Author Topic: Tues. 11/1--it's 1973!!!  (Read 11411 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Tues. 11/1--it's 1973!!!
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2005, 07:12:14 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "urth"
Meant to ask this trivia question Tuesday: What do the ELP and Dr John tracks from this set have in common? (I think this is the first time Dave's played 'em both in the same set.)

The Doctor John track mentions "brain salad surgery" in the lyrics, while ELP appeared on the album of that title.

That it?

Yup. It works for you, it works for me.

I'd never heard the expression before Dr John, and so was shocked when it turned up as the ELP album title.  Come to think if it, I've never heard it used in any other context.

Brain Salad Surgery vs. Polk Salad Annie: FIGHT!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Tues. 11/1--it's 1973!!!
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2005, 10:19:39 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Meant to ask this trivia question Tuesday: What do the ELP and Dr John tracks from this set have in common? (I think this is the first time Dave's played 'em both in the same set.)

The Doctor John track mentions "brain salad surgery" in the lyrics, while ELP appeared on the album of that title.

That it?

Yup. It works for you, it works for me.

I'd never heard the expression before Dr John, and so was shocked when it turned up as the ELP album title.  Come to think if it, I've never heard it used in any other context.

I'd never heard it used other than in those two songs either, but a quick google took me to wikipedia, where the entry (mainly dealing with the ELP album, no mention of Right Place, Wrong Time) starts as follows:

Brain Salad Surgery is an album by progressive rock band Emerson, Lake & Palmer, released in 1973 (see 1973 in music). It features cover art by famous artist H. R. Giger. Both the term "brain salad surgery" and Giger's cover art are covert references to fellatio (note the glowing object extending from the shaft on the cover).

Who knew? (Besides Messrs. Lake and Rebennack, that is.)
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Tues. 11/1--it's 1973!!!
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2005, 01:37:57 PM »
"Brain salad surgery" = fellatio???  Most inscrutable innuendo ever!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Tues. 11/1--it's 1973!!!
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2005, 06:28:52 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
"Brain salad surgery" = fellatio???  Most inscrutable innuendo ever!

somehow related to the phrase, "whip some skull on me, baby"?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round