Author Topic: RIP Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, 76  (Read 2050 times)

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
RIP Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, 76
« on: April 20, 2014, 09:22:35 PM »
Rubin (Hurricane) Carter, a star prizefighter whose career was cut short by a murder conviction
in New Jersey and who became an international cause célèbre while imprisoned for 19 years
before the charges against him were dismissed, died on Sunday morning at his home in Toronto.
He was 76.

The cause of death was prostate cancer...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/21/sports/rubin-hurricane-carter-fearsome-boxer-dies-at-76.html
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, 76
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 10:47:53 AM »
If anyone wants to read a really good book on him, check out

www.amazon.com/Hurricane-Miraculous-Journey-Rubin-Carter/dp/0618087281

The author was one of my closer friends in HS, and more recently he wrote the big best-selling bio of Willie Mays.  I got Urth a signed copy of that one (and the Giants promptly won the World Series, coincidence?)
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, 76
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 10:53:59 AM »
If anyone wants to read a really good book on him, check out

www.amazon.com/Hurricane-Miraculous-Journey-Rubin-Carter/dp/0618087281

The author was one of my closer friends in HS, and more recently he wrote the big best-selling bio of Willie Mays.  I got Urth a signed copy of that one (and the Giants promptly won the World Series, coincidence?)

Which, I might add, was an excellent read; it really illuminated a lot of the Giants history for me, in addition to going into Willie's life in great detail.  And I learned a lot about SF in the 60s, too. Like that Willie lived in a neighborhood less than a mile from where I lived in SF -- who'd have guessed?
Let's get right to it.