Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 226964 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #825 on: March 02, 2013, 09:35:46 PM »
The latest PBS pledge-month boomer-fest on KQED right now, revolves around the classic TV show "Hullabaloo". Most of the clips are in B&W; apparently NBC destroyed most of the original color tapes. Oops.  Some great stuff, though.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: May 28, 2013, 03:53:56 PM »
Last nite Mad Men unearthed the orig charted version of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUi41ZktaY

Kudos to them -- the show has been on a roll the past few weeks in terms of closing-credot music (last week it was the Ms & Ps, "Words of Love")
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: June 03, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »
Anyone here watching Game Of Thrones?  I'm not, because I quit HBO after my cable bill skyrocketed, but I've read the books multiple times, and last night's episode was the one I was waiting for (no spoilers).  The reaction on the web has been everything I hoped for.  Hee hee.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: November 06, 2013, 05:59:38 PM »
For those (like me) who missed the Hendrix documentary on PBS last night, it's available here:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/episodes/jimi-hendrix/film-jimi-hendrix-hear-my-train-a-comin/2756/

Interesting that the doc seems to be sponsored by Goldman Sachs (online anyway) because when I think Hendrix, Goldman is not the first thing that comes to mind. Although you could say that Goldman are the Jimi Hendrix of financial thievery.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 06:04:12 PM by Here'sToYa! »
Slipping into something
And out of something else

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: November 07, 2013, 09:27:39 PM »
For those (like me) who missed the Hendrix documentary on PBS last night, it's available here:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/episodes/jimi-hendrix/film-jimi-hendrix-hear-my-train-a-comin/2756/

Interesting that the doc seems to be sponsored by Goldman Sachs (online anyway) because when I think Hendrix, Goldman is not the first thing that comes to mind. Although you could say that Goldman are the Jimi Hendrix of financial thievery.

I apologize.  I thought about posting a note but didn't.  Like most PBS programs, it will very likely
air again in months ahead, perhaps even over the winter holidays.  If I see it again I'll mention it.

American Masters:
http://www.kqed.org/programs/program-landing.jsp?progID=136
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: February 03, 2014, 11:07:03 PM »
Anybody watch Austin City Limits on PBS these days?

Everything old is new again... ACL has been featuring a lot of "Americana," which I guess is
shorter way of saying "we didn't know enough people to start a whole bluegrass group."

Americana or not, a lot of the contemporary stuff I hear on the show doesn't really impress me.
Not that it's bad, per se, but it's not something new and interesting, nor does it compare in
musical excellence to the best from the past.

One big exception is Sarah Jarosz.  She recently made her second appearance on ACL and
I was not disappointed.  I really enjoy her material and she, as well as her bandmates, seem
to be excellent musicians.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #831 on: February 04, 2014, 10:11:18 AM »
Anybody watch Austin City Limits on PBS these days?

Everything old is new again... ACL has been featuring a lot of "Americana," which I guess is
shorter way of saying "we didn't know enough people to start a whole bluegrass group."

Americana or not, a lot of the contemporary stuff I hear on the show doesn't really impress me.
Not that it's bad, per se, but it's not something new and interesting, nor does it compare in
musical excellence to the best from the past.

One big exception is Sarah Jarosz.  She recently made her second appearance on ACL and
I was not disappointed.  I really enjoy her material and she, as well as her bandmates, seem
to be excellent musicians.

I really liked the Milk Carton Kids that followed her
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: November 30, 2015, 10:39:21 PM »
Rolling Stones from the Vault - The Marquee - Live in 1971

Duration: 57:49 STEREO TVPG

This program was originally filmed for US TV. The band performed the gig a few months before the release of their album "Sticky Fingers" and used the show to preview nearly half the album, including "Brown Sugar," "Dead Flowers" and "Bitch." It also served as the first and only time the group played "I Got the Blues" live until dusting it off a handful of times for concerts in 1999. For the rest of the 8-song set, the band played 2 songs from its then-most recent release, Let It Bleed ("Live With Me" and "Midnight Rambler"), "Satisfaction" and a cover of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

The gig also marked the last time the band would play the UK for more than 2 years, with its members going into tax exile shortly thereafter. Musicians Bobby Keys (sax), Nicky Hopkins (keyboards) and Ian Stewart (piano) join the Stones for this fabulous time capsule of rock classics.

Upcoming Broadcasts:

KQED Life: Mon, Nov 30, 2015 -- 11:00pm
KQED 9: Mon, Nov 30, 2015 -- 11:00pm
KQED Life: Tue, Dec 1, 2015 -- 5:00am
KQED 9: Tue, Dec 1, 2015 -- 5:00am
KQED Life: Sat, Dec 5, 2015 -- 9:00pm
KQED 9: Sat, Dec 5, 2015 -- 9:00pm
KQED Life: Sun, Dec 6, 2015 -- 3:00am
KQED 9: Sun, Dec 6, 2015 -- 3:00am

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 02, 2015, 10:51:27 PM »
And we're well on our way to re-living the sixties, fifty years later...  I'm reasonably
certain this will be punctuated by pledge breaks.

Alice's Restaurant 50th Anniversary Concert

Duration: 1:27:31 STEREO TVG

It was 50 years ago, in 1965, when Arlo Guthrie took out the trash following a Thanksgiving
dinner that "couldn't be beat". It started a chain of events including Arlo's arrest for littering,
court appearance, and rejection from military service depicted in his hilarious and iconic song,
Alice's Restaurant. The song (an 18 minute musical monologue) went platinum, spawned a full
length motion picture, and became an American tradition ubiquitously played on hundreds of
radio stations at Thanksgiving.

In this program, Arlo deftly performs the song for the first time in over a decade and receives
a standing ovation from his delighted fans. He also plays other material from the early part
of his career, his hits and two new arrangements of previously unreleased lyrics by his father,
the legendary folk singer Woody Guthrie. It's a heartfelt evening that examines Arlo's life
through his music, which is interlaced with remarkable and often humorous stories.

Upcoming Broadcasts:

KQED Life: Sat, Dec 5, 2015 -- 10:00pm
KQED 9: Sat, Dec 5, 2015 -- 10:00pm
KQED Life: Sun, Dec 6, 2015 -- 4:00am
KQED 9: Sun, Dec 6, 2015 -- 4:00am

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: May 03, 2016, 09:57:00 AM »
American Masters:  Janis Joplin

Episode #2706 Duration: 1:56:40 STEREO TV14-L (Secondary audio: none)

Observe Janis Joplin's life through intimate letters and rare footage in the first in-depth celebration of the
iconic rock singer.  Director Amy Berg presents a portrait of a complicated, driven, often beleaguered artist.
Chan Marshall narrates.

Upcoming Broadcasts:

KQED 9: Tue, May 3, 2016 -- 8:00pm
KQED 9: Wed, May 4, 2016 -- 2:00am
KQED Life: Wed, May 4, 2016 -- 8:00pm
KQED Life: Thu, May 5, 2016 -- 2:00am
KQED World: Sat, May 7, 2016 -- 9:00pm
KQED World: Sat, May 14, 2016 -- 6:00am

Janis Joplin: San Francisco's Pearl

Duration: 26:31 STEREO

Follow Janis Joplin's career from her rise to fame at the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival to her untimely death
in Los Angeles in 1970.  Narrated by Jefferson Airplane's Marty Balin and featuring interviews with former
bandmates and Bay Area journalists and performers.

Upcoming Broadcasts:

KQED 9: Tue, May 3, 2016 -- 10:00pm
KQED 9: Wed, May 4, 2016 -- 4:00am
KQED 9: Sat, May 7, 2016 -- 7:30pm
KQED 9: Sun, May 8, 2016 -- 1:30am
KQED Plus: Sun, May 15, 2016 -- 3:30pm
KQED Life: Sat, May 28, 2016 -- 6:00pm
KQED 9: Sat, May 28, 2016 -- 6:00pm
KQED Life: Sun, May 29, 2016 -- 12:00am
KQED 9: Sun, May 29, 2016 -- 12:00am
KQED Life: Wed, Jun 1, 2016 -- 9:30pm
KQED Life: Thu, Jun 2, 2016 -- 3:30am

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: May 08, 2016, 01:50:57 PM »
American Masters:  Janis Joplin

Episode #2706 Duration: 1:56:40 STEREO TV14-L (Secondary audio: none)

Observe Janis Joplin's life through intimate letters and rare footage in the first in-depth celebration of the
iconic rock singer.  Director Amy Berg presents a portrait of a complicated, driven, often beleaguered artist.
Chan Marshall narrates.
We saw these, and it just reinforces the feeling that Janis was one of a kind.  I miss her very much.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: November 14, 2016, 11:19:21 PM »
If the remaining episodes are as good as the first, this series will be well worth watching -- load
up your DVR.  Weeknights at 10pm on KQED; re-run at 4am; a Thanksgiving Day marathon on
KQED Plus (née KTEH).  Follow the link for the full schedule.

Soundbreaking

Get an in-depth look at the art of music recording and how it has evolved.  The last project of Beatles producer Sir George Martin, the programs feature more than 150 exclusive and original interviews.

The Recording Artist (#101) Duration: 56:46 STEREO TVPG-L (Secondary audio: none)

Explore the role of the music producer tasked with turning an artist's vision into a hit and view the contrasting styles of some of the most accomplished producers. Featuring George Martin, Sam Phillips, Tom Petty, Dr. Dre and more.

Painting with Sound (#102) Duration: 56:46 STEREO TVPG (Secondary audio: none)

Learn how the recording studio itself became an instrument. From the advent of magnetic tape, chart the evolution of multi-track recording and the ingenuity of artists such as the Beatles, Beach Boys, Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac.

The Human Instrument (#103) Duration: 56:46 STEREO TVPG-L (Secondary audio: none)

Celebrate the most essential part of a song and the most challenging to capture--the vocal track. Consider the ineffable emotional quality that makes a vocal track truly great; with Adele, Amy Winehouse and Christina Aguilera.

Going Electric (#104) Duration: 56:46 STEREO TVPG (Secondary audio: none)

From the electric guitar to synthesized music, learn how innovators used electricity to unleash new sounds. Evaluate the power of technology to continuously redefine music, from Delta blues to the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Wonder and Devo.

Four on the Floor (#105) Duration: 56:46 STEREO TVPG (Secondary audio: none)

Chart the progression of the beat from drum and bass to beat box and beyond - from Little Richard and James Brown to disco with the Bee Gees, EDM and Beyonce. Witness the endless experimentation that transformed the bedrock of all music.

The World Is Yours (#106) Duration: 56:46 STEREO TVPG-L (Secondary audio: none)

Meet the pioneers of hip hop and explore how sampling - the practice of borrowing fragments from existing records-created a new genre of music that took over the world; including Public Enemy, Run DMC, the Beastie Boys, Beck and more.

Sound and Vision (#107) Duration: 56:46 STEREO TVPG (Secondary audio: none)

Trace the rise of MTV and see how music videos transformed our experience of music - from David Bowie, Devo and Madonna to the Eurythmics and Nirvana. Learn how a marketing tool became an art form and a powerful mediator between artist and audience.

I Am My Music (#108) Duration: 56:46 STEREO TVPG-14 (Secondary audio: none)

From LPs to cassette tapes, CDs and MP3s, discover how listening formats determine how and where we listen, and also the ways we collect, store and share the music we love; featuring Frank Sinatra, Marvin Gaye, Bob Dylan and the Grateful Dead.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: November 15, 2016, 11:32:46 AM »
If the remaining episodes are as good as the first, this series will be well worth watching -- load
up your DVR. 

Thanks Dischead.  I just set my dvr!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: November 21, 2016, 10:23:12 PM »
up your DVR. 

We've been watching it every night (or at least every night after we've DVR'ed it!) and it's been really good.  As someone who is somewhat knowledgeable about some of this, I find it very real and believable, but it also takes me outside of my comfortable little box, and updates me on things too.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: November 25, 2016, 05:32:10 PM »
up your DVR. 

We've been watching it every night (or at least every night after we've DVR'ed it!) and it's been really good.  As someone who is somewhat knowledgeable about some of this, I find it very real and believable, but it also takes me outside of my comfortable little box, and updates me on things too.

That was fun - watched the whole thing today, back to back, 9 to 5. 
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing