Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 227027 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #705 on: February 07, 2011, 09:01:51 AM »
interesting analysis of the "hip-hop SuperBowl" from the grey lady:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/07/sports/football/07halftime-super-bowl-black-eyed-peas.html?_r=1&hp

Meanwhile, "twilight's last REAMING", eh Christina? Then that really *was* the gayest National Anthem at the Super Bowl since Cher sang it in 1999!

more:  some funny reactions from around the Twitter-verse...

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/the-twitterverse-responds-to-the-black-eyed-peas-halftime-show/
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: February 08, 2011, 03:04:20 PM »
In addition to Mick Jagger, la Streisand is also performing on the Grammys this Sun. And they're doing a salute to Aretha with Jennifer Hudson and (yes) Christina Aguilera -- hope she remembers how to spell R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 13, 2011, 07:29:10 PM »
In addition to Mick Jagger, la Streisand is also performing on the Grammys this Sun. And they're doing a salute to Aretha with Jennifer Hudson and (yes) Christina Aguilera -- hope she remembers how to spell R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Enjoying the Grammy snark on Facebook -- us West Coasters have to wait for 8:00 to see the actual show. (why don't they broadcsat 'em live out here, like the Oscars of the Golden Globes?) Cee-Lo and the Muppets appear at apx 9:45, BTW.

And Lady Antebellum won Song of the Year for "Need You Now" -- does that mean Alan Parsons gets a Grammy?

ETA: Who the fuck is Esperanza Spaulding?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:32:15 PM by RGMike »

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 13, 2011, 10:25:54 PM »

She's one bad cat! Surprised you hadn't heard of her yet.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 13, 2011, 11:09:02 PM »

And apparently, she was raised in Portland. One more kudo for Stumptown.  (To be honest, I hadn't heard of her either.)
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 13, 2011, 11:32:31 PM »
I read that Hey, Soul Sister (Live) won a grammy for best pop song by group or duo w vocals.

So the song MUST be good, you guys.  Maybe now you'll see the light.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 14, 2011, 07:52:12 AM »
I read that Hey, Soul Sister (Live) won a grammy for best pop song by group or duo w vocals.

So the song MUST be good, you guys.  Maybe now you'll see the light.

::)

I'm guessing the orig studio version missed the cutoff -- how else to explain a song that huge not being nommed for Record of the Year etc.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 14, 2011, 07:55:20 AM »

babe, this is America. People here don't know from obscure jazz artists (apparently she's the first jazz person ever to win "Best New Artist"?)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 09:54:48 AM by RGMike »

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 14, 2011, 09:49:21 AM »
And apparently, she was raised in Portland. One more kudo for Stumptown  (To be honest, I hadn't heard of her either.)
Here she is performing on Letterman 3 weeks ago, I happened to be watching then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Latnl1iMnnA

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 14, 2011, 11:10:56 AM »
Most amusing moment for me, Grammy-wise was AL gushing about Muse on FB... when KFOG doesn't actuallly, y'know, play them.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 14, 2011, 02:03:12 PM »
Most amusing moment for me, Grammy-wise was AL gushing about Muse on FB... when KFOG doesn't actuallly, y'know, play them.
THIS may have been the most amusing Grammy moment (knowing that she's supposedly alright now); an L.A. TV news reporter last night at the Grammys got tongue-tied on-air, rambled incoherently. Article includes video clip:
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2011/02/la-reporter-serene-branson-feeling-fine-after-on-air-problem/1

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 14, 2011, 03:38:16 PM »
THIS may have been the most amusing Grammy moment (knowing that she's supposedly alright now); an L.A. TV news reporter last night at the Grammys got tongue-tied on-air, rambled incoherently. Article includes video clip:
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2011/02/la-reporter-serene-branson-feeling-fine-after-on-air-problem/1

I saw this on your FB page.  It's weird how she's rambling on, like maybe she's verbally drunk but still has complete motor control.  The paramedics checked her vitals last night and she got a ride home that night from a friend, but I see she was admitted to a hospital today. No word on whether they found anything amiss.  Hope she's ok.

“I am a little surprised (they didn't admit her last night),” Dr. John Krakauer, associate professor of neurology and neuroscience at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore, told CBS News. “Frankly, I would have admitted her.”

Dr. Krakauer, who is not involved in Branson’s care, said that Branson might have suffered a transient ischemic attack (TIA), a sort of “mini-stroke” that causes only transient problems. Some patients who are seen at a hospital for a TIA are allowed to go home without being admitted, he said.

He said it was also possible that Branson had suffered a seizure or experienced a rare condition associated with migraine headaches.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 03:40:40 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 14, 2011, 09:15:17 PM »
THIS may have been the Grammy moment (knowing that she's supposedly alright now); an L.A. TV news reporter last night at the Grammys got tongue-tied on-air, rambled incoherently. Article includes video clip:
I saw this on your FB page.  It's weird how she's rambling on, like maybe she's verbally drunk but still has complete motor control.  The paramedics checked her vitals last night and she got a ride home that night from a friend, but I see she was admitted to a hospital today. No word on whether they found anything amiss.  Hope she's ok.
“I am a little surprised (they didn't admit her last night),” Dr. John Krakauer, associate professor of neurology and neuroscience at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore, told CBS News. “Frankly, I would have admitted her.”
Dr. Krakauer, who is not involved in Branson’s care, said that Branson might have suffered a transient ischemic attack (TIA), a sort of “mini-stroke” that causes only transient problems. Some patients who are seen at a hospital for a TIA are allowed to go home without being admitted, he said.
He said it was also possible that Branson had suffered a seizure or experienced a rare condition associated with migraine headaches.

Perhaps it was more serious than when first reported.  Initially it seemed to be a case of nerves, but if neurological, then of course we hope she gets proper diagnosis and care.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #718 on: February 14, 2011, 10:36:52 PM »
THIS may have been the Grammy moment (knowing that she's supposedly alright now); an L.A. TV news reporter last night at the Grammys got tongue-tied on-air, rambled incoherently. Article includes video clip:

Perhaps it was more serious than when first reported.  Initially it seemed to be a case of nerves, but if neurological, then of course we hope she gets proper diagnosis and care.
I'm no neurosurgeon, but this doesn't look good.  I'm surprised the videos are still being shown.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #719 on: February 14, 2011, 10:46:02 PM »
I guess I need to confess here.  I watched from Bruno Mars onward, and was somewhat troubled by the bit with Rhianna (not the part with Eminem)  I like sexy women and all, but found her gyrations and grinds somewhat vulgar, and wasn't even close to a turn-on.  Is the kind of stuff she was doing par for the course in current pop culture?  As the Stones say, "What a drag it is getting old!"

Don't stand in the way of LOVE!