Author Topic: 17 Oct 2007: 1989  (Read 6361 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
17 Oct 2007: 1989
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2007, 10:47:27 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
You guys still out? We just heard Eurythmics, Don't Ask Me Why. Followed by the Alarm, Sold Me Down the River, which followed a clip of Pete Wilson (the governor, not the news anchor) saying how the feds were on their way.

yup -- both the version on the KFOG site and the WMP version linked to by geoff are kaput.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2007, 10:48:51 AM »
Another clip about how SF was fairly well prepared for this--that outside of the Marina there wasn't widespread damage. Followed by FYC, Don't Look Back.

This has gotta be tune # 10.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2007, 10:55:55 AM »
Quote from: "Davefish"
Quote from: "mshray"
nasty flashback on the news account of the Cypress Freeway collapse -  one of my best friends in grad school, Kelly, lost her fiance there, although she never told me herself & I only learned about it a year or so later through a mutual friend.

Hope you're doing well now wherever you are Kelly!

Mark, you know about the Shak, right?  See my edit above...

Yeah, Chris was telling me about the new Shak this past weekend, and I was asking him which of the old signs had survived.  I have fond memories of the Lovelock 69, the Best Handjobs in Burlingame (or was it San Mateo?), and the swine flu if You Have Brought Sick Pigs signs.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2007, 10:58:26 AM »
nasty flashback on the news account of the Cypress Freeway collapse -  one of my best friends in grad school, Kelly, lost her fiance there, although she never told me herself & I only learned about it a year or so later through a mutual friend.

Hope you're doing well now wherever you are Kelly!

Mark, you know about the Shak, right?  See my edit above...

Yeah, Chris was telling me about the new Shak this past weekend, and I was asking him which of the old signs had survived.  I have fond memories of the Lovelock 69, the Best Handjobs in Burlingame (or was it San Mateo?), and the swine flu if You Have Brought Sick Pigs signs.

All of those signs still exist, but a lot of them are just sitting in the office in stacks.  (Actually, those three are all visible -- it's San Mateo).  There are rules about where signs can be.  The new Shak isn't Shaklike at all.  Not my favorite, though there are a lot of great pictures of me and the other tenor saxes fairly high off the ground while playing.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2007, 11:09:48 AM »
...though there are a lot of great pictures of me and the other tenor saxes fairly high off the ground while playing.

Uhhh, did you guys like to pogo while playing or something? And if so, how many of you broke teeth after a bad landing?
Let's get right to it.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2007, 01:13:01 PM »
...though there are a lot of great pictures of me and the other tenor saxes fairly high off the ground while playing.

Uhhh, did you guys like to pogo while playing or something? And if so, how many of you broke teeth after a bad landing?

Not so much pogo and just jumping.  Never thought about the landing problem.  No bad teeth, but blown out lips are expected, after all :-).
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: torture
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2007, 02:37:25 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
I'm forcing my 9th graders to listen during a projects.

Everything is Broken
Sowing the Seeds of Love
I'm curious--do any of them seem receptive to this? None of them were even born then, so it probably seems like ancient history to them.

Yes, it's all ancient to them.  Even the Indonesian Tsunami.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2007, 09:06:25 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "RGMike"
I've said this many times, but even if he'd never been an Eagle, this song and "Boys of Summer" would earn him legend status.

I almost agree, except he didn't write "Boys.."

so... he wrote the music and Campbell wrote the lyrics? per Wiki, Henley saw Joe Walsh driving a Cadillac (with a Deadhead sticker) on Sunset Blvd, which inspired that line.

per AMG:

The tune — written and almost entirely performed by Mike Campbell of Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers — is melancholic and gorgeous, and Henley wisely dials down his histrionic tendencies to deliver the most low-key vocal performance of his career, singing the verses in a quiet near-monotone that perfectly counterpoints the beseeching chorus.

FYI, I dug out my 45 of the song and the writing credit is indeed "Henley/Campbell".  Guess you gotta make a deal to get Don to record one of your songs.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2007, 11:21:42 AM »
1.  Bob Dylan - Everything is Broken  
2.  Tears for Fears - Sowing the Seeds of Love  
3.  Don Henley - The End of the Innocence  
4.  Del Amitri - Move Away Jimmy Blue  
5.  Stones - Rock & a Hard Place  
6.  Joe Satriani - Flying in a Blue Dream (BEST OF SET!!)  
7.  Todd Rundgren - The Want of a Nail  
8.  Eurythmics - Don't Ask Me Why  
9.  Alarm - Sold Me Down the River  
10.  FYC - Don't Look Back

So I wondered, since the news clips were all "date-specific", if the songs were too.   Well, the TFF, Henley, Eurythmics, Alarm and FYC were all in the Hot 100 that week, as were such Morey '89 standbys as "Love in an Elevator", "Love ShAAAACK" and "We Didn't Start the Fire". And the Stones and Dylan LPs were charting too. (Interestingly, the Del Amitri LP didn't chart until April of '90).

Here's 10 singles that were charted that week that Dave's never played (and probably never will) but which sure would liven things up:

Bust a Move - Young MC
Cherish - Madonna
Healing Hands - EJ
Back to Life -OR- Keep On Movin' - Soul II Soul
Don't Know Much - Ronstadt/Neville
Shower Me With Your Love - Surface
One - Bee Gees
Kisses on the Wind - Neneh Cherry
Pump Up the Jam - Technotronic
Talk it Over - Grayson Hugh

and those are just from ONE WEEK in October...