Author Topic: 24 April 2013: a "Classic" from... 1972  (Read 7078 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 24 April 2013: a "Classic" from... 1972
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 10:41:27 AM »
VHM Carly's apricot yacht gavotte.  BOS4&5 her nips.

BOS.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 10:49:23 AM »
BOS FMac, Kinks, Joni, & Mott; VHM everything else save for the Doobies, which always leaves me kinda meh.  I think this really may have been one of RR/DC's better efforts.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 10:52:51 AM »
BOS FMac, Kinks, Joni, & Mott; VHM everything else save for the Doobies, which always leaves me kinda meh.  I think this really may have been one of RR/DC's better efforts.

early-'70s seem to be where their better sets stem from. Guessing Dennis was a high-school music geek in '72.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 12:33:38 PM »
BOS2 and proxy of geoff, ABB. "Ain't Wastin' Time No Mo'"

Geoff would probably BOS "Bare Trees" from this set, but I no where you are coming from.  VHM from me.
yeah, hard to choose; probably FM
HM for JB
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 10:32:02 PM »
This classic dates back to December 3rd.
And yesterday was Dec 4. Something tells me RR did not dig too hard when looking for her faves.

How hard do they have to dig?  There's barely six months of RR sets, and ideally you don't want
to rerun one that has been played in the past few weeks.  That limits the selection quite a bit.
I suspect there are less than a hundred to chose from.

There seems to be an entertainment industry taboo against ever acknowledging the existence
of "talent" that has moved on to a competitor, so I strongly doubt we'll ever hear an AL set
broadcast again.  And in fact, after AL left in September they filled in with two weeks of DM sets.
But now there's enough done by RR so that isn't necessary.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 10:33:43 PM »
VHM Carly's apricot yacht gavotte.  BOS4&5 her nips.

Heh.  Those were the two reasons I bought that album as a yute.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 10:35:09 PM »
Time for a bathroom break while 2 of the biggest LNs of this year roll on: Listen To the Music, all you young doods.
"Listen to the Music" is such a sledgehammer for me (GAP dances - I don't even know what GAP stood for, but there were girls), and "All the Young Dudes" is such a great tune, that I don't mind.  VHM for both.

My curiosity is piqued -- were these dances at your school, or hosted by some other organization?

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 10:47:08 PM »
I missed the introduction, and when the Joni song came on I thought that maybe it was an AL
set -- that was the kind of deeper track she would have played.  So in line with other comments,
this was about as good as it gets from RR.

BOS for Joni.  As a songwriter, she's top tier, and head & shoulders above other artists we've
discussed recently.  For The Roses is one of her many great albums, sadly underappreciated.

BOS for The Kinks -- their last great work before beginning their downward slide.  It's a shame
that the '80s stuff gets all the play these days.  It sucks compared to their earlier work.

VHM for Fleetwood Mac and Al Green.  Most of the rest was okay as well, just over-played.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 12:24:42 AM »
And yesterday was Dec 4. Something tells me RR did not dig too hard when looking for her faves.

How hard do they have to dig?  There's barely six months of RR sets, and ideally you don't want
to rerun one that has been played in the past few weeks.  That limits the selection quite a bit.

There seems to be an entertainment industry taboo against ever acknowledging the existence
of "talent" that has moved on to a competitor, so I strongly doubt we'll ever hear an AL set
broadcast again.  And in fact, after AL left in September they filled in with two weeks of DM sets.

My point was that the two sets were from consecutive days. Which seems kinda lazy to me. Will we get December 2 rerun tomorrow?
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 11:15:57 AM »
Time for a bathroom break while 2 of the biggest LNs of this year roll on: Listen To the Music, all you young doods.
"Listen to the Music" is such a sledgehammer for me (GAP dances - I don't even know what GAP stood for, but there were girls), and "All the Young Dudes" is such a great tune, that I don't mind.  VHM for both.

My curiosity is piqued -- were these dances at your school, or hosted by some other organization?

They were an outside organization.  Now that I think of it, it's probably YAP, and the Y stands for Young.  Young American People?  I knew quite a few kids in it (from more affluent families), but was never invited to join.  I only cared about the dances anyhow, but I think they had ski trips also. 

I was in DeMolay (Masonic), and we had dances too.  My friends could come to those, too.

ETA:  A quick googling indicates that there is currently a Young Adult Program in Berkeley.  Good chance that this is the same thing, 35 years later.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 11:24:35 AM by Lightnin' Rod »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 05:39:53 PM »

My point was that the two sets were from consecutive days. Which seems kinda lazy to me. Will we get December 2 rerun tomorrow?

On one hand it can be argued that it is too soon to replay recent sets,
and early sets should not be considered because RR was still coming up
to speed, as it were.  This means the pool of available shows is very
small.  On the alternate tentacle, one might say that the encore sets
are being chosen with the same care and consideration that every other
aspect of 10@10 is being shown these days.  I don't think it makes much
difference either way.

Whether consecutive shows are used, or they are picked "out of a hat,"
or they are carefully chosen based on some defined (but unknown to us)
criteria, I think the result will be pretty much the same.  The quality
of song selection has been consistent the past few months, so in the end
the ratio of winners to losers is going to be similar no matter what
method is employed.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 05:47:11 PM »
They were an outside organization.  Now that I think of it, it's probably YAP, and the Y stands for Young.  Young American People?  I knew quite a few kids in it (from more affluent families), but was never invited to join.  I only cared about the dances anyhow, but I think they had ski trips also. 

I was in DeMolay (Masonic), and we had dances too.  My friends could come to those, too.

ETA:  A quick googling indicates that there is currently a Young Adult Program in Berkeley.  Good chance that this is the same thing, 35 years later.

Interesting.  I only knew about school dances.  I imagine there were some churches that held
dances for kids too, but  I personally never heard of any.  (Not that I was big on the church thang.)