78, featuring Stargard, wearing the most outre costumes this side of Parliament/Funkadelic, and a rather more conservatively-dressed Peabo Bryson.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 17, 2008, 08:55:02 PM »
Tonite's Simpsons featured parodies of Bonnie & Clyde, Lady & the Tramp and (best of all) Sid & Nancy, with Nelson as Sid, Lisa as Nancy and Bart as Johnny Rotten. "You gobbed up our gig, you git!"  Who knew CBGB stood for "Comic Book Guy's Bar"? 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 23, 2008, 11:18:50 AM »
Classic Soul Train: Don Cornelius interviews Jacques "Village People" Morali (in fractured, French-accented English), who is promoting Can't Stop The Music! Good luck with that, Jacques. And now it's his other creation, The Ritchie Family (I'd forgotten he did them too), with their flop from the film, "Put Your Feet to the Beat".