Author Topic: Vertical Tasting: Friday 7/22/05  (Read 12320 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Vertical Tasting: Friday 7/22/05
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2005, 10:51:01 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
What the hell? Was Dave trying to make a date with the Birthday Boy?

sure sounded like it to me...  remember, Irish Greg said "Dave's always looking."  Dave once commented that he & I should get together and "compare record collections", wink wink.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2005, 10:54:11 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

sure sounded like it to me...  remember, Irish Greg said "Dave's always looking."  Dave once commented that he & I should get together and "compare record collections", wink wink.

Never knew. You've kind of seen his since you were at his house, gonna show him yours? :wink:
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2005, 10:59:01 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

What did I not hear?

DM mentioned that Fitz, the birthday kid who suggested the set, said he always celebrated his birthday at the Hippo on Van Ness. Dave then suggested that he and Fitz meet on the corner of Van Ness & Pacific & hang out and eat some ice cream...or something.  :wink:
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2005, 11:08:52 AM »
Heh heh. I used to go the Hippo too. They had a hamburger sundae. Burger patty with ice cream and sundae stuff on it. Don't you dare mock me for that!
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
BOS Baker St
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2005, 11:38:18 AM »
VHM Mr Ravenscroft's sax.  Another flashback, tho' not to '78... My first visit to London (Summer of '83), I actually did wind my way down Baker St and had this song in my head the whole time.

What a great album.  I think the new Luce track they play on KFOG sounds like Gerry Rafferty.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Peter Gabriel
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2005, 11:41:36 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Hey Urth, I don't know if this came up when I wasn't looking, but who exactly is your avatar?  I know I lose frink points for having to ask, but all I can think is that it looks a lot like Hank Azaria.
I was wondering if you all recogized him or what. It's Peter Gabriel in his Genesis days, with the crown of his head shaved and wearing his bat-wing headgear (from Watcher of the Skies).

This occurred to me, because of the triangle patch, but wasn't sure.  It has kind of a hippie/Robin Hood look to it I didn't associate with PG.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
comparing record collections
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2005, 11:43:33 AM »

I'd love to show Dave my record collection, but it's quite meager compared to his.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: BOS Baker St
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2005, 11:48:49 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
VHM Mr Ravenscroft's sax.  Another flashback, tho' not to '78... My first visit to London (Summer of '83), I actually did wind my way down Baker St and had this song in my head the whole time.

What a great album.  I think the new Luce track they play on KFOG sounds like Gerry Rafferty.

the one about "let's buy a dog and bring him home"? Hmm, I like that song but Rafferty never occurred to me.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2005, 12:05:15 PM »
the one about "let's buy a dog and bring him home"? Hmm, I like that song but Rafferty never occurred to me.

It's just the tonality and vocal phrasing.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2005, 12:53:03 PM »

I like the song, too, but I noticed that the couple of bars leading up to the title lyric sounded almost note for note like part of The Ramones "We're A Happy Family".  I called in to mention this after they'd said something about songs that sound like other songs.  So when I said "Buy A Dog" reminds me of another song, Dave & Peter both jumped in and said "Gerry Rafferty?" with the We've-already-been-over-this-before tone of voice.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2005, 01:09:23 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"

I like the song, too, but I noticed that the couple of bars leading up to the title lyric sounded almost note for note like part of The Ramones "We're A Happy Family".  I called in to mention this after they'd said something about songs that sound like other songs.  So when I said "Buy A Dog" reminds me of another song, Dave & Peter both jumped in and said "Gerry Rafferty?" with the We've-already-been-over-this-before tone of voice.

So, I guess I wasn't imagining things then!
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol: