Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 226914 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Music on TV
« on: October 08, 2005, 10:37:30 PM »
not sure I'd seen this thread.  If you know where it is, let me know and I'll repost.

I'm watching America on Soundstage tonight, KTEH, and it's pretty odd.  I had forgotten they had formed in the UK, as sons of military men, and they all look quite Aryan.  But I like the music, even though sometimes it seems so cute and precious I want to strangle it!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 12:03:26 PM »
Last night I stumbled across a great documentary on George Clinton and the P-Funk juggernaut on channel 9, on a program called Independent Lens. Was pretty cool and they had some great archival footage of P-Funk shows through the years, including the Mothership and one clip of George onstage wearing a bedsheet with nada underneath (they censored little George tho, natch). Some cool interview stuff with various members from throughout the years and those who've followed in their footsteps--Ice Cube, Digital Underground, De La Soul, lots more. Hope they rebroadcast it--I didn't have a chance to pop a tape in (yet another reason to get a TiVo).
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 10:19:10 PM »
Dolly Parton performing on Conan O'Brien's show in minutes.  She was charming in the pre-song interview.  Couldn't remember all her duet partners on her new album, which seemed weird.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 10:28:47 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Last night I stumbled across a great documentary...

"stumbling" is what we'll all be doing more of from now on -- have you seen the dreadful new incarnation of TV Guide? Rupert Murdoch strikes again. No more local listings! It's now a piece of crap that will go directly from the mailbox to the recycle bin. Sorry I re-upped a few months back; had I known I wouldn't've renewed.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Dolly
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 09:26:19 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Dolly Parton performing on Conan O'Brien's show in minutes.  She was charming in the pre-song interview.  Couldn't remember all her duet partners on her new album, which seemed weird.

I just got her new CD, which features a lot of the original artists sitting in with her on some great old songs.  Mary Hopkin, Cat Stevens, Kris Kristofferson, Judy Collins, and so on.  It's not really duets, but a nice touch anyway.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 12:05:53 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

"stumbling" is what we'll all be doing more of from now on -- have you seen the dreadful new incarnation of TV Guide? Rupert Murdoch strikes again. No more local listings! It's now a piece of crap that will go directly from the mailbox to the recycle bin. Sorry I re-upped a few months back; had I known I wouldn't've renewed.

Gee, y'know that might actually cost them MONEY to print local editions, even tho they've been doing it for, I dunno, 50 YEARS or so? I'm sure subscribers will bail in droves. More proof that Rupert Murdoch is a tool of the devil.

Another reason to buy the Sunday paper, even tho the Chron's weekly TV sched is pretty lame--minimal daytime coverage, no late night listings, not even all basic cable channels are included, and so on and so on. But at least you get the local stations.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
tvguide.com
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 12:51:33 PM »
Gee, y'know that might actually cost them MONEY to print local editions, even tho they've been doing it for, I dunno, 50 YEARS or so? I'm sure subscribers will bail in droves. More proof that Rupert Murdoch is a tool of the devil.

Another reason to buy the Sunday paper, even tho the Chron's weekly TV sched is pretty lame--minimal daytime coverage, no late night listings, not even all basic cable channels are included, and so on and so on. But at least you get the local stations.

I agree with your assessment of Rupert Murdoch, but for me, I use the tvguide.com/listings  link.  Once setup, it's quicker to find what's on TV (if you have that laptop in the living room!) than to open the paper.  Plus there's more detail about the episodes.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: tvguide.com
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 03:52:30 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"

I agree with your assessment of Rupert Murdoch, but for me, I use the tvguide.com/listings  link.  Once setup, it's quicker to find what's on TV (if you have that laptop in the living room!) than to open the paper.  Plus there's more detail about the episodes.

I should have added that paper TV schedules are probably going to be phased out in a number of years anyway, as most satellite or cable boxes, DVRs and also HDTVs are packaged with an electronic program guide that will show upcoming programming on-screen. One of these is provided by none other than TV Guide, although it's not the most functional of utilities, from what I've read.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6029_7-6302301-1.html?tag=txt
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Ringo on Soundstage
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 10:36:36 PM »
I'm kind of enjoying this, in a drunken English Music Hall sort of way.

Photograph...sweet.  Who's in the band?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 08:29:33 PM »

This just in: Dolly's on the Daily Show tonite at 11.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Dolly!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 10:16:23 PM »
This just in: Dolly's on the Daily Show tonite at 11.

Even though it's past my bedtime, I look forward to this!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 11:22:05 PM »
whoa Dolly! Leather mama. Gorgeous red jacket and slender black pants.
Good sense of humor. Dolly Does Dylan. heh heh
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 11:39:43 PM »

HAD to make one final, insignificant post. Couldn't go to bed at 999...
say goodnight Polly.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 1,000
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2005, 07:41:10 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

say goodnight Polly.

Goodnight Polly!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 1,000
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2005, 08:11:11 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

say goodnight Polly.

Huzzah!!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”