Author Topic: Vertical Tasting: Friday 7/22/05  (Read 12318 times)

Gaz at da Voice

Wish I were listening
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2005, 10:26:50 AM »
BOS from afar to "Baker Street," which I can't imagine tiring of.

The dance remix of "Love Is Alive" was by 3rd Party, who didn't do anything else of note AFAIK.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Vertical Tasting: Friday 7/22/05
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2005, 10:27:02 AM »
BOS Ms Summer, from a time when 'hos were scrappy'n'sassy, and didn't merely exist to be slapped by pimps in gangsta-rap scenarios.  "Hey Mista!"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2005, 10:27:51 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
My first visit to London (Summer of '83), I actually did wind my way down Baker St and had this song in my head the whole time.

Funny how many places in that town inspire memories of songs. When I was there last year, I couldn't pass Wardour Street without conjuring up "Don't Try to Lay No Boojie Woojie..." and Long John Baldry.

Although my strongest musical memory is of walking to the South Kensington tube stop on a warm evening, and hearing a busker outside playing the Kinks' Waterloo Sunset. I stopped to hear it to the end, and gave him a quid for his efforts. Sublime.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2005, 10:28:26 AM »
Sounds like the looooong version.
Sharks bleed teal.

yessongs

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2005, 10:29:40 AM »
Very few Billy Joel songs that I actually like.... (but this is one of them)   8)
Now I'm eight bits...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2005, 10:30:29 AM »
Hey Urth, I don't know if this came up when I wasn't looking, but who exactly is your avatar?  I know I lose frink points for having to ask, but all I can think is that it looks a lot like Hank Azaria.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2005, 10:32:45 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "RGMike"
My first visit to London (Summer of '83), I actually did wind my way down Baker St and had this song in my head the whole time.

Funny how many places in that town inspire memories of songs. When I was there last year, I couldn't pass Wardour Street without conjuring up "Don't Try to Lay No Boojie Woojie..." and Long John Baldry.

Although my strongest musical memory is of walking to the South Kensington tube stop on a warm evening, and hearing a busker outside playing the Kinks' Waterloo Sunset. I stopped to hear it to the end, and gave him a quid for his efforts. Sublime.

Indeed, it's been too long since I've been there. I think I've mentioned an obscure song by a group called Sweet Thursday (big on NYC FM in the early '70s; their name is a Steinbeck reference IIRC) called "Gilbert Street" that goes "get your ticket on the Central Line... get off at Bond St, and you'll feel so fine." That one reverberated in my head a lot too when I was there.

WOS Mr Joel, it's still polyester to me.

BOS2: H&O, "You Make My Dreams", closest to an obscurity we'll get, and a lost hit worth revisiting.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2005, 10:33:57 AM »
Hey Beej, you ever do Thor's voice in any of your online personas? I have to do so here in response to Mike:

LOL! I did, as a matter of fact. Back when The Hulk was getting a lot of heat for bad grammer (this particualr site has a lot, a lot of rule) he "took a break" but let Thor use his account.

So, it would still say The Hulk, but I put a disclaimer at the beginning explaining that while Hulk was attending Sylvan Learning Centers to brush up on his grammer- his collegue Thor would be posting. Then I did the Thor-stuff you were doing.

Sometimes Hulk's manager, Murray Goldman, would do the postings.

I'm sick.
nakes? On my plane?

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2005, 10:35:47 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Hey Urth, I don't know if this came up when I wasn't looking, but who exactly is your avatar?  I know I lose frink points for having to ask, but all I can think is that it looks a lot like Hank Azaria.

I was wondering if you all recogized him or what. It's Peter Gabriel in his Genesis days, with the crown of his head shaved and wearing his bat-wing headgear (from Watcher of the Skies).
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Wish I were listening
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2005, 10:38:43 AM »
Quote from: "Gaz at da Voice"
The dance remix of "Love Is Alive" was by 3rd Party, who didn't do anything else of note AFAIK.

thanks, bub! I knew you'd know. I hear it at the gym often, along with those awful remakes (using the chorus only) of Winwood's "Valerie" and the Pointers' "Dare Me".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2005, 10:39:41 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

I was wondering if you all recogized him or what. It's Peter Gabriel in his Genesis days, with the crown of his head shaved and wearing his bat-wing headgear (from Watcher of the Skies).

Damn, I'd've sworn it was someone from LOTR.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2005, 10:42:48 AM »
another VHM to D times 2.  "There's a dream that strings the road with broken glass for us to hold..." Huh? Willful obscurity that makes Rush's lyrics seem like Dick and Jane in comparison.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2005, 10:44:30 AM »
Willful obscurity that makes Rush's lyrics seem like Dick and Jane in comparison.

(in Geddy Lee voice) Seeeeee Diiiick RUUUUUUNNNNN!
nakes? On my plane?

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2005, 10:45:23 AM »
What the hell? Was Dave trying to make a date with the Birthday Boy?
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2005, 10:47:33 AM »
What the hell? Was Dave trying to make a date with the Birthday Boy?

What did I not hear?
Sharks bleed teal.