Author Topic: Wednesday 10/26 it's 1974, at 9:57  (Read 13581 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Wednesday 10/26 it's 1974, at 9:57
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2005, 12:56:46 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
But speaking of wiggy covers, WOS to the Loco-Motion.  Had they dropped the "Railroad" by this point?  Most pointless cover ever, and that's saying a lot.

I can't disagree with the WOS vote, in fact I got this album by mistake from the Columbia House record club back in the day & after half a listen never touched it again.

But I am afraid I have to disagree with this being The Most Pointless Cover Ever.  Madonna's "American Pie" wins hands down and I DOUBLE DARE anyone to make a viable case for anything else.  

At least Grand Funk was in the all-too familiar position (c.f. Idol, Billy) of finding themselves past their prime & scratching out one more hit with a popular cover.  Madonna simply had no excuse.  Like DiMaggios' hitting streak, her achievement is unmatchable.

I know the Princess agrees with me.

And I agree too.  "Loco-Motion" is fluff, and as such anyone can remake it  (and has: see Kylie Minogue, for another Top Ten example). "Pie" was a song totally of its moment in time, specifically about its author's love of music.  To slash its lyrics to bits and slap a dance track over what was left ... just idiotic.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Wednesday 10/26 it's 1974, at 9:57
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2005, 10:30:50 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
But I am afraid I have to disagree with this being The Most Pointless Cover Ever.  Madonna's "American Pie" wins hands down and I DOUBLE DARE anyone to make a viable case for anything else.

Perhaps indefensible, but I'll try:

I specifically recall sitting in a gay bar in Boston called Luxor (it now has a different name, and in fact may have changed names by this point), watching the video channel on the TVs for lack of conversation, and seeing Madge's video.  I felt, much as you did, that this was utterly pointless and un-fun.  But then I saw what seemed her ulterior motive: images of couples that defy traditional boundaries as she repeats -- "We started singing.  We started singing."

The video's essential to the experience, but there you have it: A reminder of music's role as social, vocal protest.

Maddie bears a good witness when she wants to.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”