Author Topic: The Drive, 10/4/05: 1967!  (Read 8208 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Drive, 10/4/05: 1967!
« on: October 04, 2005, 07:57:54 AM »
Yay!  Some JA and American Breed are promised.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 08:02:54 AM »
WOS to "Dear Mr. Fantasy."  Steve's got a great voice and a solid body of work, but this song grates on me, due to (a) the word "snappy," and (b) that silly "oooooohhhh---WAAAAHHHH" bridge that suggests to me they just didn't think of any better transition from verse to verse.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 08:06:13 AM »
P.S.  What's SW's voice being piped through?  Some kind of phaser?  It strangles his a's and makes him sound like the kid who says "I'm hypoglssshhhemic" while slurping on a lollipop.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Ay Caramba!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 08:07:39 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
WOS to "Dear Mr. Fantasy."  Steve's got a great voice and a solid body of work, but this song grates on me, due to (a) the word "snappy," and (b) that silly "oooooohhhh---WAAAAHHHH" bridge that suggests to me they just didn't think of any better transition from verse to verse.

Revisionist alert!  Revisionist alert!  Cranky pants early in the AM!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 08:07:39 AM »
BUT!  Lest you think I've got the crankpants on -- wait a second! -- it's BOS1 to Tommy James's "Mirage."  What a lovely little tune; I wish people still wrote stuff like this.  Maybe the Click Five do, I'm not patient enough with their image to find out.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 08:09:21 AM »
BUT!  Lest you think I've got the crankpants on -- wait a second! -- it's BOS1 to Tommy James's "Mirage."  What a lovely little tune; I wish people still wrote stuff like this.  Maybe the Click Five do, I'm not patient enough with their image to find out.

Agreed, great tune, and quite similar to Wind's "Make Believe" a couple years later, which was even later covered by Joan Jett.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 08:10:37 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Agreed, great tune, and quite similar to Wind's "Make Believe" a couple years later, which was even later covered by Joan Jett.

Thanks for reminding me of that one!  I've heard it exactly once in my life.  Loved it, haven't seen or heard it since.

BOS2 to the JA, natch.  As overplayed as the record's undeniably been over the years, it's still a searing hot knife.

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Ay Carumba!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 08:12:06 AM »
Spanish crankypants over here:  it's c-a-r-a-m-b-a, not c-a-r-u-m-b-a.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 08:13:14 AM »
The BOS to end all BOSes in a fab set: (pause 9 beats) "Bernadette!"

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 08:14:23 AM »
I can't quantify it, and maybe Gaz or Geoff can, but of late I have been really getting into the Garage Rock sound, and there's something about the guitars on "Somebody To Love" that fits right in with the whole Nuggets compilation.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 08:14:29 AM »
The BOS to end all BOSes in a fab set: (pause 9 beats) "Bernadette!"

With special love to James Jamerson on the bass, of course.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 08:14:34 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Thanks for reminding me of that one!  I've heard it exactly once in my life.  Loved it, haven't seen or heard it since.

BOS2 to the JA, natch.  As overplayed as the record's undeniably been over the years, it's still a searing hot knife.

Little Steven played the Joan Jett version a few weeks back (It's a Kenny Laguna composition, maybe?) amd the original used to turn up on Dick Bartley occasionally.

Re: "STL"... why would one's mind be "full of bread"? (at one time I thought she was saying "your mind is a thoroughbred" LOL!)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 08:15:53 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
I can't quantify it, and maybe Gaz or Geoff can, but of late I have been really getting into the Garage Rock sound, and there's something about the guitars on "Somebody To Love" that fits right in with the whole Nuggets compilation.

I can't articulate equipment, but I'll urge you to listen to the Airplane's After Bathing at Baxter's album, which pretty well sums up the "sound."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 08:17:52 AM »
Awwww... "She's Leaving Home". VHM Paulie Beatle.  Love the Billy Bragg cover, Dave really should have that Sgt Pepper Knew My Father LP in 10@10 rotation.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 08:20:02 AM »
A gripe: The line "fun is the one thing that money can't buy" has always bothered me.  It's quite easy to buy fun!  Why they didn't use the word "love" there always puzzled me.