Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 227044 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #750 on: June 12, 2011, 10:46:46 PM »
Just when you thought the Tonys couldn't get any gayer: Martha Wash struts out to sing "It's Raining Men"! Hallelujah!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 18, 2011, 09:05:02 PM »
KRCB showing a rerun of "Austin City Limits" from 2008 with Miss Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings. Lawd have mercy.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: June 21, 2011, 03:37:30 PM »
the ubiquitous Florence & the Machine are on Colbert tonite -- just in time for the first "dog day" of summer, heh.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 24, 2011, 08:02:53 PM »
So I just saw Jack White's musical project The Black Belles, on Colbert. Is it me, or is this a PAINFULLY obvious gimmick? I'm not debating whether they have talent or not, but jeez, the goth makeup, the hair, the outfits... at least the MaryJane Girls and Vanity 6 had cleavage.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 17, 2011, 12:11:05 PM »
I realize this is an online show, but posting it in this thread.
Enjoy Booker T Jones with Daryl Hall:
http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/currentep.html?ep_id=59

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 18, 2011, 10:14:39 AM »
I realize this is an online show, but posting it in this thread.
Enjoy Booker T Jones with Daryl Hall:
http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/currentep.html?ep_id=59

The DJ on 1340 The Boardwalk was just singing the praises of this episode, particularly their version of "I Never Found a Girl (to Love Me Like You Do)".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 29, 2011, 09:59:14 PM »
Just when you thought PBS had run out of artists to do pledge-month clip-shows about... KCSM is showing their latest, a Jim Croce compilation. Sure to been seen many more times in the next month. Some nice vintage clips from back in his too-brief heyday.

Highlight: "Lover's Cross", one of my favorite songs of his. Melanie did a lovely cover of it the year after his death that should've been a big hit.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 10:09:35 PM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 29, 2011, 10:11:29 PM »
Just when you thought PBS had run out of artists to do pledge-month clip-shows about... KCSM is showing their latest, a Jim Croce compilation. Sure to been seen many more times in the next month. Some nice vintage clips from back in his too-brief heyday.

Highlight: "Lover's Cross", one of my favorite songs of his. Melanie did a lovely cover of it the year after his death that should've been a big hit.

I've seen this, I think.  The interview his wife in there.  (Btw, she owns a restaurant in San Diego named Croce's:  http://www.croces.com/ingrid/)
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 29, 2011, 10:19:13 PM »

I've seen this, I think.  The interview his wife in there.  (Btw, she owns a restaurant in San Diego named Croce's:  http://www.croces.com/ingrid/)

She comes across nicely in the interview clips -- I'd heard bad things about her (a friend of mine knew Cashman & West, who produced some of his stuff, and they feuded with her over song rights).   Here's the Melanie version of "Lover's Cross":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckxgGHqm8m0

SFGuy

« Reply #759 on: July 31, 2011, 09:35:51 PM »
Those with VH1 Classic. They are showing the 1st ever hour of MTV (commercials and technical difficulties included). It will be repeated at 5 AM, 10 AM and 6 PM.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: August 01, 2011, 07:35:43 AM »
Those with VH1 Classic. They are showing the 1st ever hour of MTV (commercials and technical difficulties included). It will be repeated at 5 AM, 10 AM and 6 PM.

You're back -- we've wondered why you haven't posted lately; we're curious what you (as one of our younger members) think of the changes at KFOG.

SFGuy

« Reply #761 on: August 01, 2011, 11:20:50 PM »

You're back -- we've wondered why you haven't posted lately; we're curious what you (as one of our younger members) think of the changes at KFOG.

I've been around lurking. I just had nothing to post about. And if you consider someone who is close to his mid-40s a younger member sure. I haven't really listened to KFOG a lot (been listening to KUFX "KFOX") so I don't notice a huge change. What I have been listening to is fine.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: August 02, 2011, 07:38:43 AM »

I've been around lurking. I just had nothing to post about. And if you consider someone who is close to his mid-40s a younger member sure. I haven't really listened to KFOG a lot (been listening to KUFX "KFOX") so I don't notice a huge change. What I have been listening to is fine.

and here we were thinking you were, like, 32!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: August 02, 2011, 12:58:43 PM »
I recently watched "Dazed and Confused:  The Led Zeppelin Story" on Biography.  In many ways it was better than their earlier attempt at LZ doc -- better interviews (with real band members/staff).  But obviously they had trouble getting rights to Zep music, so some of the time the soundtrack was ersatz Zeppelin riffs that sounded a lot more like Black Sabbath than Zep.  Worst of all was when they showed a concert clip and backed it with audio from ... Pink Floyd!  Real Pink Floyd, from Wish You Were Here.  Just pathetic.

and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #764 on: August 03, 2011, 10:00:21 PM »
I've probably seen it before, but still digging the 1997 concert by the Bee Gees on KQED.

http://www.kqed.org/tv/programs/index.jsp?pgmid=8309
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!