Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 227019 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #570 on: February 17, 2010, 10:28:27 PM »
I didn't know David Bowie (who said he almost forgot the words to his song while he was lip syncing) and Elton John were both on ST.

Two years ago at the EMP Pop Conference, conf organizer and music journo Eric Weisbard gave a talk on the improbability of "Bennie and the Jets" becoming an R&B hit.  IIRC, it amounted to, one station dug it and it snowballed.  He showed the ST clip. 
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 18, 2010, 07:47:09 AM »
I didn't know David Bowie (who said he almost forgot the words to his song while he was lip syncing) and Elton John were both on ST.

Two years ago at the EMP Pop Conference, conf organizer and music journo Eric Weisbard gave a talk on the improbability of "Bennie and the Jets" becoming an R&B hit.  IIRC, it amounted to, one station dug it and it snowballed.  He showed the ST clip. 

was the station WBLS? because their PD Frankie Crocker was famous for that sort of thing -- in their '80s heyday, 'BLS played Dolly Parton's "Potential New Boyfriend" (!) and the Who's "Eminence Front" (!!) as well as breaking Brit New Wavers like Human League and Haircut 100.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 18, 2010, 10:07:21 AM »

was the station WBLS? because their PD Frankie Crocker was famous for that sort of thing -- in their '80s heyday, 'BLS played Dolly Parton's "Potential New Boyfriend" (!) and the Who's "Eminence Front" (!!) as well as breaking Brit New Wavers like Human League and Haircut 100.

I don't remember, but funny you should mention Frankie Crocker: he comes up several times in the book I'm reading now, the autobiography of gay football player Roy Simmons.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Turn the Tub Around
« Reply #573 on: February 19, 2010, 09:29:29 AM »
Caught this ad this morning while grading papers:

http://www.icantbelieveitsnotbutter.com/turnthetubaround/#/videos/fullvideo/

Megan Mullaly vamping on Vicki Sue Robinson
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Turn the Tub Around
« Reply #574 on: February 19, 2010, 09:35:01 AM »
Caught this ad this morning while grading papers:

http://www.icantbelieveitsnotbutter.com/turnthetubaround/#/videos/fullvideo/

Megan Mullaly vamping on Vicki Sue Robinson

I'd been meaning to mention that one -- Ms Mullaly needs a new agent, methinks.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 22, 2010, 02:13:36 PM »
Posted this on Facebook too, but Tim Goodman really nails what I hate about "Idol":

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/02/22/DD641C4HQP.DTL

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 28, 2010, 12:50:56 PM »
So I'm flipping around the dial, and I come across (on the Gospel Music Channel!) a movie called Sunday School Musical. Yup, a "Christian" take on the HS Musical franchise.  And it's all these swishy young actors, who must've flunked the audition to play the gay kid on Glee because they were too nelly even for that show, playing straight, young and Christian choir singers involved in a big State Competition. I was ROTFL. Hilarious.

SFGuy

« Reply #577 on: February 28, 2010, 05:51:17 PM »
Mike, you should keep flipping the dial. You might find Centric network and you can then watch those old Soul Train episodes. 330 on Directv.

SFGuy

« Reply #578 on: February 28, 2010, 10:48:12 PM »
VH1 Classic is showing Behind the Music remastered episodes (the old one with new updates added in). They've already done Metallica, Judas Priest, Genesis, and John Lennon: the Last years. It's on every Saturday night. Next week is Def Leppard.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #579 on: February 28, 2010, 11:22:41 PM »
could be in the sports folder, but hey hey my my, I enjoyed seeing Neil Young sing "Long May You Run."

Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 01, 2010, 07:45:49 AM »
Mike, you should keep flipping the dial. You might find Centric network and you can then watch those old Soul Train episodes. 330 on Directv.

I know -- I *wish* Comcast digital would give us Centric just for that reason.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 02, 2010, 10:55:15 AM »

I know -- I *wish* Comcast digital would give us Centric just for that reason.

TANC: the "Soul Train" 9-CD Box Set (!) is out this month. And PBS will be showing a restored print of "The T.A.M.I. Show" this week!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 02, 2010, 11:37:54 AM »

TANC: the "Soul Train" 9-CD Box Set (!) is out this month.

There'd better be a LOT of extras in that packaging.  With CDs on their way out, indulgences like this would seem a tough sell even for hardcore fans.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 02, 2010, 11:49:48 AM »

TANC: the "Soul Train" 9-CD Box Set (!) is out this month.

There'd better be a LOT of extras in that packaging.  With CDs on their way out, indulgences like this would seem a tough sell even for hardcore fans.

my bad -- that's a 9-disc DVD set. Including not just perf clips but interviews with Don, the "Soul Train Line" dancers, etc etc.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 06, 2010, 12:45:29 PM »
Tonight (Sat) 8:30pm on KQED-9, its The TAMI Show from Oct 1964, acknowledged as one of the best music specials ever! Stars the Stones, Beach Boys, James Brown, Supremes, Chuck Berry and more.  Among the go-go dancers in the background, look for young Toni Basil and Teri Garr. On March 23 Shout Factory releases a restored DVD of the complete film!  Watch the promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpYIWThQbYU

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_T.A.M.I._Show

That's followed at 10:30 by Rounder Records 40th Anniv Concert taped last Oct at Nashville’s Grand Ole Opry with Alison Krauss & Union Station with Jerry Douglas, Robert Plant, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Steve Martin, Nathan & The Zydeco Cha Chas, Henry Butler, Madeleine Peyroux, Bela Fleck and Irma Thomas. Minnie Driver is the host.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:41:51 PM by Wayback »