Author Topic: 10 Sept 2014: it's... 2001  (Read 10644 times)

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Sept 2014: it's... 2001
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 10:47:54 AM »
Tell me if you think I'm overstating, but I think this might be the worst 10 at 10 of all time. Other ones I remember getting very negative reviews are Renee's first outing, 1968, and a Giants Opening Day (or world series win?) set.

While this wasn't great, I think that's overstating things a bit. We did get Travis and lesser-played Coldplay/REM. Plus we avoided Train, but managed to include Spoon.

I think the dishonor for worst set might be a theme set (for the most part those are subpar IMHO anyway).

The Outside Lands set?
Tuned to a natural E

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 10:48:44 AM »
Tell me if you think I'm overstating, but I think this might be the worst 10 at 10 of all time. Other ones I remember getting very negative reviews are Renee's first outing, 1968, and a Giants Opening Day (or world series win?) set.
Well, I'm not particularly offended by this one, with at least three songs I've never heard before: Spoon, Enya and this Eyes Wide song. Some boring stuff, but not bad.

Is it me or does AL sound a little less engaged than usual during the backsell?

Agreed; I think it's because she was probably only given one or two songs to choose today, with veto power held over those.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 10:57:09 AM »

While this wasn't great, I think that's overstating things a bit. We did get Travis and lesser-played Coldplay/REM. Plus we avoided Train, but managed to include Spoon.

I think the dishonor for worst set might be a theme set (for the most part those are subpar IMHO anyway).

The Outside Lands set?

That would certainly be a contender. Others would include the Giants' 2010 WS championship set, various Ka-Boom offerings, and at least one start-of-summer collection.

I sometimes forget the collective 'meh' that would occur when Dave did a theme set. The presence of "Walking On Sunshine" in a couple of those was what led to the term "Katrina".

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 10:58:59 AM »

I’ll agree. Most of the songs weren’t horrible and only two really bad LN’s (Cake and Incubus), but it was just frustrating because this set could have been much better than it was, and the snoozy factor was a little high. Although the same could be said about many other sets.

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 12:21:03 PM »
3-way tie for BOS: Coldplay, Weezer and REM (per AL).
Tuned to a natural E

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2014, 12:23:47 PM »

The Outside Lands set?

That would certainly be a contender. Others would include the Giants' 2010 WS championship set, various Ka-Boom offerings, and at least one start-of-summer collection.

I'd add that uninspired, generic "dead people" set Renee did last year for Memorial Day.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 12:45:40 PM »

The Outside Lands set?

I'd add that uninspired, generic "dead people" set Renee did last year for Memorial Day.

I'll agree with that one because it was prerecorded as well.
Tuned to a natural E

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2014, 01:11:10 PM »
9/10/14 Wednesday!! Loading the New iPod with tunes from...2001!!

1. Cake- Short Skirt, Long Jacket
(TV:SNL-Drunk Girl)
2. Nelly Furtado- I'm Like a Bird
(TV: SNL Drunk Girl)
3. Coldplay- Shiver (B.O.S. 3-Way tie!)
4. Travis- Sing
(News: Steve Jobs introduces the iPod)
5. Afrocelt Soundsystem w/Peter Gabriel- When You're Falling
(Movie: Donnie Darko)
6. Spoon- Anything You Want
7. Incubus- Drive
(TV: Daily Show: Bush Tax Cuts)
8. REM- Imitation of Life (B.O.S. 3-Way tie!)
(Movie: A Beautiful Mind)
9. Enya- Only Time
10. Weezer- Hash Pipe (B.O.S. 3-Way tie!)
Tuned to a natural E

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2014, 01:42:57 PM »
9/10/14 Wednesday!! Loading the New iPod with tunes from...2001!!

1. Cake- Short Skirt, Long Jacket
(TV:SNL-Drunk Girl)
2. Nelly Furtado- I'm Like a Bird
(TV: SNL Drunk Girl)
3. Coldplay- Shiver (B.O.S. 3-Way tie!)
4. Travis- Sing
(News: Steve Jobs introduces the iPod)
5. Afrocelt Soundsystem w/Peter Gabriel- When You're Falling
(Movie: Donnie Darko)
6. Spoon- Anything You Want
7. Incubus- Drive
(TV: Daily Show: Bush Tax Cuts)
8. REM- Imitation of Life (B.O.S. 3-Way tie!)
(Movie: A Beautiful Mind)
9. Enya- Only Time
10. Weezer- Hash Pipe (B.O.S. 3-Way tie!)

I'll note she avoided 9/11 clips even tho' the anniv is tomorrow...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2014, 03:13:40 PM »
I'll note she avoided 9/11 clips even tho' the anniv is tomorrow...

Or possibly because the anniversary is tomorrow.
Let's get right to it.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2014, 10:27:30 PM »
Funny, I really liked "Short Skirt/Long Jacket" the first 750 times I heard it. Now, yeah, definitely LN.

I haven't heard it 750 times yet, so I still really like it.  :)
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2014, 10:48:22 PM »

The Outside Lands set?

I sometimes forget the collective 'meh' that would occur when Dave did a theme set. The presence of "Walking On Sunshine" in a couple of those was what led to the term "Katrina".

And yet both Dave and Annalisa had some outstanding theme shows.  Dave did notably well with
some holiday sets, while Annalisa had some offbeat collections -- I particularly liked her nautical
theme for fleet week.  Others have remarked that RR did often better with theme sets.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2014, 08:25:47 AM »

The Outside Lands set?

And yet both Dave and Annalisa had some outstanding theme shows.  Dave did notably well with
some holiday sets, while Annalisa had some offbeat collections -- I particularly liked her nautical
theme for fleet week.  Others have remarked that RR did often better with theme sets.

I suppose one could conclude that the theme sets have the greatest variation in Quality/LNQ!

Certainly, the theme sets more or less fall into two camps:

1) The sets where the host felt passionate, such as the ones you've mentioned...
2) Sets ordered from the bigwigs... I just thought of a couple others in the latter category that didn't work out so well, specifically the Live From The Archives efforts, and to a certain extent, Ka-Boom!