Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 228876 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #480 on: August 16, 2009, 07:20:48 AM »
KCSM is showing that Stax/Volt Revue concert filmed in Norway (!) back in '67.  Otis!  Fantabulous!
I watched the whole thing.  It was so simple, and so intense.

Never heard of that!  I wonder if it's showing on TV on this coast ...
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 16, 2009, 10:41:53 AM »
KCSM is showing that Stax/Volt Revue concert filmed in Norway (!) back in '67.  Otis!  Fantabulous!
I watched the whole thing.  It was so simple, and so intense.

Never heard of that!  I wonder if it's showing on TV on this coast ...

It's a PBS thing, so it will surely show up multiple times during Pledge Month.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 17, 2009, 07:50:58 AM »
Was kinda surprised PBS didn't glom onto Woodstock this weekend -- aging hippies being one of their prime fund-raising demos. VH-1 showed the theatrical cut with a gazillion commercials, and Comcast on-demand had the "director's cut" -- nearly 4 hours -- which I watched last nite, doing some selective fast-forwarding along the way (Canned Heat, Sha-na-na).  At this point the non-musical interview stuff was far more interesting.  One for the time capsule fo' sho'.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 28, 2009, 08:33:43 AM »
Smooth-jazz isn't just dead as a radio format -- it's dead on the Weather Channel!  No more endless loops of the Rippingtons; last nite during Your Local on the 8's I heard "Frankenstein"!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #484 on: September 15, 2009, 11:19:19 PM »
Not really music, but Jay Leno has a new feature called "10@10"

http://www.thejaylenoshow.com/video/clips/1010/1157629/
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 16, 2009, 12:27:31 AM »
Not really music, but Jay Leno has a new feature called "10@10"

http://www.thejaylenoshow.com/video/clips/1010/1157629/

"It'd be kind of hard to be Tom Cruise and go to a strip club."

You don't say.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 21, 2009, 02:03:02 PM »
For those with Comcast cable's ON-Demand option, I saw a terrific thing last night called Passing Strange. It is a rock/blues/soul musical that ran on B'way for a year or so. Spike lee saw it and loved it, so he filmed several performances and edited them together into a cohesive whole.  Basically the life story of the guy who wrote it, who calls himself simply "Stew" -- he grew up in LA in the '70s, ran away from home to live in Europe (first Amsterdam for the drugs and then Berlin, where he became the token black American in a political art commune).  Really wonderful music and performances; I can't imagine anyone here who wouldn't like it. I could've seen it in NYC my last 2 trips east and now I'm kinda sorry I didn't. Highly recommended, and I assume it will be out on DVD shortly.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 21, 2009, 10:05:34 PM »
For those with Comcast cable's ON-Demand option, I saw a terrific thing last night called Passing Strange. It is a rock/blues/soul musical that ran on B'way for a year or so. Spike lee saw it and loved it, so he filmed several performances and edited them together into a cohesive whole.  Basically the life story of the guy who wrote it, who calls himself simply "Stew" -- he grew up in LA in the '70s, ran away from home to live in Europe (first Amsterdam for the drugs and then Berlin, where he became the token black American in a political art commune).  Really wonderful music and performances; I can't imagine anyone here who wouldn't like it. I could've seen it in NYC my last 2 trips east and now I'm kinda sorry I didn't. Highly recommended, and I assume it will be out on DVD shortly.

Not only did you miss it in NY, you missed it in Berkeley (but so did I). It made its debut at Berkeley Rep in 2006.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 22, 2009, 07:39:15 AM »

Not only did you miss it in NY, you missed it in Berkeley (but so did I). It made its debut at Berkeley Rep in 2006.

indeed, and I just went to Berkeley Rep FOR THE FIRST TIME in May, despite having lived here since '91.  I'm a believer now, I'm seeing American Idiot this weekend and have tix for the Matthew Sweet musical in the spring.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 29, 2009, 11:35:45 AM »
No wonder I couldn't figure out who was doing the anthem last nite: it was an ex-soldier (one of the guys whose story became Blackhawk Down):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goZeYaUc_Lk

Tonight: John Legend!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 30, 2009, 09:41:57 AM »
Just watched the clip of Jay-Z and Alicia Keys doing "Empire State of Mind" before last nite's WS Game 2 -- is that the first time a rap number has been performed at a Series game?  It struck me as pretty awful, but then I'm no fan. And who will the Phillies counter with tomorrow?

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 30, 2009, 10:09:46 AM »
Just watched the clip of Jay-Z and Alicia Keys doing "Empire State of Mind" before last nite's WS Game 2 -- is that the first time a rap number has been performed at a Series game?  It struck me as pretty awful, but then I'm no fan. And who will the Phillies counter with tomorrow?

Later in the game (7th inning stretch), they played somebody doing a hip-hoppish cove of "Juke Box Hero" renamed "DJ Hero". 

*shudder*
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 30, 2009, 10:12:10 AM »

Later in the game (7th inning stretch), they played somebody doing a hip-hoppish cove of "Juke Box Hero" renamed "DJ Hero". 

*shudder*

to promote the video game? How sad.  How can that video game be entertaining? how many different ways are there to scratch vinyl?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 30, 2009, 10:40:35 AM »

*shudder*

to promote the video game? How sad.  How can that video game be entertaining? how many different ways are there to scratch vinyl?

Yeah, but how many hundreds of thousands of wannabe-DJs are going to buy this before they figure that out?
Let's get right to it.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 09, 2009, 09:36:23 PM »
Documentary 'How the Beatles Rocked the Kremlin'
tonight at 10pm on KTEH Ch 54 (Comcast channel 10):
http://www.kqed.org/tv/programs/index.jsp?pgmid=18583