Author Topic: 7 May 2014: it's... 1967!  (Read 7127 times)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 7 May 2014: it's... 1967!
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 10:38:40 AM »
BOS for See Emily Play

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 10:39:03 AM »
This was a delightful set.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 10:52:35 AM »
Wow, some of the segues were recycled from previous sets (e.g. Valley Of The Dolls--->Funky Broadway; The Avengers--->I Can See For Miles; The Trip--->See Emily Play).  I wonder how RGMike would feel about this set... letdown, perhaps?
Tuned to a natural E

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 11:26:39 AM »
clip ---> Pink Floyd "See Emily Play"

Listened to two different 67 sets over the weekend -- one from Dave's reign, and one earlier AL creation, and See Emily Play was in both. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

It's become a frequent flyer for sure.

BOS, the 'oo.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 01:33:37 PM »
Wednesday, May 7, 2014

1. Beach Boys - Heroes & Villians
2. Dandy Livingstone - Rudy, A Message To You
    (TV: BBC "SF Where It's At)
3. Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love
    (TV: BBC "SF Hippies")
4. Richie Haven - S.F. Bay Blues *BOS*
5. The Seeds - Can't Seem to Make You Mine
6. Spencer Davis Group - Gimme Some Lovin'
    (Movie: Valley of the Dolls)
7. Wilson Pickett - Funky Broadway
8. Gladys Knight & the Pips - Heard It Through the Grapevine
    (Movie: The Avengers)
9. The Who - I Can See for Miles
    (Movie: The Trip)
10. Pink Floyd - See Emily Play
Tuned to a natural E

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 10:21:12 PM »
what's happening in San Francisco ---> Jefferson Airplane "Somebody To Love"
sheesh, I love Grace but never need hear "Somebody to Love" ever again. How many 10@10 appearances has this made, just in the AL era alone?

While I would give it a high LNQ, it has only been played four times previously on 10@10 -- twice
by Dave, and twice by Annalisa.  The Queen song with the same title has appeared more than
three times as often.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 10:26:23 PM »
The Seeds "Can't Seem To Make You Mine"

ETA: Bustout?

Yep.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 11:12:12 PM »
Wow, some of the segues were recycled from previous sets (e.g. Valley Of The Dolls--->Funky Broadway; The Avengers--->I Can See For Miles; The Trip--->See Emily Play).  I wonder how RGMike would feel about this set... letdown, perhaps?

I won't pretend to know how RGMike would feel about this set, but I know how I feel...  On the
one side of the ledger, 1967 is a very strong year and even songs with a high LNQ sound pretty
good.  And today's set continues the general trend we've been seeing with AL 2.0 -- most of
the tracks haven't been played a lot on 10@10 (even if some are LN).  So I found today's set
very pleasant.  On the other side, little new ground is being broken, and it almost seems like
one would have to intentionally work at that with a year like this.  I didn't find today's set
rousing, inspiring, surprising, or delightful.  It could have been at least some of those things.
I don't expect much from the late '70s, but a late '60s set should be much better.

BOS for the Beach Boys, Richie Havens, and Pink Floyd.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 05:33:30 AM »
Listening to the replay last night, I was reminded what a spectacular effort "Gimme Some Lovin'" is.... yes, it is an LN of one of the highest orders, but it really seemed to hit the spot.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 10:21:24 AM »

I won't pretend to know how RGMike would feel about this set, but I know how I feel...  On the
one side of the ledger, 1967 is a very strong year and even songs with a high LNQ sound pretty
good.  And today's set continues the general trend we've been seeing with AL 2.0 -- most of
the tracks haven't been played a lot on 10@10 (even if some are LN).  So I found today's set
very pleasant.  On the other side, little new ground is being broken, and it almost seems like
one would have to intentionally work at that with a year like this.  I didn't find today's set
rousing, inspiring, surprising, or delightful.  It could have been at least some of those things.
I don't expect much from the late '70s, but a late '60s set should be much better.

What a chasm between pleasant and delightful.

Slipping into something
And out of something else

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 02:35:25 PM »

What a chasm between pleasant and delightful.

A chasm implies there's a large negative space.  While there may be a little distance between the two,
it's just an upward slope.