Author Topic: 2 July 2013: it's... 1969  (Read 11923 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 2 July 2013: it's... 1969
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2013, 10:37:59 PM »
Crappy day to have a 10 am client meeting that just ended. 

BOS Led Zep, but only because it's the only one I've heard so far.  Catching up on posts show that all of 'em are excellent.

Never tire of Loan Me A Dime.
Glad Rod got to hear this.  Zep is not my favorite band, but their first album was truly special, and this is kind of the quintessential light/heavy track.  So much more than just a lot of headbanging.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2013, 10:44:51 PM »
Boz et al got BOS, but she was shocked that the Beatles got no Best o' set votes from the fogheads. Could be an indication of how good some of the other songs were, or it might be that TBOJAY is not a particularly strong Beatles song.
I'd vote for both of those factors. It's funny, cause I was thinking of knee-jerk BOSing the Beatles (yay), but then I thought, no, this song really isn't very good, and is mainly notable for predictable overreaction by zealots thinking John is back on his bigger than Jesus kick again.

I think it's a good song, but it's very much a FF, and possibly LN as well.  At any rate, it gets a
lot of play, and I think the many other strong songs in today's set that aren't heard as often
simply caught people's attention.

The other Beatles alternatives would come from Abbey Road, and just about everything on
that album gets a lot of play as well.  1969 is one of the best years with loads of overlooked
material, and evergreens like the Beatles get overplayed.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2013, 10:48:15 PM »
Redemption for yesterday's fest of mediocrity.

Boz, Duane and the Muscle Shoals rhythm section, trying to bum a dime. Stellar.
It's funny, I feel like I've heard this a lot lately, but it's such a stand out tune, I still enjoy it, as it reminds me of different live performances.

Well, it did appear in a '69 set from February 22nd, along with Your Saving Grace.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2013, 10:54:21 PM »
10. Hot Smoke and Sassafrass - Bubble Puppy

For some reason, I was curious about this group, and surfed a bit.  Stumbled across this:

"We came home after playing the song, and we needed some words," recalls Fore. "We were watching The Beverly Hillbillies. Granny was berating Jethro for something, and she goes, 'Hot smoke and sassafras, Jethro, can't you do anything right?' That's where it came from."

So, the Beverly Hillbillies clip was connected!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2013, 11:01:02 PM »
A hot set on a hot day... and a long one too.  About 52 minutes.

Today's bust-out was The Band's Look Out Cleveland.

While I think that 1971 is the best year ever, it holds that distinction by the slightest of
margins.  In my opinion, 1969, 1970, and 1971 create a lofty plateau that is the height
of the pop/rock genre.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2013, 11:02:50 PM »

While I think that 1971 is the best year ever, it holds that distinction by the slightest of
margins.  In my opinion, 1969, 1970, and 1971 create a lofty plateau that is the height
of the pop/rock genre.
Just as a data point, what year did you graduate from high school?

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2013, 10:15:45 AM »

of the pop/rock genre.

Not that this was directed at me, but I would agree with him, and I graduated in 1977.
Let's get right to it.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2013, 10:01:51 PM »
of the pop/rock genre.

My views on the arc of pop/rock music and which years are "good" and "bad" developed largely
after listening to 10@10 for a few years and taking note of the distribution of 10@10 sets I was
moved to record.  Prior to that I didn't think of music very much in terms of the year of its release
(or charting), but rather when I discovered it -- in other words, as the soundtrack of my life.  Much
of the music I like I did not hear for the first time until after the year of its release; in some cases,
many years after.