Author Topic: 15 July 2009: 1985  (Read 16301 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 15 July 2009: 1985
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2009, 10:56:02 AM »

Do you know, or could you inquire, what kind of camera she used, and how she got it in?

I love shooting concerts, but dread draconian "no photo/video policies" that are arbitrarily enforced.  (Little point-and-shoots are ok, but supposedly "professional" SLRs are not, even though there are small cameras that can shoot excellent photos, and an SLR does not automatically make you a pro photographer.  And of course camera phones continue to get better -- are they going to make people start bringing their iPhones back to their cars?)

Just wondering what the Fillmore's (or Duran Duran's) policy is these days.  Thanks.

I'm pretty sure she uses one of the Panasonic Lumix point-and-shoot models that comes with a Leica lens. She gets really good concert shots with it, so I've asked her what it is. My wife just got a similar model at Costco, but its shutter lag is horrendous--it sucks for action shots. But it's good in low light without a flash.

As to photo policies, the Fillmore used to go with whatever the band wanted. If the band was OK with it, you could bring in a pro video camera and a 24-track recorder. If they weren't, you'd have to smuggle a point-and-shoot in your pants and hope no one spotted you. No idea what Duran Duran's policy is--my friend works security at the Fillmore (but wasn't working at this show) so she gets away with a lot.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 10:58:07 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2009, 10:56:35 AM »
was that movie clip earlier from Mask?  Here we have a Sonny and Cher cover!
Yeah, it was.  I had to look it up.  I never saw that -- sounds sad.

it is sad.  It'll make you cry, but it's good.

I don't cry easily at movies -- and I certainly never expected a Grateful Dead song to move me in that way -- but it did at the end of Mask and I def got choked up.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2009, 10:59:22 AM »

Yep, Cher and Eric Stoltz in one of his first big roles. That film launched both of their film careers, iirc.

actually, Silkwood was pre-Mask. But it was Stoltz's debut (after he got fired from Back to the Future and replaced by MJ Fox).

Not quite, Stoltz had a couple lines in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. He and his real life roommate Anthony Edwards were the two stoners buds in the van.  Edwards did not have a line.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2009, 11:11:40 AM »

Yep, Cher and Eric Stoltz in one of his first big roles. That film launched both of their film careers, iirc.

actually, Silkwood was pre-Mask. But it was Stoltz's debut (after he got fired from Back to the Future and replaced by MJ Fox).

Not quite, Stoltz had a couple lines in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. He and his real life roommate Anthony Edwards were the two stoners buds in the van.  Edwards did not have a line.

well, I meant "his first starring role". Yeah, that's the ticket.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2009, 10:47:49 PM »
sounds FYC-ish to me?

correct.  Johnny Come Home, I think it's called.

I had to leave for work and missed this.  BOS2!  I loved this song at the time - its video was getting play on "Night Tracks" or "Night Flight" or one of those video shows.  Maybe MTV itself?

Siouxsie was NTM as well; sounded better on the replay.  BOS3.  I interviewed their bassist, Steve Severin, for a friend's website many years ago, but I'm afraid I have no memory of the interview or what project he was promoting.  Yikes.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2009, 10:51:51 PM »
Today's set had such a nice flow :)

It started off kind of blah IMO...then she played the ever-so-mainstream but still ever-so-good Don't You Forget About Me (BOS 1), and then when she played Siouxsie & the Banshees (BOS2) I just about fell out of my chair & again with Bronski Beat (BOS3).  It also (as has been mentioned) had a nice 80s feel to it, complete with a peak slightly after the middle & then coming down nicely.

Smalltown Boy followed by Johnny Come Home was clever.

7/15/09 - Wednesday!  Sounds like...1985!!!

1.  Katrina & the Waves - Walking on Sunshine
(Live Aid)
   2.  The Hooters - And We Danced
   3.  Big Audio Dynamite - The Bottom Line
(Movie:  Breakfast Club trailer)
   4.  Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me
   5.  Prefab Sprout - When Love Breaks Down
(Moive:  Pee Wee's Big Adventure)
   6.  Duran Duran - A View to A Kill (BEST OF SET!!)
   7.  Siouxsie & the Banshees - Cities in Dust
(Movie:  Mask)
   8.  Bronski Beat - Small Town Boy
   9.  Fine Young Cannibals - Johnny Come Home
 10.  UB40 with Chrissie Hynde - I Got You Babe

BONUS TRACK (Tina in Fremont):  Tears for Fears -
                                                                Head Over Heels

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2009, 05:50:42 AM »
BOS Duran Duran - one of the best mainstream #1s in my opinion.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2009, 08:35:34 AM »
Today's set had such a nice flow :)

It started off kind of blah IMO...then she played the ever-so-mainstream but still ever-so-good Don't You Forget About Me (BOS 1), and then when she played Siouxsie & the Banshees (BOS2) I just about fell out of my chair & again with Bronski Beat (BOS3).  It also (as has been mentioned) had a nice 80s feel to it, complete with a peak slightly after the middle & then coming down nicely.

yeah, it really picked up w Simple Minds.  That song may sound overplayed to some, but I always enjoy it.  The Duran2 is a nice over BOS choice, I agree w lufaphs.  I was disappointed when they did not play that live a few years back at the GG Park Convert they did (Maroon 5 and Seal opened).
~CPL593H~