Author Topic: 19 December 2011: It's 2003!  (Read 13361 times)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: 19 December 2011: It's 2003!
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2011, 02:46:02 PM »
So lame.  Most of this was like a Hot AC sample hour from 2003...or 2011.  Most of these were not more necessary than Dave Gahan.  Mraz, McLesbian, Evanescence, Maroon 5, and No Doubt were not necessary at all.

I didn't think it was all that wonderful, but I disagree to the extent that KFOG wasn't playing Evanescence or Maroon 5 in 2003. And if they played the No Doubt it was in VERY light rotation. Can't remember if they played the Mrazzz.

I was quite astounded by the widespread hate for Outkast on FB  -- not just the usual rock-purist cranks but a consensus. I'm sure AL thought that was a slam-dunk, mass-appeal BOS contender; I don't know anybody who didn't like that record in '03.

KFOG didn't play them that much, but when half of the set you can still hear daily on Alice/Star/Mix, that intensifies the unnecessariness for each one.  (If there was just one or two, otoh, they could probably slide if they were good songs and/or peppy mega-hits.)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2011, 04:11:16 PM »
Uber-BOS to "United States Of Whatever".

you're really disappointing me today, Tim.  This song is amusing -- ONCE.
RG, I didn't hear the set, but I think I would have joined you in slagging it mercilessly (though, I'm not disappointed in the still aptly named IntellectualElitist). How can anyone hate Hey Ya? It's like the Hey Jude of our time (that's supposed to be a good thing).

Thank you. Now I will sing, "Heeeeeeyyyyyyyy Jude" whenever I hear the Outkast song.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2011, 11:00:20 PM »
Radical Ratings: 2003

Good

B
Sting (I adore this album but I'm a little disappointed that she picked this single.  "Send Your Love" was the sure pick...and even "Stolen Car" would have been much better.)
Sarah McLesbian (But the radio remix would have been more interesting.)
Calexico
No Doubt (I honestly don't mind this remake, in the scheme of things.  It was much better than the four singles from Rocksteady that it followed, three of which were atrocious and the other which was barely tolerable.  That, and it made people aware of Talk Talk.)

C
Outkast (I'm so over this, but I too am surprised at the immense hate for it over on FB.  "Lose Yourself" got BOS; you'd think this would too.)
Evanescence (Loved it when it was first out; succumbed to a relatively short shelf life)
Maroon 5 (When this song was out I had no clue they'd be as huge as they are now, or even that this song would be a top 5 pop hit.  It sounds like it's half-finished.  "This Love" is better, but wouldn't have been that much more necessary in terms of this set.)

D
Jason Mraz (When it was out it could have gone either way; in retrospect, it was a predecessor to what was to come.  The thing is, Mraz actually can, when he tries...i.e. "Plane"...also "You & I Both" wouldn't have been bad.  But like many other artists, his garbage is much more marketable.)
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Liam Lynch (Sorry...I tried to find this funny.  I really did.  As an aside, Hits 106 actually had this in regular rotation.)

Necessary

A
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (Ok, I'll bite, putting my WOS here, but it was the only thing that really livened up this set.)

B
Calexico
Sting (These two are here for being above average Triple A fodder.)

C
OutKast
Sarah McLesbian (Upon second thought, it wasn't completely unnecessary, as it's not played too much anywhere anymore and it's one of her better ones in my opinion, but didn't add too much to this set either.)

D
Liam Lynch (I'd be more sympathetic about this one if 10@10 went to 11.)

F
Jason Mraz (Alice called, it wants its sample hour back)
No Doubt (Star called, it wants its sample hour back)
Maroon 5 (Mix called, it wants its sample hour back)
Evanescence (Live 105...and the above three...called, they want their sample hour back)

Decent enough flow...but clip too heavily weighted towards Iraq.  This year could have been so much more necessary, in my opinion.