Author Topic: 29 Jan 2014: it's... 1992  (Read 8593 times)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 29 Jan 2014: it's... 1992
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 10:52:18 AM »
Lennox was an unforgiveably uninspired choice, and there were a couple of frequent fliers, but overall this set turned out surprisingly well.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 10:53:01 AM »
Young Americans into Bruce Springsteen "Human Touch"

Decent song, but yeah, Bruce really missed the E Street Band. Just finished his bio, which stated Springsteen just needed a little (read a decade) time away.

was that a Dave Marsh bio or a real one?  ;)

Peter Carlin, the book came out in the fall.

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 10:58:41 AM »
Renee: BOS Bruuuuuuce; VHMs to Neil and Tori
Tuned to a natural E

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2014, 10:59:16 AM »

Decent song, but yeah, Bruce really missed the E Street Band. Just finished his bio, which stated Springsteen just needed a little (read a decade) time away.

Funny I was having that same thought. I saw him in Sacto on that tour, which was lacking to say the least. It was obvious that he really needed the E Streeters behind him to provide that solid platform for him to reach the heights he's known for. I was very happy when they came back into the fold in the late 90s; I just wonder what took him so long.

Just curious, which bio were you reading? I've been thinking about picking up the one by Peter Carlin.

ETA: And I see you already answered that question. Must remember: read to the end of the thread.
Let's get right to it.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2014, 11:09:52 AM »

Funny I was having that same thought. I saw him in Sacto on that tour, which was lacking to say the least. It was obvious that he really needed the E Streeters behind him to provide that solid platform for him to reach the heights he's known for. I was very happy when they came back into the fold in the late 90s; I just wonder what took him so long.

Just curious, which bio were you reading? I've been thinking about picking up the one by Peter Carlin.

ETA: And I see you already answered that question. Must remember: read to the end of the thread.

Yep, I get that an artist might want to record a song or two or possibly even an album without the usual group of cohorts. But you’d think in Bruce’s case he’d recognize pretty quickly how important his bandmates were. My understanding is that he didn’t communicate the desire for independence in the best way possible, which led to a lot of “WTF” feelings.

I still have the book if you would like to borrow it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 12:17:17 PM »
1. Making Plans for Nigel - Primus
2. Creep - Radiohead
3. Dyslexic Heart - Paul Westerberg
4. Helpless - Sugar
Movie clip: The Player
5. Shark Attack - The Wailing Souls
6. Move This - Technotronic
7. Walking on Broken Glass - Annie Lennox
8. Harvest Moon - Neil Young
9. Crucify - Tori Amos
10. Human Touch - Bruce Springsteen
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2014, 02:33:31 PM »

Yep, I get that an artist might want to record a song or two or possibly even an album without the usual group of cohorts. But you’d think in Bruce’s case he’d recognize pretty quickly how important his bandmates were. My understanding is that he didn’t communicate the desire for independence in the best way possible, which led to a lot of “WTF” feelings.

I still have the book if you would like to borrow it.

Thanks for the offer! I'm heading back to Oregon tomorrow and have a sizable stack of reading awaiting me once I get there, but if I'm back down here in a few months I might hit you up.

Btw, if there are any other Todd Rundgren fans around these confines, I just finished a bio of him called "A Wizard, A True Star" that I enjoyed quite a bit. It has the slightly unique angle of looking at him through his album productions, for other artists as well as himself. So there are lengthy passages on albums he's produced by the New York Dolls, Grand Funk, Meat Loaf, Patty Smith, Cheap Trick, and several others, in addition to his solo work and that with Utopia. It definitely appeals more to his fans than the casual reader, and I liked it quite a bit.
Let's get right to it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2014, 09:36:06 PM »
1. Making Plans for Nigel - Primus
2. Creep - Radiohead
3. Dyslexic Heart - Paul Westerberg
4. Helpless - Sugar
Movie clip: The Player
5. Shark Attack - The Wailing Souls
6. Move This - Technotronic
7. Walking on Broken Glass - Annie Lennox
8. Harvest Moon - Neil Young
9. Crucify - Tori Amos
10. Human Touch - Bruce Springsteen

While there were def. some LN's, I'll give this set credit for trying to be interesting.

On an unrelated note, I'm glad that B. McGee brought up the G.S.'s general aversion to facts today.  I'm all for difference of opinion (and the GSs are generally respectful of that) but when facts come up against some of their whimsical hypotheses it gets a completely different reaction. It seems to have become more and more noticeable lately. /Rant
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:43:14 PM by radical347 »

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 05:48:25 AM »
On an unrelated note, I'm glad that B. McGee brought up the G.S.'s general aversion to facts today.  I'm all for difference of opinion (and the GSs are generally respectful of that) but when facts come up against some of their whimsical hypotheses it gets a completely different reaction. It seems to have become more and more noticeable lately. /Rant

Obviously, I hear you loud and clear (and thank you for catching that I wasn't being ironic). Both personally and professionally, aversion to facts by those around me in favor of whimsical 'flavor of the week' thoughts has been a huge issue over the last few years.